• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option 2 definitely looks like the best bang for the bucks to me

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Wow my last update was in 2017!?

Probably because basically nothing has changed on the car since then.

It's about to though!

To fill in what's been going on the past year and a half. I bought parts, I bought more parts, and then I bought some more parts. Then I was having a convo with my wife and she said "Hey, I don't really want to drive but I want to be more involved in this, how can we make that happen?"

Well, there's not really a form of road racing that needs a passenger.

UNLESS....... you remove the road from the equation...

Can you feel it?

Can you feel what's coming?

Aaaaaaaw fahk ya, RALLY CAR!!

So I ordered a couple spiffy new Sparco seats, the Skol vodka of welders, and went to town getting those bad boys in before the next available RallyX.

Ignore my turd welds, they may not look nice but I can assure you after lots of practice that they are strong. Turns out when you weld on these cars you have to get every tiny piece of undercoating you can off the metal or it will explode in your face and leave a nice crater in the metal where you were trying to weld.

(oh ya some dickhead backed into the hood in a huge truck, at least it's getting replaced soon)

Rally time! My wife did great reading me turn notes as we'll use rallyx to hone our skills before moving to stage rally.

Now this obviously changes everything in terms of what will be needed to build this car, but don't worry, a lot of the plan is staying the same.

I am selling off the big brake kit because rally tires only come in 15 inch, race sway bars and other road race suspension parts. I am keeping the HRE wheels to use as a tarmac rally wheel set but I'll probably be getting another set of wheels for the rally gravel tires, the stock phone dials will work for now though for the gravel .

I did pick up a refurbished factory 968 front bumper off ebay and some 993 headlights. I still need turn signals before I can put it all on though.

The GT2 flares will still be used although I'm worried they might not last long so I need to come up with a really solid inner fender liner. I do have material on the way to make mud flaps though!

Not to let the hype train stop, I saved the best news for last! Remember how I said in the past year and a half I have been buying a lot of parts?

Well, I have bunch of boxes sitting in my office that keeps getting larger and larger. The contents of which may just be the engine swap kit!

What engine you ask? An LS like every other scumbag engine swap commoner?

Nope

It's going to be swapped with the 07k.

Wtf is that?

Well essentially when VW/Audi developed the Lambo V10 they decided to just lop it in half and make a 5 cylinder to replace Audis aging 5cyl engine. The Audi TTRS and RS3 use essentially the same engine as the 07k, except turbo and also has vvt on the exhaust.

I will be using the TTRS forged crank and forged internals from Integrated Engineering and do a full turbo build on the 07k. Going to shoot for a reliable 450-500hp in a car that weighs about 2500lbs in it's current form.

Here's some other fun facts about it:

- can rev to 8500rpm stock where the 951 doesn't live long at 7000rpm.
      - same displacement, 2.5L as original engine.
      - has 12 more valves, 20v DOHC vs 8v SOHC.
      - iron block with cast aluminum head vs all aluminum (alusil) for the Porsche. More boost potential.
      - can be had for <$500 for a complete engine with <50k miles.
      - is 6.5" shorter from bellhousing to crank pulley.
      - block is 2.5" shorter.
      - has VVT on the intake cam.
      - weighs ~20-30lbs lighter overall with turbo/manifolds/clutch/etc. AND the 07K places much of it's weight at the rear of the motor due to the cam-chain assembly and jackshaft driven accessories.
      - cylinder head flows 230cfm (x5 cyl) stock vs 180cfm (x4 cyl) stock on the Porsche.

So this rally car will have a proper VW/Audi 5cyl turbo to make all the right noises as it blasts around through the dirt!! Group B revival here we come!

Enjoy the sound of my soon to be people:
      This is my favorite car of all time the monstrous S1 the sound the speed is like no other !!!
      Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 06-08-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Pics arent working, glad to see you still have this tho.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

YAY for the unfinished 944s!

subbed for pics..

Comment

Cant wait to see more of this! I think I stumbled upon this thread a while back when I first got my 944. A rally build will be great.

I will be interested to see how you fit the 968 front bumper and 993 headlights. I think it could be really cool when paired with the boxy tail lights of the 944. I always thought the 968 was very fun looking, and it feels a lot more Porsche-esque (a la 911) than the sharp, boxy headlight housings of the 944. My biggest complaint with non-euro spec 944s are the big, boxy bumper pads. They just drive me crazy.

Also VERY interested on this enqine swap. The NA engine is fun but vastly underpowered. 944hybrids is where I've gone to do most of my reading, but I am terrified of engine swapping my 944 because I am convinced I will never finish it haha. Maybe if the engine blows, I'll do it then. Really unqiue that you are doing a non-LS engine swap. I don't know much about the 07k, but will you be getting some kind of conversion kit like those available for the LS swap? I know the nice-ish thing about the 951 engine is that it's a little easier to swap into a 944 just because of the size.

Very excited to see the progression of this build!

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
            P O R S C H E P A I ~
            The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              Pics arent working, glad to see you still have this tho.
              The pics seem to be working for me. I have them hosted on google photos which should be stable. Maybe check to see if you have an ad blocker that's blocking them?

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
              Cant wait to see more of this! I think I stumbled upon this thread a while back when I first got my 944. A rally build will be great.

I will be interested to see how you fit the 968 front bumper and 993 headlights. I think it could be really cool when paired with the boxy tail lights of the 944. I always thought the 968 was very fun looking, and it feels a lot more Porsche-esque (a la 911) than the sharp, boxy headlight housings of the 944. My biggest complaint with non-euro spec 944s are the big, boxy bumper pads. They just drive me crazy.

Also VERY interested on this enqine swap. The NA engine is fun but vastly underpowered. 944hybrids is where I've gone to do most of my reading, but I am terrified of engine swapping my 944 because I am convinced I will never finish it haha. Maybe if the engine blows, I'll do it then. Really unqiue that you are doing a non-LS engine swap. I don't know much about the 07k, but will you be getting some kind of conversion kit like those available for the LS swap? I know the nice-ish thing about the 951 engine is that it's a little easier to swap into a 944 just because of the size.

Very excited to see the progression of this build!
              Ya there is an engine swap kit currently being developed for it just like they have for the LS. I'm one of the first 10 to be getting one of the kits.

So far I have the engine mounts, billet valve cover, oil filter adapter, and turbo exhaust manifold. The bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel should be here soon, and then all that's left for them to develop for the kit is the intake manifold and oil pan which should be done in the next couple months. The ECU isn't included in the kit but they are working with Performance Electronics to get an ECU and harness setup that I will likely go with.

That's what's included in the kit and then I will have to supply the engine, turbo and all the things that go with it, the exhaust from the turbo back, plus any other performance parts that I want which will mostly just be the forged bottom end parts for now. As with any swap there will likely be like a thousand small parts, hoses, nuts, bolts, etc that need to be sourced which is the annoying part of swapping.

Comment

some pics work, and others dont?

Comment

So last week this saucy meatball showed up!

That was actually after I had cleaned it up quite a bit. That still-greasy mess, my friends, is a transaxle with a factory LSD! It took a whole lot of work and a rather sketchy cross-country cash wiring deal to get it here but it made it.

Yesterday I took the car over to Comeau Racing which is right near my house and specializes in 944s. The owner, who is an awesome guy, let me work with him to swap it out. He gave me the "new customer" discount but hit me with the "dirty car" fee for having an inch thick of dirt caked on the entire bottom of the chassis that rained down on us every time the car got bumped.

Jokes aside though he gave me a great deal and I'll definitely be going back to have him do more of the 944 specific fixes. I didn't get a lot of pics because my hands were greasy, unfortunately.

Old trans out

Twinsies!

Came home to these yesterday too! Federal gravel rally tires. Going to get them mounted up next week for the race. We are towing the car there to keep the miles on them low since they aren't cheap. After the race I'll be finishing up the HRE wheels I bought way back to be the new street wheels.

I'm halfway through making the mud flaps for the car. I'm cutting them from some huge semi-truck mud flaps I got on amazon. Living here in New Seattle (formerly known as San Diego) it's hard to get outside to work because it's been raining so much. That's going to be the last mod before we race again, though.

The next race is on April 1st so it's coming up quick!
                  Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

We beat someone! lol

I'm not sure if that's really something to be that proud of but it's better than coming in last. Last race we didn't come in last only because someone broke down.

I will say the car is night and day different with the LSD and tires. In practice we were running really competitive times with some of the faster two wheel cars. Race day is a different beast though. With a grid of almost entirely front wheel drive cars, they push all the loose dirt out to the outside of the turns right where I'm trying to put my power down. It's a lot harder to keep up. The guy I beat was the only other RWD car in our class.

If I would be better at not running down cones our times were really competitive with all but the top 3 cars.

Here's a few pics I got. Our class has the best cars in it since it's mostly vintage rally cars!

The next race isn't until November so it's time to start tearing the front end off and swapping over to the 968/993 stuff!
                    Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 06-08-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

It begins...

Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 06-08-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I don't see any picture man, is it just me?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Maybe google photos isn't the best option. It's no good if I can see them but no one else can!

Anyone have recommendations for free image hosting?

EDIT: I think my album may have somehow got set to private so let me know if you can see the pics in the posts now
                          Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 06-08-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Still can't see them and I use photobucket

Comment

This is so sick.
                              This is my signature

Comment

i see cactuses

Comment

Working...
                                X