Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Golf MK3 16V - The Bottomless Moneypit

So, two weekends ago, I asked my girlfriend to marry me, and she said yes! BONUS! ( She's the one on the right... )

Repping Candy:

If this build wasn't slow enough already, it's now going to get even slower as all my spare change is now going to the wedding fund . To keep this car related though, here is my Fiancée Dee with some of my cars over the last couple years:

This Polo literally used more Oil than Petrol haha!

She doesn't drive yet, but really loves her classic VW's and 80s/90s hot hatches. Her Dad used to build cars in the Max Power era for audio competitions and has owned all sorts from E30's to MK1 GTi's to 205 Dimmas and the like. So with our help too, she'll be able to find a cool first car hopefully and stay away from the financed Corsa's and Fiat 500's that every other girl seems to drive around here.

Nothing major in the way of a car update, but I did a bit of spannering on the MK4 on Friday as my Track rod end gave up the ghost. Think it needs the inner doing too though as its still super clunky and floaty steering

Last edited by Benjaholic; 09-09-2019 at 03:53 AM.

Congrats on the marriage

Congrats dude!
    2002 Lupo Open Air / Static / Mile Eater / Top Motor

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/nicholasplatts

well this has progressed since i last checked in on it.

congratulations on getting engaged, Wedding is the most expensive thing I've ever done. Was cheaper doing my trip!!
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Quote Originally Posted by Firstcarlife View Post
    Congrats on the marriage
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggerdon View Post
    Congrats dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    well this has progressed since i last checked in on it.

congratulations on getting engaged, Wedding is the most expensive thing I've ever done. Was cheaper doing my trip!!
    Cheers guys

Ahhhh I know! Tell me about it... I never realised how expensive food is, it's crazy! . Luckily we've been saving for a while now so we have a good chunk set aside.

Car wise, I have a small update for the MK3. I’ve had her stored in a crappy lockup since I bought her two years ago. Anyways, me and two mates have decided to get a bigger space between us. So we now have a unit big enough for four cars, a sink, a toilet, a fridge... And most importantly, its watertight, and has lights. We’ve got everything we need. I moved the car in Sunday and I'm happy

I’m absolutely buzzing because it now opens up a lot of different options for the car.

One of the lads (Chris) in our unit has a B4 Passat Variant, which he has just started doing a 20VT swap on, my plan is to help out and then once finished, start my own engine build, whether it be a 20VT swap, or strapping a turbo onto the ABF it currently has, I’m not sure, but I really do like the idea of Turboing a non Turbo engine. Here's his boat. He drives a pretty clean static MK5 Golf as a daily, so this will end up pretty sweet without a doubt.

The other lad (Rory) is the one who bought the Polo off of me, so that means I can still see its progression, in fact, we started stripping the engine together, the day it went into the unit haha.

The access is really good for getting lowered cars in, but the most important bit is, we have a Sofa

New place looks awesome!
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Quote Originally Posted by gnmzl View Post
    New place looks awesome!
    Cheers man! We really love it

So!

In a week of madness, I've yet again sold the Estate, and bought myself a 1.0L Lupo as a daily

The idea is to drive it until Dee passes her test, and then give it to her, and the money I'm saving in the meantime driving a smaller car means I can free up funds for the Wedding, and the MK3.

Anyways, here it is:

Picked it up on Saturday night, took it to the unit and checked it over properly, then woke up 6:30am Sunday morning to take it to Wales for an uplift day at Antur Stiniog. The car never missed a beat and I've fallen for it already haha.

It's got 72,000 miles from new, 11 months MOT, and needs a gearbox. I got it super cheap and I've already bought a gearbox for it from the breakers yard. It wants for nothing else so it should make a pretty decent car.

Oh. and I've already bought coilovers for it .

GANGSTA SHIZZ ft. my mate Chris's static MK5.

Last edited by Benjaholic; 10-01-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Yes, 1.0 gang!

Jealous of the new space, I need that too

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonLiri View Post
    Yes, 1.0 gang!

Jealous of the new space, I need that too
    We need an international gang sign to prove how dangerous we are

Ahh man, if you ever find it possible, do it. It's not only a workshop but it's a pretty good sesh house too haha!

In other news. The finest of ching chong springy boys arrived last night! I'll be fitting them tonight so check tomorrow for updates

Lupo is now a Stancey Boi.

Ish......

I'm currently running full Whacky Racers Dragsteresque fitment , because I managed to fit the front coilovers without any issues, but then one of the rear shocks wouldn't come out due to a stripped bolt. I work in a factory so I thought it'd be best to leave the rears til the next day, and grab a fresh couple of bolts from work in the meantime in case I snap one whilst removing. So, here's some pics:

I'll be fitting the rears tonight .

I would have posted these on Friday morning, but I was super ill all day yesterday, but here are the photos of the finished product a la Lupo!

Went to the unit on Thursday night straight after work and got down to business!

Here's some piccies! Also a side note... Even though this is technically Dee's car, I've enjoyed this first week of Lupo ownership so much more than my last full year of MK4 Golf ownership. I cannot stress how much I love this little thing! <3

Excuse my rusty brake drums. I'm going to re-black them at some point, before I buy wheels for it

Shock comparison:

Spring comparison:

New shock fitted, and spring cup (I later removed the lower adjuster so I could get the rear a tad lower)

Springs in!

End result! Featuring the newest addition to the 90's Rotbox Unit. The MK1 Caddy: Pretty jealous of this one I'm not gonna lie!

It's slowly getting there, not too bad progress to say that I'd only had the car for four days

I've got a few more plans for it, I'm after some four spoke wheels, preferably 14" or 15". And I think I'll end up taking the second adjuster out too so I can get the rear a bit lower. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy it as my daily.

P.S. The breakers yard gearbox fell through as it wasn't as described, but I've managed to score a replacement gearbox with no issues for £55 so I'll be tackling that and putting a fresh clutch in too in the next couple of weeks. Keep a lookout!
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 10-07-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Small update, I did a proper wiper delete and rear debadge.

Looks a lot cleaner imo

In other news, my clutch kit has now arrived, just waiting on gearbox oil now, so hopefully I'll get that by Monday so I can swap out the gearbox and then I can enjoy cheap stress free motoring once and for all. Who am I kidding right?

So jealous we never got those over here. Looks like such a fun little car. Cant wait to see it with wheels. Looks 100x better lowered down.
    97 M3 GT2
    2018 SIERRA TOW RIG

Lupo gang!

You need much shorted rear springs and you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    So jealous we never got those over here. Looks like such a fun little car. Cant wait to see it with wheels. Looks 100x better lowered down.
    Ahhh man they're such a mint little car to drive, only little bit longer until you can import one haha

Still not sure what wheels to pick, but I really fancy some three/four spokes, I love Renault Turbines too though.

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonLiri View Post
    Lupo gang!

You need much shorted rear springs and you're fine.
    I agree 100% it needs to go lower!

Few pictures of my 18.5hr Gearbox and Clutch swapping adventure.

Took a bit longer than it should have done because of a few little issues that I couldn't work out because I was hungry, tired and had been smashing cans of lager all day whilst doing it .

My "precision" clutch setting tool. i.e. a socket with lekky tape wrapped around it haha:

Anyways, I finally got it all back together very late at night, and then set off first thing the following day on a 220 mile trip to Cambridge for the weekend. The car performed faultlessly

This story isn't all fairytales though, I left the car parked outside my Aunts house on the outskirts of Cambridge town, went out shopping for the day and came back to find somebody had bumped it and done a runner. Absolute arsehole . I may be able to pop it out a bit and disguise it, but that's not the point

Lowered the rear end another 15mm approximately last night, took the rear adjuster out completely so now the spring is just sat on the perch. Looks a tad better but still nowhere near low enough. Here's some pics.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Overall height now sits a bit flatter though, which is what I was aiming for. In other news, I got creative, used some of my old skateboard wheels and spiced up my interior. Thanks to Spitfire wheels and Bones bearings I can now wind my windows faster than the average electric ones .

Also, thought I'd drop a few pics of my friend Ryan's static T5, he came to play at the unit last night and I helped do a couple jobs on it. Photo's don't do it justice, it's crazy low!

Man you need shorter springs if you wanna go lower at the rear, and others ammo if you want to be comfortable