No announcement yet.

M5 revitalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the attention to detail. (most) engines really are just stuff bolted together. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Timing guide part II

DSC07596 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Fresh guides never looked so good!

DSC07484 by tom maloy, on Flickr

My original guides were toasted! so toasted in fact that I chucked them without taking any photos, I think out of disgust

DSC07485 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Comparing old chain to new chain, basically nothing visually different (other than the color) no stretch or unusual wear ect..

DSC07498 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Reversal of everything I just did

DSC07508 by tom maloy, on Flickr

New guides, chain, tensioner, updated Vanos spring washer to later model (gets rid of that annoying Vanos rattle) and converted Vanos fasteners to grade 8 and a whole lot of other random wear items

DSC07512 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC07573 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC07688 by tom maloy, on Flickr

All together again

DSC07827 by tom maloy, on Flickr

What could this be?

DSC07552 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Hmmm 1/2" 316L stainless plate

DSC07833 by tom maloy, on Flickr

I am going to be making some headers for this bad bish!

DSC07852 by tom maloy, on Flickr
      Last edited by EasySpeed*Inc; 08-21-2018, 10:25 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the excellent pictures!!

Comment

Amazing how we all start with "I'll just replace this little sucker to prevent future headaches" and then we end up with an overhaul.
          Looking good, watching this one for sure!
          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Very cool! Please keep us posted of all the details as you build the headers.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Love the E39 M5....... Always wanted one, but regrettably they are essentially impossible to get where I live currently; so if you don't mind, I shall live vicariously through you.
              BTW, are these headers gong to be as crazy as everything else that you build?

Comment

Love the E39 M5....... Always wanted one, but regrettably they are essentially impossible to get where I live currently; so if you don't mind, I shall live vicariously through you.

Comment

M5's are such a cool car, id love to own one

Comment

This is spurring me on to get stuck into my own M5. Love it! Please keep us updated with your progress.

Scottish idiot with an unhealthy E39 obsession... @scumbag_mike

Comment

3D printed the flange for some mock up

20170913_154905

Blue flanges would be interesting though
                      DSC07560 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Also turned out to be a great pattern as well
                      DSC07844 by tom maloy, on Flickr

I decided to make the flanges by manual machining, something I have always wanted to do with the old Bridgey
                      DSC07867 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Blues stainless brother, these flanges are 316 SS and the tubing 304L SS
                      DSC07870 by tom maloy, on Flickr

This is where auto feeding bandsaws shine, long cuts are a breeze with this beast
                      DSC07960 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Box O tubes
                      DSC07980 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Cutting continues
                      DSC07990 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Hang em high
                      DSC07996 by tom maloy, on Flickr

I also have a set of super sprints for helping with the mock up process, will make this way easier
                      DSC08012 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Serious plug
                      DSC08020 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Stainless is no joke machining, but once you get the feed speed down it cuts quite nicely, also the high quality hole saw is key
                      DSC08043 by tom maloy, on Flickr

The holesaw is just the first step, I will be boring the I.D. to the correct diameter
                      DSC08022 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Till next time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                        Amazing how we all start with "I'll just replace this little sucker to prevent future headaches" and then we end up with an overhaul.
                        Looking good, watching this one for sure!
                        Story of my life haha! Its a sickness I think but I don't mind going over board, Thanks!

Originally posted by BlueSapphireTribe View Post
                        Thanks for the excellent pictures!!
                        My pleasure, I enjoy the photography as much as the fab work, Thanks!

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                        Very cool! Please keep us posted of all the details as you build the headers.
                        Will do my friend!

Originally posted by Tate View Post
                        Dude I am sorry to hear that, hopefully this build helps as much as possible.

Originally posted by issa_m3 View Post
                        M5's are such a cool car, id love to own one
                        Get one! They are fairly cheap all things considered, except for the parts and maintenance....

Originally posted by thirtynine View Post
                        This is spurring me on to get stuck into my own M5. Love it! Please keep us updated with your progress.
                        Its one of those things where you kinda just have to jump and bite the bullet, totally worth it if you plan to keep it long term. I always tell myself where else can you get 400hp, 6 speed, 4 doors, rear wheel drive for well under $20K. New Chevy SS is the only true alternative I feel..
                        sigpic

Comment

I was a little skeptical about buying one of these due to all the needed replacements and potential nightmares, but after browsing this thread, I'm confident that none of it is difficult to overcome. I'll be checking out some other threads of yours for sure!

Comment

New tools! cheap ones at that

It bores holes, I am sorry I wish it was more interesting than that

I need to open these about 1/8" to reach the 1 3/4" I.D.

Boring was a surprisingly fast process, drilling the flange thru bolt holes now

Mini production mode

Cut a small relief to help with centering the tubing when fabricating the runners

The final product

Octuplets

Now to the not so fun part, tearing these super sprints apart and then we can start the header building process!

This took many hours of fighting to get these things all back apart

Now that they are apart the really fun stuff can start

Next update will involve many tubes being cut and tacked
                            sigpic

Comment

The thing about making headers is you need at least two points, A being the exhaust ports and B being the location of the collectors. Here i will be making a simple jig to position the second point B (where the collectors are positioned) i will be using a set of super sprint headers as a guide

Bolted the SS's onto the engine,will be then bolting the entire sub frame/engine back into the car to start the making the jig
                              DSC08230 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Before collectors are in place
                              DSC08236 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Collectors back on, as you can see these do not hang down like other SS's, these were actually modified to fit a slammed 7 series with an M5 drive train swap and were tucked way up as to not hit everything
                              DSC08252 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Here lies the A,B sections of the headers, collectors are a kit
                              DSC08396 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Its a simple jig that will be bolted to the trans
                              DSC08277 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC08295 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC08430 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Tacked collectors to jig
                              DSC08467 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC08474 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Now that A,B are in place i can start the tube making
                              DSC08233 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC08547 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Pie cuts are for fine tuning, I will be using pre-made bends where possible
                              DSC08647 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC08665 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Driver side is going to be the first side I do, Its more complicated than the passenger, figured its best to knock out the hard one first
                              DSC08686 by tom maloy, on Flickr

The first few pieces
                              DSC08725 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Till next update
                              sigpic

Comment

Love the fab work

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Working...
                                X