No announcement yet.

Felix 2.0 (E30, slow rebuild + S62 v8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix 2.0 (E30, slow rebuild + S62 v8)

Somewhere there's a buried thread of my old car. '84 s50 swapped 318. Well I dropped a valve and blew that up, so we're going bigger and better of course. The text after this is going to be copied/pasted from my r3vlimited account, at least to catch up a little bit, please forgive me.

Alright, around this time last year, I did a build thread for my other car (in my sig) Felix.

So Felix 1 was great and all, but the shell was haggard as all get out, living most of it's life in WNY. We're making him better. Wayyyyy better.

In august of 2015, I shipped a 650whp e30 from NJ to CA for a friend, and had an empty trailer coming home, so to Craigslist I went. I stumbled on a rolling shell listed for $250 on my way through Sacramento, and told the guy if we could meet within two hours, I would be very interested.

1 hour later, I had a shell loaded onto my trailer.

( Pictures from my cross country adventure with a good buddy at mriterphoto.tumblr.com )

Now, the plan is to really take my time on this build, and do everything right. Felix 1 was a car to learn on, and this is the car to do it right on. Enlisting the help of a few fab buddies for some things that are out of my skill level, but everything else I aim to do myself.

Current major plans:
    - Full strip shell. Top, bottom, inside, and out.
    - POR15 the bottom
    - Five lug swap
    - Ground control/Fortune coilovers, condor bushings, sways, etc.
    - d0p3 wheels!!!! for da stance (duh).
    - Custom fit 4 point roll bar, built by a buddy who does racing cages.
    - Shaved bay
    - s62 + 6 speed
    - ???
    - Do a whole mess of burnouts.

I've got some cool tricks and new ideas to try on this car up my sleeve, so we'll see how they turn out. This is going to be a very long term build, because I'm also setting up my 2005 Tacoma for a cross country trip with my girlfriend.

So here are a few kinda potato pictures so far. Upcoming frames will be much better, I didn't have my camera today.

And I didn't take a ton of tear down pictures, because you've all seen that before, but you'll complain if I don't have something up here.

On the trailer, coming home from Cali.

My idea for removing glass, so I didn't fork it up with a screwdriver.

Go-go-gadget invisibility mode

idk

bing bang boom, badabop boom pow.

More updates when I get motivated again.
    Last edited by Brainfood; 03-08-2018, 08:58 PM.
    IG @mriterphoto for daily crap / @wheresmy10mil for car/truck shennanigans.

Build the rack over the past week or so, had some nice weather days pop up, so that was refreshing. (Kinda regret selling my motorcycle now :/)

Still have to build the tip-jig half of it, but gotta grab a jigsaw from my buddy and find some time.

Guest appearance of Felix.

Comment

And this is now current. (8/11/17) The other posts are like a year old on R3v, I've been backed up.

Remember when I built cars????

Been hella distracted after graduating, working stupid hours, parting out jeep's, etc etc. Finally got my ass in gear and here's the outcome. Plans have changed a good bit, so I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. I updated the original post too just because, but maybe you didn't read it.

Most importantly, the motor. The s50 dropped a valve during a highway run with my buddy... self-low compression swapped. (Still have good rods and crank if anyone needs them!)

I played around with the idea of an LS swap, but wanted to keep it in the family. First I bought an m62 (also for sale), and then I managed to find an m5 to part out, wuickly paying for itself. Now it's getting an s62.

I drilled out all the spot welds and cut the glue, pulled the sunroof assembly and made some room for the roll bar.

If you're doing it by yourself and you need a way to hold up the assembly so it doesn't kink the roof, I recommend something along these lines:

Inspiration picture for the interior. Gonna keep it simple. Probably do some dimple-die stainless floor panels or something to break it up a bit.

Shell then got shipped over to my buddy's place, and he's having his way with it currently. Any pictures coming through of the fab work are taken by him, so can't promise they'll be great quality.

Start of the boxes:

Main hoop got bent up today. I told him I wanted it tight, he doesn't screw around.

And that's it for now. Should have some more progress in the next few days. We're tying the cage into a rear strut bar and the diff mounts, which will be an e36 cover with the dual ears. Might be putting low door bars along the rockers, haven't decided on that yet however.

Thoughts on running a fuel cell out back, and using the old tank location to run some exhaust, maybe for a DTM style quarter exit?

Comment

O M G. Following for sure.
        99 GS 400
        85' 190d
        99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
        97' q45 (rip)
        ig: erik.docx

Comment

Very interested in this, I'll make sure to keep an eye on your build.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay guys/gals, been extremely busy with work and some other side projects, and my buddy Evan who has been building the cage setup has been slammed too, he's getting close to the end though, so it should be on the way back to my garage within the month.

SO. without further flapping of my internet mouth:

Started by cutting out the floor and building a jig to hold the subframe/diff in position.

Then proceeded to plate the sides of the frame rails.

Placement of the new crossmemeber and diff mounts. There's going to be some more bracing into the rail plates, and the towers will be tied together and into the diff mounts as well. I'm guessing I'll need to start stocking up on e36 diff covers sooner than later.

And to conclude this short update, I bought myself a birthday present earlier this month from Luther. 6cyl Z3 rear end, likely going to add a second set of calipers for dorifto funz.

I shall update more as I can / as I remember / oops I also bought a 1971 C10 that's going to steal some funds from this for now.

Comment

My buddy is hoping to have the car done by this weekend, so here are today's updates. Rear crossmemeber welded in, and tower boxes built/welded. Started nothing the rear downtubes as well.

Comment

Looking forward for the updates, looks awesome !!

Comment

Looking awesome.
                  E36 Bonnie

Comment

Amazing build, keep this up!
                    sigpic

Comment

Finally found some time to get over and check the car out, mock up the seat for door bar height and check headroom and such. Everything is coming out killer.

Next steps are door bars, a few more braces out back, the strut bar, and we should be good to start welding everything up.

Less talk, more pics:

Anyone have fuel cell recommendations that's not stupid expensive?

Comment

That rear brace setup looks overkill af
                        Very nice indeed

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

the cage is taking shape very nicely, can't wait to see how this goes. BTW what diff is in it? because it looks like a small case, in which case I'd be inclined to think a medium case would suit this car better

Comment

Originally posted by slamitall View Post
                            the cage is taking shape very nicely, can't wait to see how this goes. BTW what diff is in it? because it looks like a small case, in which case I'd be inclined to think a medium case would suit this car better
                            It's a medium case e30 diff with a e36 cover on it. Will be getting a full rebuild with upgraded clutch packs and all new bearings/seals.

Comment

that makes sense, very nice modification, excited to see more to come

Comment

Working...
                              X