Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf MK3 16V - The Bottomless Moneypit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Golf MK3 16V - The Bottomless Moneypit

So,

I'll introduce myself, my name is Ben and I'm 20 years old and living in the North West of England.

I've been wanting a project car for as long as I could remember so in June 2017 I bought this.

These are the photos from the day that I bought it.

It's a 1997 MK3 Golf GTi 16 Valve.

It's got the 2 litre ABF engine with 150ps. Thankfully it's not an 8 valve haha.

To cut a long story short, I realised that I overpaid for it after I bought it and realised the extent of the rust underneath and a few other underlying issues. I have completely fallen in love with it though and couldn't bring myself to sell it on or part it out.

Here is a selection of photos of what I found underneath :0

Both arches were goosed and the sills were like paper mache.

My current plans are to get it MOT friendly (as it had a hooky MOT on it when I bought it) and then start to mess about with the wheels and fitment. Also, I need to remove that horrendous exhaust! Hahaha

I've replaced the sills, skimmed the arches and both front wings so far, and will add photos once I'm on my next lunch break .

New wings fitted and sprayed too, I need some new bumper bolts as the threads were completely stripped haha.

So this now brings us to the present day, I now own a rust free car at least, and have a good base to work from. Modification wise, so far she has had a set of smoked front indicators and fog blanks, I sprayed my VW emblems black, fitted pressed plates because scene haha. And fitted a Momo Shuttle wheel and Anniversary Gear Knob to replace the worn out Lupo GTi Wheel and Knob that it had before.

Fogs Before and after

Momo

This is going to be a slow build, as I'm on a bit of a budget. But I'll try to update it whenever I can.

Did a little Photoshop of my plans for her though so far,

As she sits now:

Hopefully achievable without too much effort;

THANKS FOR READING XOXOXOX
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 05-07-2019 at 05:39 AM.

In some ways it's better with a rough start. The connection to the car gets stronger somehow. It's fun how we people work haha :P

Cool idea with the wheels. Are you going to rock some kind of coilovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Seven View Post
    In some ways it's better with a rough start. The connection to the car gets stronger somehow. It's fun how we people work haha :P

Cool idea with the wheels. Are you going to rock some kind of coilovers?
    Yeah I agree, I think it's funny how people can get so attached to a tonne and a bit of metal and plastic. But, like you say, we do haha

Ahh thankyou, I'm still undecided on wheels to be honest, I'm still thinking of running Porsche D90's or 928 7 Slots... She is sat on some rather crusty eBay coilovers at the minute so I'm going to see if I can wind them down at all, if so then I'll probably run those for this year and buy some decent ones over next winter when she's back in my lockup.

interesting start! hope it comes together like you plan.

if you do decide to run some Porsche wheels drop me a message as I can make you up some wheel adaptors for them
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Quote Originally Posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    if you do decide to run some Porsche wheels drop me a message as I can make you up some wheel adaptors for them
    Hey thanks mate, if I can't find a set with the wheels I'll deffo give you a shout. I love your E36 by the way, I'm always lurking on your build hahahaha (:

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaholic View Post
    Hey thanks mate, if I can't find a set with the wheels I'll deffo give you a shout. I love your E36 by the way, I'm always lurking on your build hahahaha (:
    haha lurk away my friend. Maybe one day I will finish it... but probably not.
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

I did a bit of digging and found a couple of old photos from a previous owner too. These photos almost look like somebody cared about it, I bet the sills were already gone though haha!.

Here it is running polished up Mercedes Toliman wheels. I kinda like it like this but I want to do my own thing.

Last edited by Benjaholic; 01-18-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Another UK guy on S|W! Welcome mate.

Good start too, I was actually contemplating getting a MK3 when I had my old polo... I'll scratch the itch one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mehowski View Post
    Another UK guy on S|W! Welcome mate.

Good start too, I was actually contemplating getting a MK3 when I had my old polo... I'll scratch the itch one day!
    Thanks mate, it's going to be slow build like I say, but I'm hoping to get her looking reasonable this year haha. Yaaaaaasssss! MK3's are great, I know they get a bad rep but I love them ...

Love your E46 by the way, looks mint my friend.

* Small update *

I've just bought these genuine Hella Quads off of a guy on facebook, here they are pictured on his MK3.

Should be picking them up in the next week or so as they are in Bedfordshire and I'm up North haha.

* Small update *

I've just bought these genuine Hella Quads off of a guy on facebook, here they are pictured on his MK3.

Should be picking them up in the next week or so as they are in Bedfordshire and I'm up North haha.

haha damn trek, if you need anything from Essex which is "collection only" I don't mind helping and posting them up to you.
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

haha damn trek, if you need anything from Essex which is "collection only" I don't mind helping and posting them up to you.
    Aw cheers man that's proper sound of you, it is a trek though I agree haha.

If I see anything down there though I'll let you know, likewise, if you see anything Lancs/Yorkshire way give me a shout and I'd be happy to return the favour

Not really much in the way of updates as of yet, but I have bought myself a VR6 front splitter and some new gear knob/handbrake gaiters (try to contain your excitement hahaha ).

Should be picking up my lights next weekend too, as I'm going "dahn sahhf" to see the family so I'll no doubt leave the splitter etc unfitted until I get them and I can have an afternoon fitting new parts

looking forward to seeing the update.

no matter how small or minor the change is, an update is an update and in most cases its the smaller details that make the build. keep up the good work.
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

looking forward to seeing the update.

no matter how small or minor the change is, an update is an update and in most cases its the smaller details that make the build. keep up the good work.
    agreed 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by s t a y g o l d View Post
    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kittenpuncher View Post
    agreed 100%
    Cheers guys, yeah it's often the little things that are the most satisfying ones .

Damn if it was rusty!

Great steering wheel combo

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonLiri View Post
    Damn if it was rusty!

Great steering wheel combo
    It was indeed hahaha! Although, we all know that rust is just budget weight reduction right?

Hehe thanks mate, I notice you have a similar one yourself

It was indeed hahaha! Although, we all know that rust is just budget weight reduction right?

Hehe thanks mate, I notice you have a similar one yourself
    Like my friends always say to me: "Rust is lighter than carbon fiber"

Yeah, same wheel but smaller and older

Cool little build man! So many people would’ve just scrapped it after dealing with rust like that so fair play!! I bought a Team Momo 300 a while back, awesome stearing wheels
    Bagged 2002 Lupo SE Project (Dead)
    1999 Polo 6N 1.4 CL Daily project

Instagram: @lewdeak

Thanks mate, yeah to be fair it should have been in a scrapyard but, like all car people, I formed an irrational emotional attachment to a lump of rusty metal hahaha. I love your JDO build by the way mate, thing is mint!

* UPDATES *

Thought it was about time for me to update this, I've been collecting parts over the past few weeks so I now have a decent little pile of things to tackle.

Firstly, I went on a work trip down to Ipswich to deliver a van to the company that makes our fridge systems that we use, I work for a company that builds refrigerated vans. Anyway, I had to go down on Friday and then pick up the van again Monday, I stayed at my relatives house in Cambridge in the meantime and thought I'd get the best use out of the free rental car and go over to Bedfordshire to pick up my new headlights.

Hella Quads - They've been sprayed satin black which I think looks quite good to be honest but I'm going to fit them at the weekend and see how they look once they've been fitted. Excuse the photos, they're not chipped, they're just dirty hahaha.

So, In that time, I also ordered these:

Smoked Side Repeaters
    VR6 Rep Splitter
    Red Stitched Gear and Handbrake Gaiters

They have all arrived now and are in a nice little pile in my room waiting to be fitted. Here are some photos, and YES, I know that the Splitter and Side Repeaters aren't OEM, but I really couldn't justify spending VW money on the splitter as I'm trying to build this on a budget as a challenge to myself

Splitter

Repeaters

Gaiters

Last edited by Benjaholic; 02-16-2018 at 11:18 AM.

So, I finally got round to fitting all these parts to my car .

Had a good afternoon yesterday taking the bumper off and fitting my splitter, fitting my headlights and then doing my side repeaters too.

I'll let the photos do the speaking though

Firstly, I started off by laying out the new bits and taking a before photo (as you do haha). I took my grille off beforehand. I need to buy a new grille at a later date as most of the retainer clips are broken and it pretty much came off when I touched it hahaha.

Next, I took the bumper off and fitted the VR6 Splitter. Again, I need to order a new set of bolts and screws for the bumper as most of them are missing... I think that this is a VAST improvement on the original though.

Then it was time to tackle the headlights. Yes! you guessed it! I need to order some new screws for these too as there should be four holding each of them in place but I only had two of them for each headlight. The joys of old project car ownership eh? hahaha That being said though, for the time being they're in nice and solid. I was really happy with these as they just plugged in and worked straight away. BONUS!

Nice one of me dressed like a power chav.

Headlight out...

Me posing with my car

And then, the finished product. I fitted my number plate and then called it a day.

I absolutely love that last photo, I just wish I could clean the car, unfortunately I have no access to water or power where I am and I can't take it anywhere to wash it as it's not road legal... Hey ho. I'm off on holiday to wales next month so I'm watching my pennies but I'll hopefully be getting a set of tyres to go on after that. I'm thinking of some 195/45 R16 Toyo Proxes. Should look fairly sleek.

Ciao.

Not really much in the way of updates, as I'm waiting til payday to buy tires, but I put some gas struts on my bonnet just to keep myself occupied in the meantime .

Much cleaner.

UPDATES!!!!!!!

So, I haven't updated this in a while...

I had to save a bit of money so I could do a few jobs on the car, and afford a holiday away so I slowed progress down a little bit.

Heres a few updates to get you all up to speed...

TIRES:

TOYO Proxes T1-R 195/40/16 mounted on MK4 GTi BBS Montreal 16"s...

Yes, I know these alloys are a bit played out on MK3's but I'm gonna run them for this summer and then find something else after winter, plus, they came on the car so they were a good option to stay with...

I'm not big into the whole stretch thing, I like the look of these because they have a nice straight edge, I'm more of a function over form kinda person.

Fronts mounted...

Next came the rears, I also tackled the horrible job of finally re-attactching the sill trim :/ (What a task!)

I had a little photoshoot today, I'll let the photos do the speaking, she needs a clean, and definitely some wheel spacers to sort out the fact that the wheels look lost in the arches. She'll be going lower in the near future though so that'll help.

That's all for now folks
    Last edited by Benjaholic; 04-05-2018 at 04:24 PM.