Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for removing stuck center, siliconed to lip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for removing stuck center, siliconed to lip?

I'm attempting to remove the centers from a set of Work wheels. The lips and barrels are welded. The dumbass who refinished them previously siliconed the faces in. I've tried a heat gun, WD-40, pressing it out with a scissor jack under my work bench. Got one soaking in PB Blaster over night, but I'm not hopeful. Anyone here had success in this situation, or have other ideas?

Shop press?
    Usually Silicon isn't that strong.., can you get in there with a knife or something?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
      Shop press?
      Usually Silicon isn't that strong.., can you get in there with a knife or something?
      No way to get in with a knife.

I was also considering a shop press. My concern is possibly damaging the lips, since presses don't usually have large support plates. The problem I see with the silicone is that usually it's a shock force that breaks the center free, but the silicone is absorbing the shock. You're probably right that they'll need to be pressed out.

Comment

A tire maschine? You could clamp them safely, get the press situated above (or something else) and push them out carefully...

Comment

A shop press ended up being the answer. Laid a few boards down to distribute the load, covered in foam sheets. It took a significant amount of force to pop them free.... estimated about 10 tons.

Never silicone faces in!!!

Comment

Yes, i spent so many hours on the wood, hammer, bucket trick on some never been spilt rs......... never again..... haha

Comment

Working...
            X