X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 BMW 535is

Name: Ben Loveless
    Price: SOLD

Reluctant but super excited to list my beloved BMW up for sale after 3 years of ownership. This car started life with me in May of 2014 as an Alabama clunker. Drove from Murfreesboro down to Huntsville to purchase the car with every intention of putting together my dream e28. Being a BMW enthusiast I had my fair share of the 320, 325, 528 and the eta cars. When I saw the craigslist ad for this Lachssilber over Cardinal Red I was smitten and had to have it. Arguably the best interior and exterior color combo backed by the lively M30 engine and drivetrain.

It wasn't necessarily the four doors or red interior that won me over, the fact that the M30B34 engine was known to be bulletproof resided in this was a match made in heaven for me. The engine and drivetrain estimated 160kish miles without looking at the odometer and continues to run flawlessly. Out back is the factory 3.25 lsd that was just serviced with a flush and refill of redline fluid. Along with the lsd, the transmission was just flushed and refilled. As far as the engine and maintenance, I have a folder full of documents stating everything that was done to it during my ownership providing safe and reliable transportation. A couple things worth noting as far as the transmission and engine are concerned: Shifter bushing are somewhat sloppy, guibo (flex disc) acceleration vibration, and engine oil check light comes on intermittently (no oil leaks, may possibly need a new oil level sensor). All these issues can be address and are simple fixes for a hobbyist. Body engine and transmission are numbers matching to the vin.

As far as the exterior goes, the car went under a complete reconstruction two years ago with all new PPG envriobase Lachssilber basecoat and clearcoat. Paint and all body worked was performed by Clark's Body Shop. Body was constructed to fit the euro front and rear bumpers with the euro lamps and grilles. Original Lachssilber is still located in the engine compartment and the door jambs. Unfortunately, the glass was not removed because I did not wish to run the risk of cracking the glass. It is by far not a show car but will not go unnoticed. Car was equipped with all new emblems and a new mat underneath the hood. All the body panels, fenders, doors, hood, deck lid, and quarter panels are all vin matching and never been replaced.

Interior started life with me with worn out cracked up and split cardinal red leather originals. Sadly, the purist may dislike me but I sourced some good quality german vinyl replacement skins from Steve in California at zoomzooming. Steve specializes in german auto upholstery replacement skins, and I must say the colors and quality are spot on. For the steering wheel I selected a simple sport wheel. I never was able to source a dash without dropping hundreds of dollars so the dashboard is currently repping a dash cover to cover up the cracks. The sound and stereo equipment was just updated last month with a new kenwood 6 channel head unit, 2000 watt pioneer 6 channel amp underneath the seat, two kicker 4x6 in the kick panels, two polk audio 5.25 in the deck parcel, and one 12" kicker sub in the trunk. I must say that this is one of the best sound experiences I've ever heard and really makes those long drives to shows more enjoyable. Even the power antenna still works!

Last but certainly not least, this e28 is equipped with BC's extreme drop coilovers. The suspension was also done up with new tie rods, lower control arm bushings, and thrust arms. The coilovers themselves have 36-way dampening allowing for a stiff or soft ride adjustment and also have a lot of movement up and down to lower or raise the car to the height desired. For the wheel and tire choice I looked no further than the iconic AC Schnitzer Type 1 3-Piece wheels. 17x8.5 et 13 in the front and 17x9 et 6 in the rear. They are wrapped in brand new kumho ecstas.

In conclusion, I do not wish to sell, like I said, I'm reluctant but excited. Excited because at this time in my life, my wife and I are purchasing a home and will be moving. We would love to keep the car but financially this is a wise decision for us. We would use the majority of the sell to put towards our home. This car has taught me a lot, I have grown a lot with fellow e28 people and even gained a few friends along the way. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by egben92; 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM. Reason: Sold
    sigpic
    1988 E28 535is

Beautiful car, hopefully I can swing out to Nashville to check it out in person. GLWS
    My Build:

Comment

Working...
    X