No announcement yet.

E46 Daydreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like how this all turned out! Everything looks great!
    Instagram valgers97

Comment

• Some snaps of the car, including a little snow pic from the recent snowfall we've had in London.

My MOT runs out on the 31st of March and I'm shitting myself that I will be failing, mainly because I'm very poor at the moment.

Once the MOT is taken care of I'll be putting some more cash into this thing, I've got loads of little bits and bobs to take care of such as new center caps, a splitter, gloss black interior trim, front spacers and what not.

Speaking of interior, I installed an armrest - absolutely transformed the car and I now feel like a pimp when I drive about.

Before:

After:

... damn I really want gloss black interior trim. Like I said though, I refuse to dump more money into this thing before the MOT! I'm aware I also have to raise it in the front for it which I realllllyyyyy don't want to do. I've got next monday off work, so I'll do some driving about to garages and see if they can get it on a ramp as it is. Fingers crossed my front coils haven't seized, I've had them wound all the way down since I installed them about 8,000 miles ago. I'll also have to run my standard wheels as my rear tire wall has rubbed off from before I got my arches rolled.

In theory everything works well so I don't have any obvious thing to worry about. Still shitting myself for it (I guess that's human nature?)

Originally posted by RV97 View Post
      I like how this all turned out! Everything looks great!
      Thanks dude! I'm really happy with the car but there's still a lot to take care of. At the same time, I'm worried I'm getting a little bit bored of it...

Originally posted by Deaky97 View Post
      I used to run something very similar on my Lupo, except mine you had to unbolt rather than unclip which was a bit of a faf. Still, worked fantastic until i decided to tie the corner of my mates tent to it in a drunken fury at edition and rip it clean out of the valance
      Can't wait for you to kill your lupo again at this year's Ed38

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
      Mounts came out rad! The only thing I would advise would be to add some epoxy around the screw going into the plastic to help prevent any thing in the future.
      Good shout - I'll get it on there.

Thanks!
      Last edited by Mehowski; 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• With regards to your front number plate.

How comes you are no longer using the KillaPlate?
        Did you drill holes in the bumper for the clips? Have you got a close up you can DM me on instagram steveaj330

I've also got the same issue with the interior trim mine is falling off all round the car. , what did you use in the end to stick it back in place?
        Last edited by stevej325; 03-05-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Well, time to stir some emotions again.

Scott inspired me with his MHW rear lights on his E36. After some research it turns out that classy stuff like that for the E46 just doesn't exist.

What happens when there's a want? You find a way to cure your want. Did some more research and settled on a custom job thing. Did a test run with some pin stripe tape.

So, as you can see, very rough around the edges.

A lot of the stripe I used wasn't cut straight - a lot of the stripe was also wonky. That's okay... it's just a prototype.

So I installed them onto the car as a test fit. Here's a before and after.

I think it looks funky as! I thought I might be able to blend the two types together.

Here's a photoshop:

So there you have it.

I've got a lot of positive feedback on this, so I'll probably get a custom sticker printed which means I can apply all the stripes at once and simply trim around them. This will ensure they're all straight and not wonky

I'm edging more towards the whole clear light set up, meaning I'm going to have to invest in a set of orange bulbs for the indicators again. Also, I'll buy some new boot inserts so I can molest them into clear lights. With that said, I do miss the OEM feel of the ambers. Also, it means a whole day's worth of work sealing my ambers in will go to waste. Hmm.

In other news, I decided to plug in my dipped beam again in order to see if the bulbs still work ahead of the MOT. I left the car running When I opened the engine bay, and I heard a very weird clicking sound. I took out the air intake trim and flashed a torch in there.

Here's what I found:

My drive belt has basically ripped itself apart in about 4 places, and has at least 2 cuts in it. All that 143bhp !! Too much power !!!

I'm quite lucky I caught this before it snapped on me mid drive (I was planning on doing 500+ motorway miles this weekend)

Already bought a replacement and am picking it up tomorrow. I won't be driving the car until I fit it, which will be either tomorrow of Monday.

Another thing you can see is that my engine is indeed leaking more and more oil. In fact I'm starting to get a little worried. I showed a few friends photos of my engine and they said that their 318cis look(ed) the same. Hey ho!

Fingers crossed the ticking noise I heard was indeed the belt and not an inner time bomb about to go off. I like this car and it would make me very very sad if the engine blew up.

I won't be driving it to Ultimate Dubs (I was planning on doing so) and instead will be taking it to a friend on Monday and we'll be ripping the engine apart to try and find the source of this leak. I presume there's more than one source.

Something to keep me motivated is the fact that I got accepted into Players Classic! Probably one of my favourite car shows of the UK calendar and it's literally a dream come true for me to show my own car there - it will be my 4th year attending. The first time I went I wasn't even old enough to drive yet! It's also the first real cross-car-brand show of the season. This E46 of mine is plucking on my heart strings and as much stress as it's caused me I still love it to pieces. Let's pray it doesn't blow up on me. For Players Classic I'm planning on taking my front support springs out and just dumping it as far as it'll go once I space the wheels out. New skinnier tires and possibly getting the wheels refurbed to a light shadow chrome type of colour.

When the going get's tough, the tough get going!

I shall leave you with this little photoshop.

Thanks a lot for reading and chat soon!

Originally posted by stevej325 View Post
          With regards to your front number plate.

How comes you are no longer using the KillaPlate?
          Did you drill holes in the bumper for the clips? Have you got a close up you can DM me on instagram steveaj330

I've also got the same issue with the interior trim mine is falling off all round the car. , what did you use in the end to stick it back in place?
          My killaplate fell off at the start of winter - due to my own fault though. I simply kept hitting the trim till it fit - it still comes loose sometimes.

Comment

• Check your oil level, that ticking sound could be from lack of oil. Do valve cover gaskets and when you do them silicone seal the half moon section and only that section. Ensure all of your sensors on the front are seating properly and if they are in fact leaking, find O-rings and replace them, not the whole sensor. If I were you I would take some brake clean and spray the front there to rid of all that oil residue and them drive it for a day or two and then look where it’s coming from.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

• Yep mine sounds the same and sounds ticky.

Fortunately for me that engine is going to the scrap yard haha.

Check your CCV too
              Www.GrantMcDonnell.Com
              @WeAreCerti

Comment

• I know that scary feeling you get when your MoT is due...except I crashed my car before trying.

There are White Tails for E46s too but they don´t look as good as those for the E36.

Comment

• SO, little update.

Tried removing the drive belt on Monday. Bugger tension pulley wouldn't move at all. We kept on putting pressure on it... and the bolt sheered off.

The pulley tensioner looks pretty shot, and because the bolt had sheered I basically had no choice but to buy a new one. Not a problem, I was going to get a new one regardless of the bolt as the tensioner simply wouldn't budge.

Should arrive in the post on Friday.

Regarding the ticking noise, absolutely no clue what it is. When I drove it (very very briefly) round the corner to my friends the noise disappeared.

I've also got a new rocker cover gasket, all N42s are known for having wanky gaskets so I'm keen to replace my one. Should improve the oil leak massively!

I've also bought some engine degreaser. Once the belt is off, I'll clean up the engine and degrease it, whack in the new tensioner and pulley, whack on the new belt, rip out the old gasket and replace it with a new one, then clean the engine again in time for MOT.

Sounds like a plan!

In April I'll do another service as it's been about 10,000 miles since I've done the last one. Might even treat the old dog to a sporty air intake whilst I'm at it.

All in all, seems like a solid plan. Let's pray that the stance|works gods are looking over me this weekend.

Comment

• I didn't think I would be a big fan of the wheels but holy crap they suit the car spot on.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

• was wondering why you were crying about it being broken over your insta...
                      also don't worry about the mot. get a mechanic friend to take you to his mot guy and you'll pass no problem. if a benz with no handbrake could then...
                      Gruz

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Happy update today - managed to replace the drive belt and pulley tensioner. Turns out the old tensioner was absolutely shot, so it needed replacing. The engine runs so much quieter now and it's all very bizarre.

Cleaned up the engine of all the oil, and have diagnosed the oil leak from two areas. First area is the left hand side of the rocker cover gasket, and the second one being from the oil filter housing. I've got the rocker cover gasket replacement already, however I still need the 4 seels that go around the coil packs. No clue what these are called but I'm sure I can find these on ECP or even eBay.

Regarding the leak coming from the oil filter hosing... well, absolutely no clue whats involved there. All I know is that I'll take care of it. My friend said it was a pain in the arse of a job to do on his M52 as it's hidden under a load of engine parts such as the exhaust manifold and what not. Fingers crossed it's a little easier on the N42.

The wetness is from all the brake cleaner we sprayed, but it dried up really nicely.

Rocket cover gasket is going to get done after the MOT... long story short, I'm pretty much out of money so I need to wait till payday to buy all the bits.

I'll also do a full service ahead of this year's adventures as it's due in about 1,000 miles so there's no harm doing it now. I can get to the bottom of the leak coming from the oil filter housing whilst I'm there too.

With that said the engine looks and sounds much healthier now, pretty crazy to think that all it took was a new belt and a pulley.

Next month I'm also going to get the front spacers (finally!!) and I'm trying to find some aero that looks nice. The KBS styling side skirt extensions and front splitter seem promising. What do you think?

Oh one last thing.

We got some snow again today, just in time for me fixing the car! As soon as I finished I headed to the place I take all my photos.

As always, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Mehowski; 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Nice job guy

I really like the KBS styling side skirt extensions. A little less the front splitter.
                          My E46 >>> http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...6-330i-Touring

My E36 restoration >> http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...50#post1582550

https://www.instagram.com/dres2x/?hl=fr

https://www.instagram.com/dres2x_landscape_urban/?hl=fr

/ / / M F A S C I N A T I O N ®
                          m o t o r s p o r t c u l t u r e

Comment

• Those striped tail lights actually look pretty sweet with the clear indicators

Glad you were able to take care of the maintenance without too much issue, always feels great to have the car running tip top.

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                            "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                            SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                              Cleaned up the engine of all the oil, and have diagnosed the oil leak from two areas. First area is the left hand side of the rocker cover gasket, and the second one being from the oil filter housing. I've got the rocker cover gasket replacement already, however I still need the 4 seels that go around the coil packs. No clue what these are called but I'm sure I can find these on ECP or even eBay.
                              I think oil leakage from rocker cover and oil filter housing is very common problem for older BMW's. I have changed mine many times with no success, sadly. It keeps leaking anyway, but less.
                              BTW you can look at realoem.com and find all parts, pricing and part codes for BMW's.
                              Instagram valgers97

Comment

• Originally posted by RV97 View Post
                                I think oil leakage from rocker cover and oil filter housing is very common problem for older BMW's. I have changed mine many times with no success, sadly. It keeps leaking anyway, but less.
                                BTW you can look at realoem.com and find all parts, pricing and part codes for BMW's.
                                Ever tried coating the gaskets with sealant paste? I had a friggin leak in my golf that did not want to go away because of a ruined o-ring seat, so I gobbled a bunch of grey sealant on it, torqued it down and voila no more leak. Not the "right" way to do it but I **** leaky cars so extreme problems need extreme solutions

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Working...
                                X