A 240sx to Piss Off the Purists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 240sx to Piss Off the Purists

Well can't leave well enough alone and picked up another rig. This time it's a 240, a 1990 s13 with 2 previous owners, although they must have been kinda hard on her haha. Car is originally from Virginia and has no rust at all something unheard of in my area of atlantic Canada. Traded my 1974 Datsun 620 project for it and seems I got a pretty good deal. Came with D2 coils, enjuku er spec 10 point cage, nrg suede wheel with quick release, spl titanium arms, 5 lug conversion and quite a bit more.

Was thinking about an RB swap but since it came with ls1 mounts and I had an aluminum 5.3 sitting around I'm going to be going that route.

Some pics

Bolted down the fenders and set the hood on just so they wouldn't be in the way

Interior is gutted waiting on installing the cage. Dash is just sitting in there in this pic

Tearing into the 5.3 here, it's getting full forged internals, cam, rockers, and some head work to start

Why the forged internals? Because of this

Garage is pretty full at the moment

Those of you with keen eyes might notice the stripped Sr20 on the stand in the background, and if you're really looking might notice the sr20ve on the floor beside it. That hybrid is going in my other car (build thread on here)

It used to have a bored and stroked 11:1 fully built l series but that thing was a bastard on the street. Full suspension and driveline has already been done on it, pretty much ever nut and bolt besides cosmetics haha.

Did some more small stuff, decided to throw the bumper and lights on just to make me feel like theres some actual progress on the go.

Also got ahold of a front sump pan and notched crossmember

Glitter because why not

Now for the part that's really going to piss off the Nissan or even jdm purists. Picking up the trans in a few days and going with an old school 3 speed chev automatic. I know there's some eyes rolling now but in the end its my car and i'll do what i want, car will see some strip time and there's just no beating an old built auto with a transbrake in that regard. Especially with the power this engine is going to be making my options for a beefy manual were limited to only a few options.

Keep an eye on this thread because hopefully a placeholder 6 litre will be installed soon to get some major progress started!
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

3 speed auto to my eurropean stick-driving ears sounds pretty awful but hey I never raced at the dragstrip with 1khp so who knows

Definitely following the fully forged big turbo v8 stuff

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Im doing a modern 4l60e auto/5.3 combo in my S13 as well. Just due to budget and making it a stupid street car to hurt feelings lol
      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
      he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Picked up the th400 trans yesterday and while I was out of town did a quick search of the local classifieds for some cheap 5 lug wheels so i could put my 5 lug hubs on. Wanted to get rid of the bent rusted 4 bolt wheels and tires on the car that didn't hold air and found these haha

Some old 70s Cragers, got them for essentially nothing. 15x7 with some terrible positive offset but it gets my other hubs on.... And maybe piss off some more people in the process lol

They poke a good amount but picking up some over fenders soon so they might end up tucking eventually. Going to grab some very cheap (possibly free) tires for the 2 fronts then ill actually be able to push this thing around
        Last edited by CrunkGoat; 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM.
        Instagram @markrogerson
        1971 Datsun 510
        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Well not much of an update but some small progress to say i did something. Was considering what i was going to do about the mismatched bumper and some bare metal and found some paint on clearance for 2.99 a can haha. Gave the car a quick sand finishing at 600 grit before spraying, even if you're half assing something might as well do the proper prep work.

Also picked up some cheap used tires to throw on the cragers, going to go about mounting them at work tomorrow.

Finally got all the old tape off one of my rear fenders, took over an hour with a scraper and a can of Acetone....stuff is really on there.

Instagram @markrogerson
          1971 Datsun 510
          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

There are 240sx "purists"? Where?

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

I like the idea of something different, but just make sure you’re definitely building this for yourself and not getting diverted by focusing on making a ***** baiter (h8r baiter)
              Last edited by MkI; 11-08-2017, 01:52 PM. Reason: ***** gets bleeped out, so h8r added

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

Loving the progress, crazy how big a couple of changes can make a car look completely different.

Comment

Loving the rattle can look.

Comment

Well unfortunately not much to report here Winter has hit pretty hard and just got the car tarped in time, next chance going to push the car into the temporary tarp garage to wait out the winter. The Datsun gets the real garage while the sr20ve swap is completed lol. Will at least finish up the spray bomb job and maybe get a junk block set in the engine bay so i can play around with welding up an exhaust and figuring out where i'm running everything.
                    Instagram @markrogerson
                    1971 Datsun 510
                    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Wow haven't updated this in awhile

Got the car thrown into the tarp shanty shortly after my last post and it sat there for awhile until a cheap 4.8 v8 popped up with all accessories. Grabbed that and threw it in to start fabbing everything up.

Engine dropped right in no problems, besides trying to wheel an engine crane through snow and frozen dirt with an iron block v8 on it...

Picked up some cheap turbo headers to work with. Needed some modification to work but was eventually going to do that

Got the harness all trimed down and ready to swap in

Now for a big 180... My local area is pretty small and this is one of a handful of 240s that are around, as I'm building this it turns out that two of the other local guys are LS swapping theirs too, kind of turned me off of the whole idea and the car sat again... until a RB popped up with swap mounts and harness for a steal

So maybe it's not the "H8tr Baiter" (my friends and I have started calling it that since the previous comment) it used to be but is unique once again! Plans so far are for a larger turbo (hx35), turbo Manifold, injectors, and a MAF to start. Should get pretty close to 400whp and a decent starting point!
                      Instagram @markrogerson
                      1971 Datsun 510
                      1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Why not try to out-do the other LS swap guys instead of dropping the power for an old RB20?

Comment

It aint no JZ, but it'll do I like the RB heaps more than an american v8 though

Comment

Originally posted by scotto View Post
                            Why not try to out-do the other LS swap guys instead of dropping the power for an old RB20?
                            Going the V8 route was kind of out of my normal area but since it came with the mounts decided to go with it. Swapping an RB was always in the back of my mind, The rb20 may be old and not have a huge fan base but itll still make 400whp easy and break the chassis in for one of its bigger brothers down the road

Also snagged some of the few parts I need, turbo manifold, flywheel, clutch and a trans. Might get my cage welded in soon so I can get the dash bolted in place and figure out what I'm going to do for a seat.
                            Last edited by CrunkGoat; 04-16-2018, 06:24 PM.
                            Instagram @markrogerson
                            1971 Datsun 510
                            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Working...
                            X