Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowla? Lowlux? or the little truck

Hey everyone!! Remember this?

Well I'm the guy that bought it years ago, and never made a thread. To be honest i didnt do anything other then drive it and enjoy. I finally decided to start my own phase on this project about a year ago. Most of this is catching up to where we are now so please bear with me.

Althought at the time i thought it looked cool and it was fun, I wanted more, so while I was in turkey one year I ordered stuff to 4 link it with coilovers and it snow balled from there. While in turkey i got told i was moving to Texas, so instead of moving parts i rushed the 4 link install when i got home and was not happy with it. It did make it easier to move though.

Upon arriving to Texas i said screw it I'm gonna do it how i want it and started the tear down. Currently the rear is a ford 8.8 4 linked with ride tech coils, and im planing on sticking with the axle and coilovers, but want to redo the rest, or clean it up as best as possible.

The front was all stock toyota, which rode like a**. After looking at different options from, newer toyota truck stuff to nissan 240sx front coilovers, I decided on mustang 2. For a few reasons: 1. Lots of people have had great success with it, 2. Gets rid of my steering box and torsion arms, 3. With my level of expertise(not much) i found it to be the least likely way to make me give up halfway.

So thats where i am right now. I just got most of the front end out and should be starting the mock up and putting the new in hopefully this next weekend.

Now pictures!

Little weekend update.

I had some time throughout the week to to get all the old brackets off(i wish i had a plasma) and get the frame cleaned up some. I did an awful lot of measuring according to the instructions i got with my crossmember and did made a few cuts. Of course i made about 10 trips back and forth from the table to the front of the truck until i think i finally got it where i need it.

i did a very crude mock up to see where my control arms would sit.

If I'm not mistaken, I want my lower control arms to sit parallel at ride height. I've never gone this in depth with suspension, and have been trying to read up on it. If anyone has any helpful input I would much appreciate it.

I had a somewhat productive weekend with the truck. I did a lot more measuring a little bit of cutting, and even less welding.

First i hooked up the new radio because my last one was pretty damaged.

i took awhile squaring up and leveling the crossmember, then tacked it in.

mocked up the lower control arm and spindle again.

The last thing i did was bend up the upper control arm mounts and cut them to fit.

Hopefully i can get them tacked in so i can see the big picture some point this week. Once i know all my measurements are ok I'll go ahead and final weld everything and hopefully have some money for coilovers.

Also i need a top to my bench if you cant tell. I havent decided on just doing plywood or maybe steel.

Hey i didnt give up, I've just been busy with work and a little bit of life.

I did make quite a bit of progress on the little truck. Most of everything is welded in so once i decide on the motor and get motor mounts in ill take it all back apart for paint and what not.

Made some cardboard templates

Then made them into metal

At some point i mocked up the rack and coilovers

Mocked up a wheel, but forgot to put the caliper in.

and finally set her on the ground for the first time in a month or so.

Try not to judge the messy little garage, once the thunderstorms stop ill push the truck outside and hopefully clean it out.

And that catches us up to real time. I have no idea how fast this build will go or how entertaining it will be, but i will try to keep up to date.

so happy to see this thing back. really dig it on the new wheels as well. in for more homie!

Originally posted by BozoBubble
    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Its been a few weeks since I've updated. I did more thinking then working for most of it haha. Buuuut i did do some work and took a big step forward on both the truck and hopefully my confidence. I've never attempted this much "fab" work before this truck so I mostly just wing it and read.

Anyway on to pics

This was after i cut the frame obviously, and mocking up a new lower link crossmember. It will have a loop for drive shaft once everything is welded fully.

My first thought for frame rails was to have them match the angle of the upper links and straighten back out past the axle for the fuel cell. After attempting a few compound cuts and watching the smoke pour out of my ears from geometry i gave up and decided to cut them straight the whole way which will actually work out better.

They are just over 17" apart for the fuel cell in the back and lined up almost perfect to the angle i had my shocks mounted at previously. I also made a template for shock mounts but ill wait to make them once the frame is fully welded.

A friend from work has a tig and has offer to both help and teach me, so hopefully that will make progress move faster.

Thanks again for all the support!

Comment

oh my...

Comment

Love the meaty fitment on the Watanabes. Also subbed for more truck goodness.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

This is going to be epic...
            sigpic

Comment

God I love mini truck builds.

Comment

Looking good. Will hang around for future updates!
                Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! hopefully ill have a little update here in the next few days. I sold some wheels off one of the dailies so i have some extra cash to throw at this. Few pics of said car:

Sold these

Current setup

Hopefully these hold everyone over until i can get more done on the truck

Comment

Did some small stuff on the little truck and some projects in the garage to make it easier to work on things in the future. First I finally got around to hanging up the LED shop light I had for my work bench. Also for the work bench i actually mounted the top so I'm not using random flooring pieces.

Then I made some gussets/fish plates for the back half.

One of basically everything I accomplished.

Annnd last but not least I washed the M, and you can see the top of the other DD behind it.

Comment

So since photobucket decided to be lame heres some of the photos along with some new stuff

I cant quite remember where i left off, so ill start with i bought a cheapish tig to learn on. I was playing around with it for awhile completely ignoring the truck haha

Then i figured i need to get down to business and at least make it a roller again.

Then i picked up the motor that hopefully will make its way in the bay sooner rather then later.

And then put some itbs on it because who doesnt love some itbs, other those that have turbo.

Thats about all that i can remember. The upper link bar mounts aren't the final product, but i couldnt figure out for the life of me how to get the angle i needed out of the mounts i wanted to use. I just used the box tube so i could get the anngle right and transfer it over.

Annnd heres a picture of the better of my attempts at tig

Comment

Move back home I miss you ((

Trucks looking freakin sweet too. Been watching you closely on instagram lol
                        Bagged '01 325i Touring - Sold 😢
                        Bagged '10 E90 335i - Build Thread

Comment

BEAMS, nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugger View Post
                            Move back home I miss you ((

Trucks looking freakin sweet too. Been watching you closely on instagram lol

Haha I still have the house there, plus Lauren' family is in Raleigh so I'm sure ill be back every so often.

Also my instagram is that_little_truck if anyone wants to check that out. I try to post everytime i work on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X