This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Tank leaking

I've made sure that all my fittings are snug. I've had it installed by someone that does bus air systems for a living and I even put an SMC check valve on the leader line of the compressor.

I am still seeing a drop in tank pressure (bags do not drop in pressure) at a fairly quick rate to me, about 5psi in 1 hour. Is that an acceptable amount to lose? I've checked the compressor for leaks with the finger over the port, and there's no audible/palpable leak. Sprayed all the fittings with soapy water, no bubbles form. I did tighten up all the fittings which reduced the leak from 5psi in about 5 minutes to the 1 hour rate. But it still seems to be leaking somewhere, not sure where.

I've heard about swagelok fittings. But not looking to spend mucho dinero on fittings like that before going hardline with a quality display setup.

Heard mumblings that the ptc fittings are only rated for 150psi? I've been running 175psi in the tank, maybe it's leaking due to the rating on the ptc fittings?

EDIT: I'm sitting in the car right now, I'm completely aired out and I noticed that then front-right bag now has 1psi in it and the front-left has started to fluctuate between 0 and 1psi. As of this edit, the left front has stayed at 1psi. I do hear occasional pops coming from where the manifold is mounted. I'm starting to suspect an issue with the manifold...

EDIT 2: I'm using Airlift 3P system, 5gal aluminum tank, Viair 444c comp with 1/4" leader and 1/4" SMC check valve into 1/4"-3/8" bung, 1/4" drain port with petcock valve and tire valve with SMC PTC fittings, 1/4" water trap on the tank to manifold line, 1/4" air lines. Manifold is mounted level and above the tank in the CD-changer cubby (MK4 GTI).
    Last edited by cmdshft; 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM.

@cmdshft
    2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
    Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Well after constant spraying, I (by mistake) sprayed the water trap body itself... And it started bubbling immediately. So, I now know where my leak is. At least I know all my fittings are air tight...

Going to try and see if AirLift will warranty the trap since it's new and was never opened.

@cmdshft
    2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
    Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

Working...
    X