No announcement yet.

Ur an idiot for buying this: 1995 Audi Ur-S6 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update actually. Got a little bit done on the car today. (ANTERA PICS INSTALLED ON LAST PAGE) I cut off a new page by double posting lol.

Think I figured out the charging issue. Got under the car and noticed the power cable to the starter was incredibly loose, like you could see daylight through the electrical connection. Tightened this pesky boi down and put the battery on a charger; back to 14 or so volts indicated and the car isn't breaking up under load anymore.

After that, I got pretty lucky. Was at a shop with my friend who does their IT and they have a ton of old Audi body panels out back. One of the owners said I could pay $50 and take whatever I wanted. Managed to actually find a mint black S6 hood and grille with good paint. Installed it, made a huge difference!!! Previous hood was spray painted, dented, and not even a correct S6 hood. The hood from an A6 will fit and looks the same from the outside but the insulation is too thick and rubs on the timing cover.

Also managed to get the bumper grills back in, although kind of half-assed. Everything they mount to is destroyed so used an elaborate network of zip ties until I can get a new bumper.

Do we like the OEM grille better than the badgeless? I have one of each now.

Was also given a set of really weird smoked rear corner lights -- they cut off abruptly so when you look at the rear of the car from the side it's smoked, but they're red when looking from the rear. Not sure how I feel about them, but I'll definitely keep them around. Installed one just to see how it looked. Really have never seen or heard of these before in my life.

Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

The anteras are waaay cooler than I expected! Put some 3D Audi stickers on the center caps maybe?
      Also if you lower it some more the car will look awesome on them!

Good on the new "correct black" hood, looks 100% better now

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Definitely second Audi decals on the Anteras!

And those weirdo markers could look cool...

Comment

Damn those wheels look great, with a touch of camber they will look perfect but really look good how they sit now. Those are some weird but really cool lights as well. Good find on the parts !
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Wheels and grill look GREAT!

Props to you for seeing this through.
            Last edited by KFC ONE; 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I really like the grille with the Audi logo as opposed to the badge-less. Cool taillights. I actually really dig them.
              Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
              and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
              S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

looks hella good man! you should quick adjust that hood though

Originally posted by BozoBubble
                Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Clean

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                    The anteras are waaay cooler than I expected! Put some 3D Audi stickers on the center caps maybe?
                    Also if you lower it some more the car will look awesome on them!

Good on the new "correct black" hood, looks 100% better now
                    Thanks! Definitely want to source either Antera or Audi center caps. And I agree re the hood. As for lowering, I probably won't lower it much more than this anytime soon. This is supposed to be my "spirited driving" car, but then again I didn't plan to bag my Mazda either...

Originally posted by KFC ONE View Post
                    Wheels and grill look GREAT!

Props to you for seeing this through.
                    Thank you sir!

Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
                    I really like the grille with the Audi logo as opposed to the badge-less. Cool taillights. I actually really dig them.
                    Definitely going to mount the other side and run them for a while to see how I like them. I don't want to jinx anything but I have something in the works that should make them look better.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                    Damn those wheels look great, with a touch of camber they will look perfect but really look good how they sit now. Those are some weird but really cool lights as well. Good find on the parts !
                    Thanks man! Thank God you can dial in camber by aligning the car, on the Mazda rear camber is pretty much either camber arms or nothing. I am having some rubbing especially in the front. Maybe I'm being a giant baby but I really don't want to mess up my fenders lol. Although on the other hand, the front fenders need to be replaced anyway.

I'm in Albany GA for work the next two weeks, so not a whole lot going on with the car. I do have hub rings for the Anteras and a silicone Michelin Man (intercooler to crossover pipe) hose in the mail that should be there when I get home. Fuck Albany is boring. Wish I had just brought the Audi down.

Comment

A little preface: I used to use DSLR pics for everything, but I honestly don't have the time anymore. I wish I did, these pics suck. Maybe I will start doing legit pics eventually, but for now you guys get the idea right?

Home for the next week and was super excited to get home! My awesome girlfriend bought me a set of Euro tail lights and the center plate tub required to make it all fit.
                      This pic is upside down, but here's everything laid out. The black center piece mounts on top of the edges of the tail lights.

Went to a buddy's house with a garage because it's been raining the past several days in order to install them. Not really a hard process -- just four 8mm nuts for each taillight, then two 10mm bolts to remove the center panel. The lights are held in with butyl tape to make them weathertight, but I was lucky and able to reuse it. Pretty nice that it was still sticky after 23 years!

Old lights look like this:

New lights on, you can see how the center piece mounts.

Mocked up with a legit German license plate just for fun! Note the mismatched corner lights. I ended up going back to OEM corners just because the fitment on the smoked ones wasn't great. We'll see -- I might put the smoked ones on for real eventually.

All done!!

Stopped on the way home for a pic. E-brake cable didn't release all the way, smelled brakes, pulled off the interstate, hit caliper with a jack handle, we're good again lol.

Also, had to get a pic with the girl who made it possible!! Can't describe how much better this looks.

One more for good measure. The next things to address:
                      a) Water soaking passenger footwell, probably a clogged sunroof drain
                      b) Pretty serious tire rubbing in the front with these wheels. It's been so long since I dealt with this I guess it bothers me more than it used to! Maybe I'm just getting old haha. Will have to see if there's anything I can do to alleviate the rubbing.

Comment

That looks so goooood.

I prefer the all red tails... but hey do your thing. Killin' it so far.

Comment

Loving the euro rear lights, the car is cleaning up well, great job!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                          "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                          SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Managed to dust off the real camera and get some pics of the Audi, although as you can see I'm a little out of practice these days. Adulting sucks. Posting this from another hotel room in south Georgia, hope to be home this weekend. It does look my tax return will be pretty decent this year, it hits my account Thursday which will be nice.

I'm at a little bit of a crossroads with the car right now and I'd love some input. Pretty much have all of the bigger turbo parts ready to go but haven't been able to install everything, about equally due to lack of time, lack of skill and lack of confidence in the car to handle the power. A friend of mine offered to buy everything for what I have in it, which would give me some more money to put elsewhere, although I don't think I would be able to buy the same parts as cheaply all over again. Hmmmmm. It's not like I need the money to survive or anything. Toying with the idea of selling the advans too for similar reasons -- I actually love the Anteras on the car.

Anyway, I just found out that there's a junkyard in Austell that has rust free rear doors in the correct color, as well as a trunk lid. I think the best compromise is to find body panels in the right colors to begin with rather than actually having a full respray done. Front bumpers are extremely expensive so I don't think I can do both. Think I'll sell the Advans too, just because the Anteras have grown on me.

Oh right. Pics.

Comment

I had a set of those Anteras years ago on a w124 sedan. You're making me miss those ugly slugs.
                              Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Read this from the beginning. Love the work you've done so far, Ben! I really like the Anteras on there.

Did not realize that you'd moved to ATL. I miss the DurtyDubs crew there, great people.
                                Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                                2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Working...
                                X