Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That "CHOPTOP" - MB W115 / 1975

Hi.

I've owned this car now about 7 months. This is my second project car, or third. If I'm right... After couple of mistakes it did end up to my ownership, first of all I did buy it to my dad for his 58 years birthday present. Well, some of you may think "why" and it's easy to answer, because his awesome dude and likes old Merc. He has a W110 and some old cool Volvo's.

I first saw this car back in March 2017 online. Some old guy from Laukaa was selling this after 11 of years ownership. It has been online for sale about 13hours when i saw it and take the phone and called "If it's still available I buy it". It was.
    Went to Monday evening to see the car and bought it. It was been 10 years outside the roads and sitting in cold barn with some old Mercedes that the guy owned, restored W111 and two W108's. And after work week on Friday we did get that W115 to home with my dad. Pushed it to the garage and it sat over night and then was time to start this thing.
    It started and run well. I watched it about 2 weeks and thinking what can I do about it, and then it was on my on mind.
    Laid-out to the frame with airbags, wide wheels with original hubcaps and black paint and restored interior. After that on my mind i want to keep that car to myself. Sorry dad.

This car is Mercedes Benz W115 from 1975. It has 5-cylinder OM617 3.0 turbodiesel with manual 4-speed gearbox in it. Was 220D from the factory but around 1980 the first owner have been replaced the old engine with this OM617 from W123. Everything else is still original. Or mayde I should say, was till now.
    I'm thinking of replacing that with some 6-cylinder diesel or 6-cylinder gasoline engine, maybe some BMW straight-six with ITB's (GOD THAT SOUNDS GOOD)

But for now, I've got something else to do first with this car..Photos are few months old but I will update everything as this thing goes forward.

This is how it looked first day. After sorting out what needs to be done and few test drives we parked it to garage and everything started.
    image1.jpg

Started to rip the paint off, there were lots of layers and filler (if I calculated right 6 layers different paint from the years..)
    image2.jpg

After a few weeks maybe, it looked like this. Also got the airbags and diy-brackets on the car.
    IMG-20170830-WA0007.jpg image3.jpg

The whole car is now on bare metal and airbags working with manual vents. Engine hasn't been touched, only all filters, oil and diesel lines from the pump has been checked and replaced so I can move the car if necessary.
    Now the car looks like this. Laying on the frame with choptop on the work.
    image4.jpg

I've been building this car about 6 months and just now thinking I may start my first own thread for this. So here it is, comment if you like and appreciate all the opinions through this build.
    Need to say something about this build, I've always want to do something different but still try to stay at their own classy what these car's needs.
    Here's only few photos now but I will post everything I do for the car and try do document everything as good as possible.

That's everything for now, updates coming in few days!
    Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:25 PM.

So,

this is updates about the choptop project. I wanna get this thing on the ground. Like really, on the ground. Like tucking to the ground when driving. Making sparks while driving.
    So really need to work with the look of this car. They say "If you dont see it, it haven' been done".

image8.jpg image7.jpg image5.jpg

Started to measuring about which area and how much needs to be cut that I like what i'm doing and the result looks good. We build these things for ourselves, not for internet or for others.
    I have to say in this point, I've done a lot of metalwork but this is my first chopping project so I really do this with precise and time.
    Ended up like this with the first night at the garage.

Made the supports for the pilars so the body doesn't move while I cut the roof out pieces by pieces. And after that one more measuring.
    Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:26 PM. Reason: pictures didn't work

Comment

So here we are for now..

Cut the roof in three pieces and A/C pilars and re-welded back in place. Measure three times, cut once. Everything went well and are back in place with in diameters I wanted.
      22mm was the cut-out part that left with the pilars, not much but I like the results and the idea of doing yourself. So 22mm drop-out and 16mm widened roof because of the form of the pilars, when coming higher to low these widen with the shape of the car. Now just need to get the B-pilars cut off and re-weld with making the roof middle-section go smooth just like it did before cut-out. Thats the hardest part by now I think. Need to make some more supports and then just start to measure and placing the roof panels back in place.
      A-pilars went good back in place, C-pilars wasn't so easy. Need to be re-done those upper window corners with some work but it did went well I think.

Everything's good for now and here are the pictures, within a week I think I may have done the middle-section of the roof so in a week more updates will come!
      I think those pictures looks small in this thread but I dont know how to get them looking like on my computer, uploading them stancework forum says "Failed to upload picture or pictures."

Anyway, here the pic's

image9.jpg image10.jpg image11.jpg image12.jpg image13.jpg
      Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

That's some real kustom shit and I already love it
        Lead-sled-shaved-everything look maybe?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Nice job man!

Comment

So, here is some random pictures about the process or about the little details from the summer. Nothin new with the car, roof is in progress... Some parts still comin from couriers, in a few weeks we have a much better view with this car and maybe somethin pretty different..at least for me, more fabricating ja solving problems but you see it in the future.

Airlift Dominator D2600 bags in every corner of this car, not much a room in front with the subframe but I think i will get that sorted in the future with some modification. Maybe notched and sectioned subframe to this, has anyone ever modified these subframes ??
            6mm lines, so pretty much too slow on the movement, 8mm about to get done in future. Viair 444cc compressor with manual vents.
            image14.jpg image17.jpg

Fabricated and filler repaired one fender in the summer and tried some black paint, on my own eye it needs to be done a little more darker and deeper colour. This was just a test, but were close.
            image16.jpg

Also ordered used, new rear lights (from different places because there was no guy who was selling both rear lights together AGHH) because I didn't like at all those which was in the car when it arrived, same boring as w123 rear light. Both looks like new, but i'm lookin new glasses if comes for sale and notice them.
            I think these new lights that came to me, was in this series on the first model so in before 1972 manufactured models, am i wrong ?
            image15.jpg

And last one picture about the fitment of the rear, 15x9 mercedes steelies with modified clips to the original 14" hubcaps.
            IMG-20170826-WA0004.jpg
            Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
              That's some real kustom shit and I already love it
              Lead-sled-shaved-everything look maybe?
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eenurm View Post
                Nice job man!
                EEROO

Comment

P-o-r-n

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                  I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Nice.

Comment

ideal sir
                      Your mom says hi. =)

Comment

Soo this week has been quite a lot work so not so much time with the Benz and got some other car project what I do when I get the time (some painting and filler work, some old guy crashed his toyota when the first snow came to here Finland) so sorry for the slowly updates with this. But I´ve been working with the Benz as much as possible so something has been done.
                        The roof is fully spot-welded and now in place, pretty happy with the results. Shape is ok as I wanted, little bit (1-2mm) too low from the center of the roof but I think I will do some supports for the roof inside the car because there wasn't any and the roof was bit slack ordinary in the middle. But that is only in my mind, nothing hasn't been done, YET.
                        This is how the car looks now, some of the process and some of the results. Also removed everything from the floor so I can now think what should I do with it, need to re-done but I don't know how, how it was originally or some other metalwork (maybe a little higher )

IMG_20171022_210500.jpg IMG_20171022_210445.jpg IMG_20171101_192537.jpg IMG_20171101_203314.jpg

Also here's a little picture of what the rear fender looks like, this is f#cked so bad from the previous owner. Need to find and order both rear quarters, this was the worse side.

IMG_20171101_192726.jpg

But that's for now, in this week I think I can get the parts from the courier (waited 2 weeks parts from UK, they said the package should be here this weeks Monday)
                        Before I can get the work with the floor I have to cut and weld doors now with the choptop, but after that I think I get to work with the floor maybe and the new stuff also, perhaps RHD stuff
                        Haven't seen those here in Finland yet so that should be something different.

Updates as soon as doors are welded and the parts are in my garage!

Thanks for reading and for the feedback!
                        Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I love that the top chop is subtle. I think too many people take too much out and the car ends up looking squashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Asshole Bicycle View Post
                            I love that the top chop is subtle. I think too many people take too much out and the car ends up looking squashed.
                            I agree. I didn`t wanna ruin the body line also so i just take little bit off. If you know that has been done you see it, neither you dont.
                            Also got the RHD parts today so more updates about that tomorrow! Thanks for the feedback
                            Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-03-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Updates again,
                              Got the steering column from the UK and the first door is now cutted to the right measure and welded together. Pretty happy how it turned out.
                              It's TIG welded because I run out off gas with the MIG, not much about good looking weld because I haven't welded sheet metal much, only stainless with the TIG (it's easier to me to weld SS).
                              Here's couple of pictures about the door, what it looks now.

Like the pictures 2 and 3, repeated that method to every cut ( three cuts were made to the window frame in the door )
                              I think those back doors is going to be little bit easier because those are straight lines, not like front doors shape because of the A-pilar shape. I think I can manage when their time comes.
                              Just sitting right where it needs to be.

image18.jpg image19.jpg image22.jpg image21.jpg

So this is the part what I've been waiting for, right-hand-drive steering column with shifter.

image23.jpg

It's from UK and from 1971 Mercedes W108. Only part what I dont have is the joint from downside of the steering column to the gearbox.
                              In my dads W110 is shifter on the column also but it's left-hand-drive,but I think I need to check it, if it is any help. Maybe need to fabricate those joints on my own. Not just the time to worry about that because yet I don't even know what gearbox and engine I will be using in this car.
                              But for the oldschool and nostalgy of this car, I wanna get that shifter working with the column.

So that's updates about now, more to come when I get more pictures and progress with the doors!
                              Last edited by JuusoEt; 11-07-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X