Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ur an idiot for buying this: 1995 Audi Ur-S6 project

HAHA GET IT

Okay now that's out of the way, hi guys it me. I've been on Stanceworks for a long time and some of you may have seen my Mazda6 before. Here it is:

Having reached the point of diminishing returns with the Mazda and also recently finished business school and gotten a job, I started to look around at potential project cars. This time around, wanted to do something older, 80s-90sish and hopefully keep it relatively functional. I'm still keeping the Mazda but for a quick financial boost I sold the Works off the car and used some of the money to buy the new one!

This is a 1995 Audi S6, which is referred to as the UrS6 because Ur is a prefix in German meaning 'the original' or something. Don't quote me on that. It has the most evolved version of Audi's 5-cylinder turbocharged engine, a 5 speed manual transmission, and Quattro of course. These are pretty rare cars at least in the states, and this particular example is... uh.... rough, with 262k miles on it. Pretty much a recipe for guaranteed trouble-free ownership and bliss.

Actually it's a pretty funny story how I found the car. It was on craigslist back in my home state of NC for $2200 or something like that, very little detail in the ad but the previous owner said he had replaced TB/WP, tensioner, valve cover gasket, a turbo hose, etc etc. Was incredibly ratty/dirty and beat up, but he said he dailied it. I offered $1000 over text sort of as a way of leaving whether I bought the car up to fate, and he accepted. Then I had to buy a plane ticket to go get the damn thing!

When I arrived in NC, here's what I saw:

Note the sticker residue (I think from racing) on the door and the smorgasbord of dents. The front bumper is supposed to flare out to meet the S6's fenders but it doesn't because someone replaced it with a beat to shit regular A6 bumper. The doors and front fenders have rust holes, but the underbody is pretty much OK.

The car made it 450 miles back from NC to Georgia without any trouble other than what I was told it would do, which was mostly leak coolant when parked and the system was pressurized. Got it cleaned up as best I could.

Here's the interior, not bad for the mileage and dem OEM Recaros!

Oh, also here's what was done to the car when I bought it:
    - 034 motorsport intake
    - Sunpro A-pillar boost gauge
    - Exhaust chopped off after cats
    - Push button start rigged up, meaning:
    ---- Doors don't lock
    ---- Trunk doesn't open because key doesn't work
    - FULLY SIQQQQ Carbon fiber wrapped hood, roof, trunk

Anyway, I've started poring over the various mostly-dead forums dedicated to these cars. They're not especially hard to work on and the drivetrains are supposed to be pretty bulletproof, but parts are made from unobtanium and there aren't many Ur-S cars left. Also I have no idea what I'm doing. Recently cleaned the MAF which seemed to improve an intermittent issue where it only boosts 5-7psi which is wastegate pressure, but it still sometimes happens when the car is warm. Maybe N75 or diverter valve next.

As far as plans for the car, I'd like to
    - get it mechanically sorted (axles, alignment, fix coolant and boost issues, shifter bushings, fix e brake)
    - make it less ugly (doors and fenders to eliminate rust, maybe modify A6 or buy S6 bumper, period correct wheels like Borbet Type A)
    - make it faster

Yeah that's pretty much it! Not super mechanically inclined beyond like doing coilovers, brakes, stuff like that so I'm excited to start learning.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Always love seeing these rare cars, cant wait to see what you end up doing to it.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I love older Audis. A friend had what I think was a 90(?) convertible, I tried so hard to get him to modify it lol Anyway..can't wait to see where this goes.

Comment

Love this! super rare in the uk, never seen one in person before

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
          Always love seeing these rare cars, cant wait to see what you end up doing to it.
          Honestly I'd never seen one in person til I bought it, but I'd definitely thought they were cool. Actually owned a Volvo S60 R in the past, which is the same weird 5-cylinder turbo formula.

Anyway, got some things done over the past week or so. Well, most of it was identifying problems I've yet to fix, but still!

1. Picked up some wheels. OZ Ruote, build date 1992, 17x7.5 et35. Picked them up for $220 with tires, and I really love how they look on the car. Obviously needs more low, but the hideous B5 A4 wheels with 205/55 tires made it look like a base A6 and not an S6. Stoked because they're pretty much exactly the type of wheel I wanted!

2. Cleaned the stupid carbon wrap off the hood and trunk. Turns out the hood seems to be multiple colors of black spray paint, both glossy and matte. Still tried to remove some of the oxidation. Wetsanded with 3000 grit and compounded by hand and the parts that aren't fucking matte are okay now.

3. Went to Caffeine and Octane and met a local Atlanta audi club there. While there, we figured out the car actually is overheating and the viscous fan clutch is stuck open -- meaning the fan spins but not fast enough to do anything. Also, the aux fan is seized. That would definitely explain it boiling coolant out of the reservoir! Someone has clearly tried to do the fan clutch before but mangled it trying to get the thing off. It'll definitely be a learning experience trying to fix this.

4. Sniped a discontinued FK badgeless grille for $40 off the quattroworld classifieds to replace the beat up OEM one.

Kind of a bummer about the various fans, but I'll figure it out!

Comment

Keep us posted!

Comment

Another smol update.

Bought some rust free doors for $100 that are actually the correct color. Now I just need 2 front fenders and to fix the quarter panel dent and the car should be ready for paint. The car the doors came off of was in a fire, so there was an unbelievable amount of soot on them and they'd been sitting outside for a year.

In case you were wondering, you can fit 2 complete Audi 100/UrS6 doors in the back seat of a Mazda.

Cleaning all the soot off...

Hit them with some compound and they don't look half bad!

Also ordered some parts to see if I can fix this cooling issue. Both temperature sensors (the one that goes to the ECU and the one that goes to the temp gauge) ordered as well as a fan clutch!

Found two 235/45/17 tires to go on the OZs and mounted them. Took the car for a drive, forgot I need hub rings because this car has wheel bolts so it shakes pretty badly, so have to pick some of those up.

Installed my badgeless grille and dusted the camera off.

Comment

Love the wheels, they look perfect on there.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I like where this is going. Subbed!
                  99 GS 400
                  85' 190d
                  99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                  97' q45 (rip)
                  ig: erik.docx

Comment

Holy moley this thing is ace. I love the thought of random German cars like these just being scattered around in America. Can't remember the last time I saw that body A6 in the UK!

You're really putting me in the mood to find myself a second car shitter type of thing just so I have the satisfaction of bringing it back to life.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Well, as I'd sort of expected with an old beat up fast Audi, it's like whack a mole with issues. The day after my last post a guy who works at Solo Motorsports here in Georgia said I should stop by after hours and we could take a look at the car.

Here she is in the shop. Got to take a better look at the underside of the car on the lift and it doesn't have terrible structural rust. Slow seeping at rear main seal area and the diff is seeping too.

We came in trying to diagnose the fan issues. It turned out the viscous fan was actually fine. The aux fan, on the other hand, was completely toast. It was nearly seized up and also unplugged, meaning the PO definitely knew what was up. Turns out he unplugged it because it got hot and either melted or burned. Actually, all sorts of wiring in the same area had been either cut or melted. Plugs for the AC compressor and outside temp sensor were just cut. I have no idea what the previous owner(s) of this car were up to.

Looked over to my left and saw a fucking Aventador in the next bay, while we were working on my beater. Hilarious.

SOOOOOOOOOOO after figuring out the fan issue (I didn't have one to put in, so I just picked one up locally. Actually a dude gave it to me) we tried to figure out the coolant leak. As I mentioned before, the car would puke coolant when it was parked/warmed up but wouldn't actually overheat. Sometimes it would boil and lose like a gallon at once if it idled too long. We thought this was because both fans weren't working. Previous owner had put in a brand new coolant reservoir, and the car had a new radiator cap. Checked oil, no water in it.

WELP. We tried to pressure test the cooling system to see if the radiator cap was holding pressure but the pressure tester wasn't working. Couldn't get ONE MEASLY PSI to hold for any amount of time, or vacuum either. Turns out the brand new coolant reservoir also had a crack in it! We pulled a spare off my buddy's car, so that issue was more or less resolved.

Next we hit the IACV with a screwdriver to free it. Boom, idle.

Next we pulled codes to see if we could figure out the boost issue. A MAF code showed up, so we swapped a known good MAF from his car. The code went away and the car made boost much more consistently. Actually, we thought it fixed the problem, but the car still won't boost past 7psi or so from time to time. Now thinking it may be throttle position sensor or N75 valve. We'll see!

Last week I made the drive out to Dallas (Georgia, not Texas) to pick up some parts. The guy gave me an OEM shift boot to replace the dirty ass suede one for free, as well as a free auxiliary fan!

Looks so much better:

I also bought a set of Bosch Green Giant injectors from him for future moar power reasons. Was super cheap and he gave me a bunch of parts so I wanted to give him money for something at least! Everyone in the community has been super nice.

Finally, took the car up to Lake Hartwell in SC to visit my family now that I've moved away. Took the Audi, which was off and on not boosting but otherwise handled the trip like a champ. I'll leave you with this pic of my girlfriend driving the car. She did great!

So right now, here we are:
                      - Coolant no longer pours out but loses maybe 0.5L every two weeks (please god not head gasket oh man)
                      - Boost issue better but still happens
                      - Car runs cooler
                      - MAF replaced
                      - Idles now that idle valve is replaced
                      - Semi figured out all the fucky wiring.

Kinda want to get this thing ready and drive it to H2Oi.

Comment

Glad to see your getting some stuff sorted out on the car. Keep it up.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Yo dude! I love the car! Are you local to Atl? You should come out to the Dürtydübs meet at Redbrick, after C&O! The world needs more rad older Audis

Comment

I love threads like these when someone saves what's close to ending up a parts car, keep at it!

@projects_always

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                              Glad to see your getting some stuff sorted out on the car. Keep it up.
                              Thanks man! Was just looking at your build thread, I know I've seen you around here before like years ago but your new M3 is sweet. Funny that we were both having temp sensor and coolant issues.

Originally posted by Darkyoshi154 View Post
                              Yo dude! I love the car! Are you local to Atl? You should come out to the Dürtydübs meet at Redbrick, after C&O! The world needs more rad older Audis
                              Yes I am! I'm out near Gwinnett place. Is that the gears and beers meet? Would love to come out.

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                              I love threads like these when someone saves what's close to ending up a parts car, keep at it!
                              Haha it was very very close. People buy running engines out of these cars for $1500 so they're gold mines as parts. All of the OEM parts are pretty much no longer available so people who own them are stuck between being mad they get parted out and needing the parts from part outs. Idk, I don't have the time or energy to part this out and it seems unfair to a car that has made it this far and is still running.

A bit of a surprise -- was just out with the car and tried to get the trunk open again. Accidentally LOCKED the doors from the trunk (????) which sucked because the door locks don't work. Then I figured out the door locks were just really gummed up and they worked with the key. So crisis averted. Then I somehow got the trunk to open!!! It hadn't been opened in probably years.

Things I found:
                              - Gauge pod packaging circa 2006
                              - An unopened home thermostat with copyright 2000 on it
                              - An unopened wheel bearing
                              - Center caps from what appear to be early 2000s fast and furious type chrome wheels
                              - All the wiring for the car phone
                              - A skate deck
                              - The sides of an OEM S6 bumper in black, which have the flares I need that the A6 bumper doesn't have!!!!!! For people who don't know why this is a big deal, the front bumper alone is worth about what I paid for the car because the sides flare out to meet the metal flares that were unique to the S6 front fenders. This is just the side flares, but they could be molded onto the cheap A6 bumper I have on there now. That's just hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                              X