1970 Mercedes w115 - Rustbucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Mercedes w115 - Rustbucket

Hi. This is my w115 that i have owned for about 2 years but only been on the road for about 3 months because its a piece of shit.

The plans for right now is to deal with all rust, which is alot. Replace brakes, lines, shocks and all that nick nack

Bought it 2 years ago, gave it some love and used it as a daily until the engine gave up.

Replaced the engine and on the premiere run around town a lady decided to sidebang me.

Fixed it with bondo, panels from the facelift version just to get it rolling for a few more months but now its time to make it less shitty again.

All the rust will be dealt with.

Some asshole stole the star

Guess this explains the moisture problem in the trunk, was fixed with bondo by pre owner.

The never ending hunt for rust

Got that open with bare hands

The previous owner were no fan of welding so he used silicone and bits of aluminum

Thats it so far. Tell me if i should scale down the size of images, think they may be too large
    Last edited by Timk; 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM.

There aint much structural rust but heres some of it

The rubber seals have surely seen better days

Welded in the rear panel, still needs some bondo and sanding. The rear of the car is pretty much done rust wise.

New floor is in and primered

Also some bonus pics of my c124 that will be upgraded with coilovers and bbs rs, might even get air suspension in the future

Comment

That rubber looks like a dog's nose lol, nice progress!

Comment

Very good. What brand are your coils?

Comment

nice

Comment

Originally posted by michel3171 View Post
            That rubber looks like a dog's nose lol, nice progress!
            haha, cant unsee

Originally posted by Amgcdi View Post
            Very good. What brand are your coils?

They are TA technix, pretty much only alternative if you dont want to sell your liver for coils

Comment

Have to protect das deutche stahl from rust

Tow hook getting some paint

And more rust, have to replace the bottom of all doors

Rockers are now rust free and the doors ready for assebly

Sadly i found that rust have resurfaced on some spots that i had fixed on the trunk, i think that i forgot to put a sealant over the bondo but i hope thats the only place that is bad otherwise i got alot to redo

As for paint and style of car i think i want to go at the ratrod direction with "patina" paint and big whitewall tires

Attached Files

Comment

Damn. Shows that car manufacturer's rust proofing techniques have come a long way in the past 50 years
                Lucas
                Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                Originally posted by LCG
                High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

All this work getting it solid again just to paint it to make it look like it's rotting? LOL
                  awesome work btw, that much rust would mean "ok let's save the parts and scrap this pos" to me since I can't bodywork to save my life

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                    All this work getting it solid again just to paint it to make it look like it's rotting? LOL
                    awesome work btw, that much rust would mean "ok let's save the parts and scrap this pos" to me since I can't bodywork to save my life
                    What can i say, i like rat rods I have been considering maybe painting it matte white / primer gray. But paying for a real paintjob aint worth it because theres not a single item on the car that is in good condition, all trim, interior, seals, mechanisms etc would also have to be replaced.

Comment

I feel so bad for that poor rusty Benz like that

Comment

Looks like a great project, And i bet you are getting your welding skills down. It nice to see a car like that saved. I just picked up a 76 XJ6 Jag that needs the drivers floor redone. I need to get better at welding.

Comment

Havent happened alot since last, instead i have worked on my w124 but heres a little update.

Had to redo the repairs on the trunk because the bondo started to bubble.

Had to order new calipers, the old ones was crusty and beyond repair.

Then came the winter and the snow kinda halted the project, i replaced the cv joints, front ball joints and painted the engine bay.

Removing this ball joint was the most frustrating thing ive done to a car

Ideal working conditions

JDM shocks also new breaklines

Comment

I love the portable heater set up you have

Ideal working conditions

Comment

Following the absolute crap out of this. Love it!

Scottish idiot with an unhealthy E39 obsession... @scumbag_mike

Comment

Working...
                              X