Ur an idiot for buying this: 1995 Audi Ur-S6 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    A cheap German car isn't cheap for long haha.
    i have never read a more true statement

Originally posted by BozoBubble
    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Nice progress!
      Looks like you have S4 mirrors though, which is off. The Audi you have a photo of at the meet is an S4.
      C4's are great cars, but you definitely inherited some neglect. They're fairly reliable, well built, great cruisers, and enough power potential to keep you busy. You're thinking you have 300 hp. at the wheels? What chipset are you using? You'd need other supporting mods. A cheap German car isn't cheap for long haha.

Are you on quattroworld or the FB 20v group?
      Thanks! The mirrors are actually dark blue so I figured they weren't original to the car.

As for power, advertised for this tune is 280 crank so I think I'm nowhere near 300 wheel. It's a Ben Swann "stage 2" chipped ECU with 1.9bar wastegate spring.

Joined both quattroworld and the 20v group and both have been very helpful so far!
      Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
      Love the turn around on this and look forward to seeing this evolve.

if there's anything you need over here in England/Europe let me know as I will be happy to help where I can with sending parts.
      I really appreciate that man, pretty much anything RS2 or Euro is unobtanium around here so I may take you up on that at some point. The Euro center tail cention with Hella smoked lenses would be sweet if I could find some.

Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

i don't like audi' but this one is really nice

Good wheel choice btw!

Comment

Drove to Woodstock yesterday morning to hang out with my buddy Ryan, who has even less reliable cars than I do. With me there, we had two UrS Audis, one manual swapped 2.7T A6, one beater Range Rover, and one cammed Discovery. I had to take pics of the lineup because we realized we had 5 cars that technically ran but none you might call "dependable."

Started off the day picking his C5 up from Eurofed Automotive, then took the cars back to his house. Planned to do my clear corners and Bilstein struts, and also silicone boost hoses for his C5. As these things go, we didn't get everything done but I did do my clear corners!

I was kinda struck by how similar these color schemes were.

Put the clear corners in with only a little bit of trouble (leave it to Audi to make the system for mounting them stupid) and washed the car. I don't think I'd washed it by hand since I got it in July actually! Really stoked on how the corner lights look.

Had to leave earlyish in the evening because my gf's mom was in town so met them in the city for a nice dinner. Of course I get a couple miles down the road and smell brakes. Pull over and the right rear brakes are smoking bigtime... forgot I have to pop the caliper all the way back out when I use my E-brake because the springs on the brake cable aren't strong enough lol.

Comment

clear corners look dope man! you outta get some small spacers for those wheels

Truck Build

Comment

I never really got the appeal of the URS6, but I think this has sold me on them. Love the progress, keep it up!

Comment

Anyway, update time. Fuck. Ok. Take 2. Not a lot happened with the car between when I last posted and Thanksgiving. Took it up to NC to visit my family for the holidays, which was fun but kind of a stupid idea because the car has no exhaust at all. It dumps out of the cats under the front seats, so I got to spend day before thanksgiving traffic for 7+ hours listening to the WUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM of being bombarded with sound waves underneath you. Other than that 10/10 would take on 1000 mile round trip again.

One thing I missed about being at home was the ability and space to just tinker with things. Really need to get off my ass and rent a house. Hopefully when my training program ends I can afford to move into one.

Anyway, took it upon myself to pointlessly clean a $1000 car. Degreased wheel wells, door jambs, etc. Cleaned and vacuumed the interior too.

Dirty:

Who would win, 22 years of dirt or one squirty degreaser boi?

Did the engine bay too. You can see the intake manifold and valve cover are just too far gone and need to be stripped and powdercoated or painted. Valve cover will be easier to do than intake manifold... Anyway, the rest of it definitely looks a little better.

Interior looks a little better now too. Still will need an armrest for sure and probably a reupholstering job on the driver's seat eventually. I'm undecided regarding keeping this interior color -- I prefer black but it would be such a monumental pain in the ass to replace EVERY SINGLE piece.

Found a dog while cleaning.

Also, I tried the OZs on the car again now that it's lowered. Part of me really wants to like it better than the ones I'm running now, but I don't know. Opinions? I think they would look better painted a similar gunmetal color to the DTM wheels.

When I was at home, I noticed on the nights that the temperature dipped below freezing I would come out to a puddle of coolant underneath the car. I knew the housing on my auxiliary coolant pump was cracked, so I walked upstairs one day at work and pulled a new Bosch OEM unit off the shelf. Sometimes it pays to work in an auto parts distribution center!

Anyway, my buddy and I installed the new one. It was all of a 10 minute job, with 9 of those minutes being fighting about who had to unplug the lines from the old pump and touch the hot coolant. It was me. Earlier we did the same repair on his 2.7T which involved removing the intake manifold. On these AAN motors it's just sort of floating there and you can remove it.

The next morning we woke up at 3:45 and headed to Caffeine and Octane, which is pretty much the best thing ever. Outdoors, all types of cars, very chill environment. The pic is my S6, my friend's S4 and my other friend's V8 quattro. Notice my white hood. Oops, didn't expect that when I took the soggy ass hood insulation off.

Later that day, I went out and did a thing.

This is a K24-7400 turbo that came on the 04-07 Volvo S60R and V70R. Ironically, I used to drive one years ago when I made my first post on this forum. The old Audi guys like these turbos because they are cheap, readily available, and really wake these cars up. All you have to do is add a K26 hotside from a Porsche so they bolt up and work with the external wastegate on these cars. The stock turbo is a K24-7000 so pretty similar characteristics and spool -- it'll still have great low end grunt which is what I was going for. Not like I can be driving around at 5k rpm all the time in Atlanta traffic!

Also picked this up... it's an RS2 replica exhaust manifold. Real ones are $500-1000 and the replicas are exactly the same thing but more likely to crack after a couple years. For my first "power" attempt I can't justify spending that much money, and tons of people who are pretty into these cars use the ebay ones. good enough for me, and only $99 shipped. The stock exhaust manifolds are incredibly restrictive, so this is pretty much mandatory with the new turbo.

Now the only things I need are:

-Injectors (Have Bosch green giant injectors, also from a volvo)
                -Tune (Sent my spare ECU off to EFI Express for custom boost and fuel chips as well as a 3 bar MAP sensor tailored for what I'll be running)
                -Silicone reducer to make the intake work (ordered)
                -Block off plate for stock diverter valve
                -Figure out oil and water lines

This sounds sorta like I know what I'm doing but I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. Just wanted to clear that up. But hey, that's why I bought this thing! According to the tuner this combination should be good for 300whp and 350wtq or so on 93 octane, running 25psi. This would be something like 400hp and 465tq with stock-ish torque curve, all for about $1000 for everything involved. Of course that isn't that much, but keep in mind 180whp is what these make stock, or maybe a little less. Kinda nervous but soooo stoked!!!!!

Also, it snowed in Atlanta in early December. Took a walk in Buckhead with the gf and the foster doggo.

Then took the car out.

That brings us to now. Yesterday my coolant light came on and lost quite a bit of coolant while I was on the way to the mountains. It is coming from under the intake manifold, looks like either thermostat housing or turbo coolant return hose. Either way kind of a pain in the ass to get to and diagnose, I **** coolant stuff. I guess with these things when you fix one issue it exposes another that has been there the whole time. Obviously fixing this before bigger turbo goes in but should have everything done by new year's I hope! Damn this was a long update. I can't believe I typed all this twice. Happy holidays everyone. Glad car forums are still a thing.

Comment

hands down my favorite thread on here atm. it makes me feel better knowing someone else feels my pain with rescuing an old audi IMO the other wheels you tested look a billion times better i would personally paint them silver. keep up the good work mane!

Truck Build

Comment

Loving the content, and even more so from someone local to me! Seeing your car lined up at c&o makes me more pissed that I missed it for school shit...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkyoshi154 View Post
                      Loving the content, and even more so from someone local to me! Seeing your car lined up at c&o makes me more pissed that I missed it for school shit...
                      Come say what's up at the next one man! I will probably be there at 5am freezing my nuts off again.

Originally posted by storey618 View Post
                      hands down my favorite thread on here atm. it makes me feel better knowing someone else feels my pain with rescuing an old audi IMO the other wheels you tested look a billion times better i would personally paint them silver. keep up the good work mane!
                      I appreciate it man, you're making great progress on your b5. I check your thread all the time lol.

Have driven the mazda to work every day this week. Not being able to drive the audi is driving me nuts. The plan is to barter the OZs for space to work in and guidance pulling the intake manifold and most of the accessories on the motor to get the coolant return hose, as well as installing the turbo and everything. Friend of mine does work on the side. He wants wheels but has no money. I want work done and have wheels lol. I guess this is a BS copout excuse but I really **** not being able to work on the car at my apartment -- what do they expect you to do if it's not driveable??

Comment

I've read the complete topic, it's quite a transformation from the start till now. Keep it up!
                        Over here in Belgium it's nearly impossible to drive a car like this, the taxes on it are very, very high

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                          Man, I love this look. That big chin of a bumper, and those meaty wheels... I'd say go for it!
                          Lucas
                          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                          Originally posted by LCG
                          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

The Audi is currently in Dacula at a friend's house because he has space. We determined the massive coolant leak is actually the hose supplying coolant to the heater core, which is of course under the goddamn intake manifold, which is kind of a pain to pull on these cars because that's exactly where all the accessories are mounted. Oh well. I don't think the actual fix will be that expensive, and I've been meaning to paint the manifold anyway because it's pitted and disgusting.

Tuned ECU is being shipped out tomorrow after a bit of a delay and a misunderstanding about what "core charge" means. Basically, I thought it would be $650 minus a $300 core charge, but it was $650 plus a core charge leaving me at 650 after I return my stock ECU. Oops. Not much I can do, but this is supposed to be the best out of our very limited options for custom tunes on Motronic ECUs. That price includes an uprated MAP sensor, soldered boost and fuel chips, and the tune itself.

Slow going because of the holiday season. Gf is out of town until Jan 5 so I was hoping to get a lot done on the car! Wallet hurting lately because of tune and the fact that gf and I got drunk and decided it would be a good idea to spend money on a complete set of christmas stuff (tree, lights, ornaments, garland, santa hats, etc etc) at walmart.

Comment

if it was easy to fix it wouldn't be an Audi.

Truck Build

Comment

Ah the Christmas decoration shenanigans. I feel you brother, I feel you...
                                Lucas
                                Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                                Originally posted by LCG
                                High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Working...
                                X