Ur an idiot for buying this: 1995 Audi Ur-S6 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
    Don't fall for it. This is a test, she is looking for that ring and house, son. She tryina lock dat ass down.

Run!

RUUUNNNNN!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• ^ I did kind of the opposite and took a vacation with her to New Orleans. Took Mazdachan because we thought it might be fun to drive low around New Orleans, and we were right. Had a ton of fun, ate some great food, and had good quality time with the lady away from the normal day to day crap our lives are filled with right now lol.

We had a sweet Airbnb a little ways from the French Quarter and parking wasn't that bad, plus the scenery was great.

Aired out in the grass at the New Orleans Zoo.

Back to your regularly scheduled Audi programming. As I think I've mentioned in this thread before, I've been having an issue where water collects on the passenger front floorboard when it rains. These cars' ECUs are incredibly rare/expensive and of course they're located in the passenger footwell. I tried to seal up a seam in the body that had deteriorating sealant, but that turned out to not be the issue. The next thing to cross off the list of possibilities was the sunroof drain -- easy enough except the sunroof doesn't work.

Pop the sunroof switch panel off, break the incredibly fragile clips, and we're left with this guy. All you have to do is turn the Allen to open the sunroof. Except on my car, it's held in with Torx head bolts that were so loose the teeth wouldn't engage. Time to go to Home Depot and buy a Torx multi tool. Boom.

I wish I had taken a picture, but there was a little clump of debris DIRECTLY blocking the sunroof drain tube. Removed it, then promptly stripped the Allen to open/close the sunroof manually while trying to open it to vacuum the drain tube out. Had to hammer a Torx in there; I guess I did need a new sunroof motor anyway....

Don't want to jinx anything, but it's been wet here lately and I don't *think* it leaks anymore.

Next I killed my wallet a little. R8 coils, Bosch plugs, and new knock sensors to prep for the new turbo and alleviate any misfires/random mishaps the car is having will be here hopefully by this weekend.

And then it got killed again. Should have turbo back next weekend.

Even though it was freezing, worked on the car some this weekend. Primarily wrapping the trunk and window trim in gloss black vinyl. Used copious amounts of heat and an extra pair of hands for the trunk, it turned out okay and made a pretty big difference in the look of the car IMO. Also acquired a matching red silicone MAF to turbo hose to accompany my throttle body hose.

Before:

After:

No pics of this, but I had a headlight out -- turns out it was just unplugged but the mounting tabs broke, causing it to slide around to the point that it unplugged. Fortunately, my buddy got screwed on a deal a few months ago and was sent UrS6 headlights when he wanted UrS4 headlights (very slightly different). Put one of those in and while I was at it swapped in nicer headlight trim (lower, where the washers are) in OEM black instead of spray paint over Tornado Red.

Now here is a random pic to leave you with lol. Ready to get turbo on and put on those doors that I bought like 8 months ago. Gotta get ready for H2oi!

Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

• This car is really starting to come together, keep it up.
        Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
        and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
        S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post

Next I killed my wallet a little...
          In the interest of sparing your wallet, do yourself a favor and cross-shop between ECS and FCP Euro for OEM/equivalent parts. Generally, FCP is my first stop because they have a much larger selection of OEM replacement stuff than ECS, and stuff is often cheaper.

In this case, you only "overspent" about $8 lol, but sometimes the difference is pretty crazy, like $41 cheaper for a Bosch auxiliary (after-run) water pump... or $195 cheaper for an A/C compressor. Same brands, same part numbers, usually with free shipping.
          '02 Audi S4 III+ GT's // '94 Audi S4 RS2'd // '95 Audi S6 donor // '87 Buick TR rusty

Comment

• So this is what you've been up to! Looks great so far friendo !!

Comment

• Originally posted by toddzilla View Post
              In the interest of sparing your wallet, do yourself a favor and cross-shop between ECS and FCP Euro for OEM/equivalent parts. Generally, FCP is my first stop because they have a much larger selection of OEM replacement stuff than ECS, and stuff is often cheaper.

In this case, you only "overspent" about $8 lol, but sometimes the difference is pretty crazy, like $41 cheaper for a Bosch auxiliary (after-run) water pump... or $195 cheaper for an A/C compressor. Same brands, same part numbers, usually with free shipping.
              Thanks for the heads up! As you can tell, I'm relatively new to the whole Euro car thing.

Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
              So this is what you've been up to! Looks great so far friendo !!
              Thanks man!

Okay, TURBO TIME
              in this update!

Installed the coils and plugs.

Went to Caffeine and Octane last Sunday despite working at 9am. One hell of a long day. Also, somehow my car started leaking fuel right after getting to work. I THINK it may have just been overfilled at the gas pump, but in any case after letting it drip out for 36 hours it stopped leaking.

Next, I pulled into a parking lot to get some food on the way home from work and the starter was dead as a doornail. Got some random people to bump start it and left it at work where I took this pic after looking at the wiring on the starter underneath the car. I don't know if I've mentioned this in the thread yet, but the previous owner really fucked the car up when it comes to wiring. There is a button hardwired to the starter that didn't even use the correct size terminals. Boss and I connected the wire on the starter to the positive battery terminal and it fired up, so figured out the switch wiring was the problem and fixed it at least temporarily.

Now comes the fun stuff! Took the car out to Dacula to a guy's house who is a wizard with these motors -- we hammered out a barter deal of sorts that included money, wheels for me, my stock parts for him, etc etc.

Intake, MAF, heat shield, diverter valve, etc removed and N75 pushed out of the way.

After working from like 9:30am to 5pm, we finally were able to remove the turbo, wastegate, and exhaust manifold as a unit. What you're supposed to do is remove the wastegate and turbo from the manifold before removing it from the head, but a combination of rust and space issues meant we did it the other way. In order to get the last turbo to manifold bolt, we would've had to remove the exhaust with a sawzall to get the downpipe out of the way.

Here's the old junk out finally. Looks anticlimactic but this took HOURS.

The exhaust manifold on these cars has 16 nuts holding it on, two of which are pretty much impossible to get to without grinding and bending 12mm wrenches to fit, and that's with the turbo and wastegate out of the way. Also, everything was rusty as hell. We had a welder to get snapped studs out, so the last nut we couldn't remove we got by just prying the stock manifold off the head. Then it was time to remove those studs and shorten a few new ones to install the manifold!

Crappy picture but you can see the issues with oil line clearance we ran into when mounting the new turbo. I had bought an adapter to use braided oil line to replace the OEM oil feed, but the fitting was a male to male and I needed a male to female. At this point we called it a night and I borrowed his Jetta TDI with 320k miles and no 1st gear to drive back to Atlanta.

This morning I drove almost an hour to Summit Racing in McDonough, GA to buy a $3 fitting and then drove an hour and a half to where we were working on the car.

Got the oil line attached and started the car. It started but we noticed two problems:

1) Pretty bad oil leak from the oil filter housing. Wouldn't you know it, the OEM gasket has been discontinued and is now unobtanium. Old gasket ended up being split. Look at that leak. Took the oil cooler lines, oil filter and oil feed line off the housing and put gasket maker on it, seemed to hold fine.

2) Intake piping isn't really gonna work. Here's a pic where you can see everything. Basically, the silicone intake hose I had on the car was 2.25" inlet and the new turbo is 3". I bought a silicone reducer that would work if I double clamped it and used silicone tape, but it extends the whole assembly toward the front of the engine bay. At the bottom of the pic you can see the red part of the hose sticking out is where the diverter valve would go, but if I installed it it would get chewed up by the fan. To get me home, we just plugged that outlet up in the intake hose and let the diverter vent to atmosphere, but it creates a massive vacuum leak and the car pretty much won't idle. There is a $200 hose that fixes the problem, or I might just try to mount the DV remotely. OR I could just use the internal DV on the turbo, which you might remember I blocked off.

Made it home! Still lots of shit to do, but the turbo is installed. Here is a finished ("finished", lol) engine pic. The turbo sounds so cool with the billet wheel.

Comment

• Had a day off on Tuesday and tried to work a few of the kinks out. First of all, installed a new (used) sunroof motor from a guy on an Audi page. Presto, working sunroof!

Next, worked on fixing/routing the line for the diverter valve. I had a length of silicone hose, tried remote mounting the diverter but ran into a problem with the line kinking, decided to just trim a little bit off of the intake hose. Hard to tell in pic but it no longer actually hits the fan.

Gonna smooth it out and trim maybe another quarter inch, but it allowed me to take the car for a real shakedown run with the new turbo. Sounds amazing with the billet wheel and pulls VERY strongly - definitely the fastest car I've ever owned. Drove down to Solo Motorsports to see my friend Beni and pick up a bumper (!!!!) but the car had other plans.

Spent an hour and a half on I85 because I did a pull and blew the hose off the turbo outlet and also blew or maybe rubbed a massive hole in the hard plastic intercooler crossover pipe. Burned the shit out of my forearm getting the hose back on the turbo outlet, and flailed around on the ground wrapping duct tape on my crossover pipe. Of course, this would happen on the one day I don't have a floor jack in the car!!

Scenic view:

My attempt at a repair held with the MAF unplugged so the ECU didn't see the massive leak. Limped it home shifting at 2000rpm in every gear.

Luckily, I was able to make it to my friend's shop and get the bumper cover! Sooo stoked about this. Another friend of mine bought this guy's S6 Avant, and he had already bought a bumper that he planned to throw on the wagon. For $500 and a beat to shit A6 bumper, I get this bumper in OEM black that fits the S6 fender flares! These are pretty much unobtanium.

In order to fix the intercooler pipe issue, I bought an all-metal pipe from an early UrS4 that should be here around the middle of the next week. Stay tuned for installed pics of the bumper and hopefully a more detailed report on how the new turbo is.

Comment

• That was a fun read. Those euro tail lights made a huge difference! Maybe I'll get to see this thing at C&O sometime now that you're local.
                  Instagram: lowtege

Comment

• update ur instagram now

Comment

• Okay, so I pretty much suck at updating, for the last three weeks I've had all the pics transferred to my desktop and haven't actually uploaded them or typed anything out on the forum. ANYWAY!! Lots of odds and ends to cover, feels like the last month and a half has been one step forward and two steps back with the car but here we go anyway.

First things first, I moved since my last post in this thread. I'm still in the Atlanta metro but a little further out in Woodstock, actually moved into a buddy's house and am saving a ton on rent. Plus he has old audis.

Remember that front bumper? Got it installed in time for May Caffeine and Octane. Starting to look more and more like a car, ignore the white zip ties, that was fixed later.

Shortly after that, I actually put a proper intake together with the help of 034Motorsport's silicone turbo inlet hose designed for 2.75" inlet turbos. One small detail that sucks is they stuck the N75 valve port way in the front, so I ended up having to run longer lines. Otherwise, it flows better than my previous ghetto setup and doesn't leak. Here's a pic:

Next it was time to have some fun during a weekend in Helen at SoWo! Well, sorta. I still like going to Helen even though SoWo is NoMo. Was a great, chill weekend with new friends and the lady, plus it helps that it's only an hour and a half from home now.

Obligatory Helendorf pic:

Obligatory gf being a dork pic:

Covering up the spots she missed: (It's fun having shit paint anyway so I can use the wash brushes and not worry about it)

The turnout for the weekend was much lower than SoWos of years past, but it was a great friendly vibe and there was still an awesome meet at the end of a mountain run. The car had never worked that hard during my ownership, I beat the hell out of it on the way up there. Was keeping up with some B6 S4s on the straights but getting annihilated in the corners due to tire rub. Atlanta has pretty straight roads and lots of traffic, so I honestly hadn't noticed how bad the rub was. Two people in the car didn't help either. Here's a pic from the mountaintop meet:

After we got home, I took advantage of a day off of work to spend money on a dual-action polisher -- something I've wanted for years but was too cheap to buy. Hit the car real quick with some M105 (in partial sun on a black car in summer, by no means ideal conditions) because I was impatient to see if it worked. The paint is definitely tired but I was able to remove some oxidation. Waiting for a cloudy day off to finish with 205 and wax.

Left is untreated, right is treated:

Going to Helen really made me reconsider the Anteras on the S6. I love how they look and the funky 90s feel they provide, but they're insanely heavy and the car doesn't drive well with them on. To dial in the rest of the car, picked up some cheap LM reps on facebook marketplace just to roll around on and not rub lol. 18x8 et35. Don't worry, if you keep scrolling down they're not gonna be on there forever.

On Memorial Day, I drove down to Dallas (GA not TX) in a thunderstorm to buy something awesome. A guy I know had some black UrS4 seats that had been sitting outside under a tarp for a few years, which he sold to me for $50 because they were mildewy and he needed them gone because he was moving. He threw in a black rear seat cushion as well. I figured for $50 I could see how well they cleaned up or maybe flip them -- black UrS seats in good condition are worth a pretty hefty amount.

As it turns out, they cleaned up amazingly by just hitting them with leather cleaner. Leatherique next. Looks like I'm doing a black interior swap! Also note the funky hollow headrests.

Now, where does that leave us? About a week ago, I was getting ready for Caffeine and Octane and feeling pretty stoked about the car. Looked underneath it and saw a pretty big puddle of gas. I had filler neck issues before, but it looks like the tank itself has finally let go, most likely around the seams, due to rust. When you own an obscure car, sometimes the easiest solution actually isn't easy, which is why two days ago I drove 450 miles round trip in a day to pick up a good used tank from someone parting a '95 A6. It will be a big undertaking to replace the tank; this involves dropping the rear suspension, subframe, diff, etc to allow the tank to come out. Well, maybe not for some of you but for me it will be!

By the way -- Really excellent timing on the tank, because I had just bought these...

Comment

• Omg these wheels are awesome on there
                        Are they better in weight than the anteras tho?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                          Omg these wheels are awesome on there
                          Are they better in weight than the anteras tho?
                          These particular Anteras have a fucked up history and weigh a metric ton...
                          Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• Wow, epic deal on those seats!

@projects_always

Comment

• Dude... I was just casually watching this for a while until today when I saw the paint correction/interior swap/new wheels in the works...

this is gonna be super badass.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUTCHswift View Post
                                Dude... I was just casually watching this for a while until today when I saw the paint correction/interior swap/new wheels in the works...

this is gonna be super badass.
                                Thanks for the kind words man, read through your build a few weeks ago and the thread was epic.

-------

Had to take a last-minute trip up to NC earlier this week to take care of some family stuff. On the way home, I decided to stop by my favorite tire shop -- I used to go there for 19s for the Mazda several times a year when I changed wheel setups. Picked up some 225/40/18s (all around despite the staggered wheels, thanks Quattro) for the new wheels.

Decided to put blue floormats in the car out of a C4 A6 and I like how they look, at least until the interior swap goes down.

Now for the fun part! Got the wheels on. I think the rear fits perfectly, not too aggressive, but the fronts could use spacers. 15mm spacers and longer wheel bolts should be here Tuesday. Let me know what you guys think. Current specs are 18x8 +37 18x9 +38.

Comment

Working...
                                X