That "CHOPTOP" - MB W115 / 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuusoEt View Post
    The roof is fully spot-welded and now in place, pretty happy with the results. Shape is ok as I wanted, little bit (1-2mm) too low from the center of the roof but I think I will do some supports for the roof inside the car because there wasn't any and the roof was bit slack ordinary in the middle. But that is only in my mind, nothing hasn't been done, YET.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17804[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17805[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17806[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17807[/ATTACH]
    Roof looks pretty good - are you hammer welding/ "planishing" the seams/ tacks to stress relieve the metal? I know you're using MIG but it still works if you hit it while it's hot.
    The centre of the roof does look like the crown of the curve is missing, and I'm thinking maybe the shape will improve with some planishing? It would be even easier if you have an oxyactylene rig or a propane torch, but the heat from just flattening the top of the weld bead (not all the way flat, though) with an angle grinder should also work.

Other than that, love what you're doing. I've had an old school Merc on the project planning for a while now

Comment

#etenee
      Last edited by Eenurm; 11-07-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdistc View Post
        Roof looks pretty good - are you hammer welding/ "planishing" the seams/ tacks to stress relieve the metal? I know you're using MIG but it still works if you hit it while it's hot.
        The centre of the roof does look like the crown of the curve is missing, and I'm thinking maybe the shape will improve with some planishing? It would be even easier if you have an oxyactylene rig or a propane torch, but the heat from just flattening the top of the weld bead (not all the way flat, though) with an angle grinder should also work.

Other than that, love what you're doing. I've had an old school Merc on the project planning for a while now
        Yes, i have been doin planishing when i welded the roof. The picture shows that roof a bit different than it really is. Also i have a a oxyacetylene rig but havent used it that much i dare to touch the roof with it...
        I have some plans with the roof how do it better but thats need some more thinking.
        I've been doing those right side doors now so not so much with the roof but when the doors/pilars are done i will get it with the roof!

BTW, thanks for the huge feedback! Always good to hear guys who knows how to do something better. Advices are always welcome.

Ps. Käyttäjätilin perusteella täällä forumilla siis on suomalaisiakin?
        Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Did the right-side doors today so thats now done, tomorrow to the other side of the car. Also all pilars in this side is now full welded with TIG so everythings ready.
          Pretty happy with the results, when i got the rear door full welded and little bit of shaving with my air grinder godddamn that looks good. Even with no paint in it!

Here's couple pictures of the process
          So first I placed the door in its place and removed everything from it. Glass, chromes etcetc...
          image24.jpg

Then little measuring where and how much needs to be cutted and with air grinder, grinded all paint from those spots and little more.
          Ended up like this.
          image25.jpg

When i have measurements ok, cutted three times and spot welded with TIG.
          The picture in here shows how sometimes need to be little creative to get all in line at one time....
          image26.jpg

In this picture you should see three welds. Pretty happy how it came!
          image28.jpg

image29.jpg

So this is how it looks like now! Everything went like i thought, good caps with the panels and everything in place.
          Updates as soon as the left-side is in this shape.

Comment

G.o.a.l.s.

Comment

This is super rad. Can't wait to see more updates
              http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

It's awesome, I wish I was half this good at bodywork
                Have you thouht of leaving it bare metal with just some clearcoat? It would show all of your crazy work and be super cool

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by 06RawRsx View Post
                  This is super rad. Can't wait to see more updates
                  Thanks! Updates will come in the weekend, some more has happened than the driver-side doors. More to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                    It's awesome, I wish I was half this good at bodywork
                    Have you thouht of leaving it bare metal with just some clearcoat? It would show all of your crazy work and be super cool
                    Thanks. It's not so hard, just be patient and accurate when welding and cutting things.
                    The bare metal look has been on my mind! It depends how accurate i can/will do the rest bodywork but i would love the metal look with clearcoat. Cannot say yet, so much work to do.

Comment

You are doing a great job Bub. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by JuusoEt View Post
                        Yes, i have been doin planishing when i welded the roof. The picture shows that roof a bit different than it really is. Also i have a a oxyacetylene rig but havent used it that much i dare to touch the roof with it...
                        I have some plans with the roof how do it better but thats need some more thinking.
                        I've been doing those right side doors now so not so much with the roof but when the doors/pilars are done i will get it with the roof!

BTW, thanks for the huge feedback! Always good to hear guys who knows how to do something better. Advices are always welcome.

Ps. Käyttäjätilin perusteella täällä forumilla siis on suomalaisiakin?
                        En ole suomalainen mutta puoliso on, sen takia me muutimme tänne suomeen joulukuussa 2013 ja asumme nyt tässä Espoossa. Ole hyvä ehdotuksista - en sanoisi että tiedän kaikesta paremmin (en ole itse mestari!) vaan on hyvä avoimesti keskustella olen just valmistunut autopeltisepäksi ammattivaihtona tänä kesänä sekä käyn hitsarin ammattikoulussa tällä hetkellä että olen lukenut paljon peltihommasta siksi minulla olisi monta vaihtoehtoja ja eri tapoja päässäni jotka ehkä sinulla ei ole.

Comment

I say paint it. Nothing shows off good bodywork better than a good paint job, as its what's underneath that matters
                          [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
                          [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
                          Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Robitussin View Post
                            I say paint it. Nothing shows off good bodywork better than a good paint job, as its what's underneath that matters
                            Agreed to this. Hard to get good looking paint job if messed up with the bodywork.

Comment

think this thing would look super fly in a root beer brown with some cream white wheels, but whatever happens, it's a seriously rad build

Comment

Nothin much happened, run out off gas with the tig also...so about a week when both bottles are full and in my garage again. However, did somethin what i can.
                                So this is what happened. I said earlier i wanted this to look like scraping and ride it when it scrapes.
                                Pictures about the process....Decided to customize the front fenders little bit, lowered the arch 18mm.

image30.jpg
                                image31.jpg
                                image32.jpg
                                image33.jpg

Front fitment pretty good to me, need to take better pictures with the car outside the garage after i will have full right-side of the car done.
                                Fender is not yet full welded, only spot-welded. It's quite straight, did planishing with it and carefully welded. Its hard to weld with the tig because it's scratch-tig....
                                Been searching new tig but not sure what kind need to buy, not so much welding with aluminium so AC/DC may be too much but not scratch thats for sure!

So now because all welding gas is run out i thought maybe i should get into the steering column. Tomorrow will start to rip off the console and other materials out of the way.
                                Maybe need to check which place and how that should get in place.
                                But more to that later, maybe with some pictures and real progress.

Updates as soon as somethin goes forward, till then!
                                Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X