No announcement yet.

Ur an idiot for buying this: 1995 Audi Ur-S6 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how I missed this, but it's great to see another C4 on here!! I've got a built '94 S4 with cosmetic/body issues and a stock '95 S6 with good bones, so I will be Frankenstein-ing them into one complete (presumably superior) car, which will be documented on this forum when that time comes. I'm sticking with S4 bumpers, hood, lights, and trim, so I'm not sure if you're still looking for S6-specific stuff, but I'll have it. I do also have a complete 8.5/10 black Euro S6 cloth interior I'll be parting with but it's very rare in the US and you know what that means ($$$$). I realize you're not exactly trying to build a show car here.

You asked for input, so here is mine: keep the stuff for your build, at least for now. You can always sell parts down the road if your plans change, but it's very difficult to un-sell parts. If you're not hurting for money, sit on it for a while until you're sure what you want to tackle. The car will be ready whenever you are.

Also, that clogged sunroof drain you mentioned can kill an ECU, so that's obviously a biggie, but inspect your rain tray area as well. There are drains there that can/do clog and need to be cleared out. Water in the passenger footwell could also be a heater core... hopefully not.

These cars are basically deathproof when properly cared for and honestly don't ask for much, it's just that parts can be hard to locate or pricey if/when you do have problems. However, the glorious sound of an uncorked 5-cylinder turbo, the oddball/rarity factor, simple understated design, and head-scratching looks you get from people make it all worth it, in my opinion. My 2002 S4 is full-tilt, 600+hp, TE-37s, Ohlins, Porsche brakes, Sporster CS's, and makes a hell of a lot of noise... 99% of people barely glance at it. In the '94 S4, I get comments, questions, compliments, strange looks, parking lot window shoppers, and cellphone paparazzi just about everywhere I go.

Maybe yours isn't where you want it just yet, but they make for great low-maintenance daily cruisers and road trip cars when you catch up with all the stuff the last guy missed. You definitely seem like you're on the right track so far. These are some of the last "modern" cars that you can still work on with basic hand tools and jackstands in your driveway for most jobs, and probably the last Audi ever where you can pop the hood and and access 95% of the components without removing half the engine or front clip. Around 310whp is the sweet spot between stock bottom-end performance and reliability, but inspect/replace/repair mounts and other tired old rubber bits in the drivetrain first. Upgrade to the R8 coils and conversion harness when you do the rest of the turbo/fueling stuff and she'll run like a top. That's my 2 cents.

Subscribed and good luck!
    '02 Audi S4 III+ GT's // '94 Audi S4 RS2'd // '95 Audi S6 donor // '87 Buick TR rusty

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
      Read this from the beginning. Love the work you've done so far, Ben! I really like the Anteras on there.

Did not realize that you'd moved to ATL. I miss the DurtyDubs crew there, great people.
      Thanks CJ! Yup, I've been in Atlanta since last May, I took a job down here with Genuine Parts. I need to get out to Gears and Beers on Sundays, Four Rings ATL does a collaboration with DurtyDubs.

Originally posted by toddzilla View Post
      Not sure how I missed this, but it's great to see another C4 on here!! I've got a built '94 S4 with cosmetic/body issues and a stock '95 S6 with good bones, so I will be Frankenstein-ing them into one complete (presumably superior) car, which will be documented on this forum when that time comes. I'm sticking with S4 bumpers, hood, lights, and trim, so I'm not sure if you're still looking for S6-specific stuff, but I'll have it. I do also have a complete 8.5/10 black Euro S6 cloth interior I'll be parting with but it's very rare in the US and you know what that means ($$$$). I realize you're not exactly trying to build a show car here.
      Awesome man!! Had no idea there was another owner on here. Sounds like a great plan and over time the S4 stuff is growing on me vs. the S6 stuff, but I'll definitely be sticking with S6 parts given the new hood and grille I just found. I would definitely be interested in those parts (even the cloth interior perhaps) but especially the front bumper. This cracked A6 bumper is a pain. I'm not trying to build a show car per se, but the goal is to improve performance, have fun, and save/restore the car. I've really fallen in love with this thing!

You asked for input, so here is mine: keep the stuff for your build, at least for now. You can always sell parts down the road if your plans change, but it's very difficult to un-sell parts. If you're not hurting for money, sit on it for a while until you're sure what you want to tackle. The car will be ready whenever you are.

Also, that clogged sunroof drain you mentioned can kill an ECU, so that's obviously a biggie, but inspect your rain tray area as well. There are drains there that can/do clog and need to be cleared out. Water in the passenger footwell could also be a heater core... hopefully not.

These cars are basically deathproof when properly cared for and honestly don't ask for much, it's just that parts can be hard to locate or pricey if/when you do have problems. However, the glorious sound of an uncorked 5-cylinder turbo, the oddball/rarity factor, simple understated design, and head-scratching looks you get from people make it all worth it, in my opinion. My 2002 S4 is full-tilt, 600+hp, TE-37s, Ohlins, Porsche brakes, Sporster CS's, and makes a hell of a lot of noise... 99% of people barely glance at it. In the '94 S4, I get comments, questions, compliments, strange looks, parking lot window shoppers, and cellphone paparazzi just about everywhere I go.

Maybe yours isn't where you want it just yet, but they make for great low-maintenance daily cruisers and road trip cars when you catch up with all the stuff the last guy missed. You definitely seem like you're on the right track so far. These are some of the last "modern" cars that you can still work on with basic hand tools and jackstands in your driveway for most jobs, and probably the last Audi ever where you can pop the hood and and access 95% of the components without removing half the engine or front clip. Around 310whp is the sweet spot between stock bottom-end performance and reliability, but inspect/replace/repair mounts and other tired old rubber bits in the drivetrain first. Upgrade to the R8 coils and conversion harness when you do the rest of the turbo/fueling stuff and she'll run like a top. That's my 2 cents.

Subscribed and good luck!
      That's a good point regarding unselling parts. I could get what I paid for it, but it'll be difficult to find some of these parts as cheaply as I purchased them, plus motivation is a lot easier when you have the parts already. Speaking of parts, Marc Swanson said I should be around 300whp with my setup without billet wheel, and 330whp if I have a billet wheel put in the turbo. At this time, really not looking to bend a rod lol.

The stuff in the footwell hopefully isn't a heater core because it's just water. Weirdly, I let the interior dry out and washed the car, applying water liberally -- no more water in the floor. I think it could be a door seal issue? Drove the car in the pouring rain before I noticed the floor. It honestly could have been water entering through one of the rust holes on the doors. Really need to get off my ass and figure out how to put the new doors on.

I will definitely be PMing you about those parts -- post some pics of your S4 for inspiration! Would love to have them on the thread and haven't seen them on your profile.
      Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
        I will definitely be PMing you about those parts -- post some pics of your S4 for inspiration! Would love to have them on the thread and haven't seen them on your profile.
        I don't want to clutter your thread, plus I lost a bunch of stuff in a hard drive crash, but here's a couple from when I bought it 3(!?) years ago. It's basically a "1998 steeze" time capsule and I haven't done a thing to it really, other than drive it so far, besides pulling off the HRE's for a rebuild. I'm currently running a set of 17x8/9.5 OZ Mito Type 1's.

The car was on daily duty until about 8 months ago when the Frankenstein build was supposed to begin, but then I had another project fall in my lap and everything got pushed back. Anyway, that will all be covered in my own thread when the time comes lol, hopefully soon. Lots of plans, interior, exterior, suspension, wheels, etc. I'll definitely give you a heads-up when the build begins and parts become available.

I'm actually going to be moving to your neck of the woods later this year. I'm in the film industry, and Atlanta is the place to be at the moment.
        '02 Audi S4 III+ GT's // '94 Audi S4 RS2'd // '95 Audi S6 donor // '87 Buick TR rusty

Comment

I don't want to clutter your thread, plus I lost a bunch of stuff in a hard drive crash, but here's a couple from when I bought it 3(!?) years ago. It's basically a "1998 steeze" time capsule and I haven't done a thing to it really, other than drive it so far, besides pulling off the HRE's for a rebuild. I'm currently running a set of 17x8/9.5 OZ Mito Type 1's.

The car was on daily duty until about 8 months ago when the Frankenstein build was supposed to begin, but then I had another project fall in my lap and everything got pushed back. Anyway, that will all be covered in my own thread when the time comes lol, hopefully soon. Lots of plans, interior, exterior, suspension, wheels, etc. I'll definitely give you a heads-up when the build begins and parts become available.

I'm actually going to be moving to your neck of the woods later this year. I'm in the film industry, and Atlanta is the place to be at the moment.
          Awesome! Can't wait to see your build. Hit me up if you need info about Atlanta. There are actually a few UrS cars here!

Well, had a nice weekend getting car stuff done, even if most of it was minor. Got back from Albany (for hopefully the last time) and went to go do car stuff.

If you look closely, you can see my buddy using the hood of his Land Rover as a stool to rewire the headlights in his C5 A6 lol.

GF took a pic of my ugly mug as significant others tend to do

Did a bit of preventive maintenance and installed a Samco intercooler to crossover pipe hose, aka the Michelin Man. Bought it sight unseen off a forum, turned out to be yellow lmao. The OEM hoses tend to fly off, tear, etc.

I just think this pic is funny.

Remember those weird lights? Played with the fitment a little to bring them in a little more flush to the body. Installed both of them and we'll see how they look. I think they might be growing on me; they're definitely weird but it's pretty cool that no one in the community has ever seen these before. Even talked to some people in Europe! They look better with the Euro lights -- they match the smoked reverse lights in the inner portion of the tails.

Rerouted ignition coil wires, cleaned up the valve cover and intake manifold a little bit. Also removed the broken fuel rail cover -- Before and after. VC and IM really need to be sanded down completely and painted, but I did what I could with the sandpaper we had. By this point I was in no condition to make a parts store run. Idk why but that one coil was driving me nuts...

Then on Sunday, I went for a drive up to SC to pick up some wheels to bring the daily back up to snuff.

Finally, ordered some stuff that should mean we are good to go to install the turbo and related parts. Mostly just hardware and gaskets.

Everyone enjoy your week!

Comment

Not sure if you ended up figuring out the origin or not, but your rear corners seem to be clear/smoked versions of these ones I found on ebay.de

I can't nail down which particular version of the C4 100 they're from. They're obviously not the typical "pink" Euro rear corners. I have a feeling it has something to do with a particular country's highway safety laws. Maybe South Africa? I know those cars got some unique stuff. Either way, definitely rare.

Comment

Not sure if you ended up figuring out the origin or not, but your rear corners seem to be clear/smoked versions of these ones I found on ebay.de

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/W4KUmAt.jpg[/timg]

I can't nail down which particular version of the C4 100 they're from. They're obviously not the typical "pink" Euro rear corners. I have a feeling it has something to do with a particular country's highway safety laws. Maybe South Africa? I know those cars got some unique stuff. Either way, definitely rare.
              Wow! Mystery solved, maybe. Thanks for digging that up.

Ended up sending the turbo off to a place called Turbo Concepts in Michigan for a rebuild and possibly a billet wheel -- we'll see when the turbo gets there Monday. Have been dealing with some issues re water getting into the passenger floorboard, and I think it's the seams in the corner of the cowl. The sealant dried out. Coincidentally, the ECU is exactly where the water is going, so the car is sitting with the ECU in the trunk until I verify the leak is fixed. I used silicone sealant which doesn't look pretty but it's inside the false firewall which no one would see anyway, and this is semi an emergency.

Comment

Nah, ain't South Africa, we have the straight up 'pink' corners.. These cars are a rare sight in S.A.
                audi.jpg

Love the transformation..

Comment

Originally posted by kevvy_dawg View Post
                  Nah, ain't South Africa, we have the straight up 'pink' corners..
                  The only sort of consistency I can find is B3-generation 80's and 90's (in Europe) had a similar rear corner light style, and it looks like the early C4 100's (also European) did the same. However, plenty of B3 and B4 80's/90's have red or "pink" rear corners, and so do plenty of C4 100's, so maybe it was only a temporary thing? Just the base FWD models?

Comment

I've been in the retail store rotation of my job, which basically means I have random days off during the week now. Took the day to fiddle around with the car, nothing major but hopefully (fingers crossed) that sealant fixed the water leak. It absolutely poured last weekend and the floor doesn't seem any wetter, even with carpet peeled back.

Got the ignition coil cover painted and put on the car, though. There isn't as much clearance with the 2.0T coil conversion, so I had to flip the rearmost coil around to get clearance. I ended up using Duplicolor textured metallic galaxy, which is basically textured/wrinkle black with silver metal flake in it. Sanded the 20V TURBO back down to bare metal-- don't really want to polish it just because it would look too "new" IMO. Anyway, here's where we're at now. Was proud of myself for actually taking the time to buy the correct black Allen head hardware to go with the coil cover lol. Note: This is a really favorable iPhone filter. Real engine bay looks much worse.

What's next?
                    - Bought vinyl, started doing shadowline trim.
                    - Also wrapping trunk gloss black when it gets warmer.
                    - Turbo is in Michigan getting rebuilt.
                    - Having a REALLY hard time not buying a new daily to replace the Mazda. Gf pointed out to me "you're not married, we don't live together, and you're in your 20s, why not do something fun and buy a new car"? Shit. Trying to be sensible.

Comment

• looking good homie, where in michigan is the turbo getting rebuilt??

Originally posted by BozoBubble
                      Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

• Originally posted by storey618 View Post
                        looking good homie, where in michigan is the turbo getting rebuilt??
                        It's a place called Turbo Concepts near Detroit, I think!

Comment

• Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                          It's a place called Turbo Concepts near Detroit, I think!
                          i have a buddy who works there haha figured thats where it would be.

Originally posted by BozoBubble
                          Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

• Just be careful... I've heard the 2.0 coils run hotter than stock and, as such, the cover may prevent them from getting adequate ventilation. FWIW, I haven't seen anyone actually have coilpack failures running them this way, I was just "warned" when I did mine and it seems credible since Audi doesn't use coil covers like this anymore. But who knows. Apikol makes a vented cover for 1.8 coils for this reason, but apparently it doesn't work with 2.0 coils(?). Anyway, food for thought... might want to inspect them from time to time or just keep it in mind if you start having ignition issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by toddzilla View Post
                              Just be careful... I've heard the 2.0 coils run hotter than stock and, as such, the cover may prevent them from getting adequate ventilation. FWIW, I haven't seen anyone actually have coilpack failures running them this way, I was just "warned" when I did mine and it seems credible since Audi doesn't use coil covers like this anymore. But who knows. Apikol makes a vented cover for 1.8 coils for this reason, but apparently it doesn't work with 2.0 coils(?). Anyway, food for thought... might want to inspect them from time to time or just keep it in mind if you start having ignition issues.
                              Yup, I had actually heard the same thing. I’m thinking about getting some washers to raise it up and allow for ventilation, but this might be the sort of thing I’ll just run at car shows. Then again, I’m in the same boat— never heard anything concrete! A few people still run the covers with the coils so who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                                Gf pointed out to me "you're not married, we don't live together, and you're in your 20s, why not do something fun and buy a new car"?
                                Don't fall for it. This is a test, she is looking for that ring and house, son. She tryina lock dat ass down.
                                Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Working...
                                X