1974 Datsun 620 With A Twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Datsun 620 With A Twist

So if you've been following my 510 build you'll know that I picked up a 620 almost 2 years ago now and never got a chance to do anything with it.

Well I've finally got moved into the new place and have some free time so this project is kicking off!

When I first found it, inside a guys small shed at the end of his driveway, was surprisingly solid and he wanted $1500 for it.

Picked it up with a flat bed and brought it home, only thing I did in the next 2 years was take those ugly mirrors off

Truck was mainly a seat for the dog

And yesterday finally got it loaded and brought to the new place

Now the short term goals are to pull the old l18 that burns as much oil as a 2 stroke, replace it with the build l16 I had originally in the 510, throw a clutch in, and lower the truck substantially with new wheels/tires/shocks just to get it going. Once that happens ill be going with a rather unique engine/trans combo that I won't let out of the bag yet, check back for more updates!

Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM.
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

I'm down for this...620s are clean little trucks.
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to this build.

Don't tell me life is so short, what have you done that's longer?

Comment

Got some work done in the past few days. Firstly got the truck lowered close to where i want it, need to pull/roll the rears though, little bit of poke there and i'm not a fan

And then went about pulling the tired old l18, did i do this in the opposite order i should have? Probably... Do i care? No.

Was pretty uneventful, broke the 2 trans mount bolts but the rubber was shot anyway so no big deal. Driveshaft bolts were also seized had to cut them off and pound them out. Going to swap over the front cover and a few other small things to my l16 and separate the engine and trans tomorrow.

Part of me wants to pick up some cheap shoes for the brakes so i can take it for a little spin after getting the L16 in but it would kind of be a waste since i ordered Beebani's full balljoint/coilover front end that uses D21 discs. We'll see what happens there.
        Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM.
        Instagram @markrogerson
        1971 Datsun 510
        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Got the engine separated from the trans today and tore the old engine down to a short block. Probably only keeping the open chamber head off of it, just not enough room around for all of it and have no use for another L series block laying around. The poor old clutch was quite a site, no materiel left and most of the fasteners wore down to almost nothing, no wonder it was slipping haha.

Also transferred all my pictures in this thread from PhotoJunk to a new spot, thankfully only a few pics in this thread, my 510 one not so much :/
          Instagram @markrogerson
          1971 Datsun 510
          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Already looks pretty daggone good. Front is perfection, rear is missing...a little something. But overall, it sits pretty nice.

Can't wait to see that new L16 in there. They're peppy little motors, and should make this truck a lot more fun.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah i really like where the front sits, rear needs to go a little lower and need to pull the fenders so the wheels tuck. Might look at rear flares like on a old school gtr but need to look into it a little more.
              Instagram @markrogerson
              1971 Datsun 510
              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

This is fucken sick. Those wheels look awesome and those old Datsun utes are sweet. Keen to see what the future plans are.

Comment

Looking good dude its nearing perfection already!

will the replacement engine bolt up and drop right in? How different are they?

Comment

Originally posted by TrailerTrash View Post
                    Looking good dude its nearing perfection already!

will the replacement engine bolt up and drop right in? How different are they?
                    Thanks! i still feel like it has a ways to go before i'll be happy though haha.

And pretty much yes, essentially the same block, just a bigger bore and stroke. Just have to swap oil pans since the truck and car suspension is different and put some parts i'm missing from one to the other.
                    Instagram @markrogerson
                    1971 Datsun 510
                    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Got some more work done to the truck today, l18 is fully disassembled and figuring out what i'm going to do with it. It's in rough shape, crank is very scored and the cylinders aren't the best so probably going to end up junking it unfortunately. With my limited space and 2 engines already sitting around just don't have the room for another that i'll probably never do anything with.

Engine bay waiting on the new motor, it's going to be cleaned up and slightly modified to fit the new engine.

Threw some stickers on because that's important

New engine might be dropped off this weekend then i can really start some progress on this thing
                      Instagram @markrogerson
                      1971 Datsun 510
                      1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Ceaned the engine bay up some, going to remove the battery tray next.

Things are probably on hold until the weekend now when i might be getting the engine here and can go about test fitting. Then the firewall will most likely be getting some "adjustments".
                        Last edited by CrunkGoat; 09-28-2017, 07:17 AM.
                        Instagram @markrogerson
                        1971 Datsun 510
                        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Love the 620. Didn't see mention of what motor you're dropping in. Back to stock? Or doing a swap?

Edit: Just saw the reply to this question in an earlier comment.

Comment

nice

Comment

Well this has kind of gone on the back burner since I'm doing the SR20ve swap in the 510 but had a huge part of the build arrive. Beebani's full front end conversion that changes out the kingpins and torsen bars for balljoints and coilovers. This will give me the room I need to run the exhaust on the engine (which I'm still not sharing till it's in the engine bay)

Instagram @markrogerson
                              1971 Datsun 510
                              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Working...
                              X