• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil's Toyota Crown (GRS182) Daily

Current look:
    DSC01427-2 by Phil, on Flickr

Hi.

After being brutally ripped a new ass hole by police on New years eve and starting to have trouble fitting my camera equipment in my old car:
    DSC00558 by Phil, on Flickr
    15823242_944771792321813_4230730733595703355_n by Phil, on Flickr

I decided it was time to get something bigger that would actually fit things in it but still be cool whilst looking a bit more "reasonable" so as to avoid getting pulled over and fined all the time living in this stupid country of illegal car modifications known as Australia.

I bought the car from a guy up in Queensland and had it freighted down to a depot an hour away from my house. Picked the car up the next day after it arrived and was excited as hell!
    DSC00708 by Phil, on Flickr
    DSC00715 by Phil, on Flickr

Looked great, came on Work Schwert SC2's, Tein Flex Z coilovers and some adjustable arms in the rears too! Score!

But into all of 20 minutes of owning the car, that part about avoiding getting pulled over didn't last long.

DSC00714 by Phil, on Flickr

Major defect notice and $389 fine. You can probably see my disgust even in the potato photo from the crap this guy was speaking. Just Australia things. Apparently if you hit a gutter at 15km/h with stretched tires you'll flip your car and die... Think the cop needs to attend a physics class for once in his life.

Being so shaken after the stupid stuff around of getting pulled up so quickly, I decided even though I'm low on cash since my old car hasn't sold yet, that I should go out of my way to get some daily wheels. The next day I ended up with a set of Work Eurolines.

It looks surprisingly sweet even with the garbage fitment (given I did drop the car a little bit more), but that's just the nature of needing daily wheels in this god forsaken country I guess.

DSC00747 by Phil, on Flickr
    DSC00748 by Phil, on Flickr
    DSC00754 by Phil, on Flickr
    DSC00755 by Phil, on Flickr
    DSC00757 by Phil, on Flickr

I'm still shaken having been pulled over so fast sooo, think it's time I get some bags. That's all for now.
    Last edited by PhilTho; 05-04-2018, 09:42 AM.
    Originally posted by TRaNz
    your car isnt low enough.

Fuck I thought we had it rough in NZ... Not that bad by the looks.

Nice pick up.

Comment

Oh dude. Are they serious?

Have you got some centre caps for the Eurolines?

Comment

Originally posted by Hayce View Post
        Fuck I thought we had it rough in NZ... Not that bad by the looks.

Nice pick up.
        Yeah, this country confuses me. Thanks though!

Originally posted by Jimmy_HR32 View Post
        Oh dude. Are they serious?

Have you got some centre caps for the Eurolines?
        Words escape me as to how idiotic the cop was.

Do have caps for the Eurolines, just didn't have them on for the photos cause I was too lazy to put all the bolts back on cause for some reason I thought all of them were holding it on lol

Comment

I often think about moving to Australia for a few years but it just seems like the auto laws would ruin it for me. You guys get so many cool ass cars and can't even do everything you want to them without getting your ass reamed. This thing is awesome but sucks about the cop situation.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
            I often think about moving to Australia for a few years but it just seems like the auto laws would ruin it for me. You guys get so many cool ass cars and can't even do everything you want to them without getting your ass reamed. This thing is awesome but sucks about the cop situation.
            Yeah, look if you wanna move here whilst being someone that modifies cars, I'd highly suggest against it. The Cops that pull you up and defect you don't even know the proper laws themselves, they legitimately make shit up as they go.

Comment

Nice pick up sir!
              IG: @sebastienaudeon
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.
              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Very sweet Crown my man. I'm gonna sound like a newb but is that generation of Crown at all related to the Lexus LS430 that we have here in the States? It looks very similar.

As far as the anti-hoon patrol go, screw 'em. I get that people die in car accidents but that trash they pulled on you was out of line. I hope Australia is freed from the tyrannical anti-car spazzes someday.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                  Nice pick up sir!
                  Originally posted by BozoBubble View Post
                  Very sweet Crown my man. I'm gonna sound like a newb but is that generation of Crown at all related to the Lexus LS430 that we have here in the States? It looks very similar.

As far as the anti-hoon patrol go, screw 'em. I get that people die in car accidents but that trash they pulled on you was out of line. I hope Australia is freed from the tyrannical anti-car spazzes someday.
                  Thanks guys c:

Fairly sure it's similar to an LS430, just a bit newer since the production dates are 2004-2008ish. If anything I think the chassis etc is more closer to a 3GS than a UCF30 since some of the suspension is compatible.

Also, think I've found myself a set of bags on Yahoo Auctions Japan but I need my old 86 to sell :|

Comment

Thought I might update this.

Nothing much has changed. Went to a few Cars & Coffee events as is. Old car is on the verge of selling so now begins the many hours of research on bags. (If anyone in here has experience with Air Runner products, pls tell me how they ride!)

Photoshop mockup of how I would like it to sit I did today so this should hopefully happen soon. Should be a bit better too when I get the lips and sideskirts painted and put on too but that won't happen until the bags are in since this country is still stupid and police presence seems a bit higher than usual.

PhotoshoppedBags_1 by Phil, on Flickr
                    PhotoshoppedBags_2 by Phil, on Flickr

Having actually done that has made me so much more keen to do it. Also just started doing some work with the man behind Australia's RWB film so that should provide me a bit more work and cash flow to make this thing cooler and do little touch ups.

Comment

Bags will suit your car perfectly

Also I think your daily wheels look awesome
                      Sorry to hear that your police sucks so hard, but here in Germany it's also a hard time driving low cars :/

Comment

Originally posted by jotemha View Post
                        Bags will suit your car perfectly

Also I think your daily wheels look awesome
                        Sorry to hear that your police sucks so hard, but here in Germany it's also a hard time driving low cars :/
                        Thanks! I'm actually intending to sell the Schwerts to fund an RC drift car and PC build (need new pc for work since my current one has now decided it doesn't like my footage anymore)so I may even refurb the eurolines and clean them up since they'll be my only wheels.

Police will never let us go peacefully ;(

Comment

Originally posted by PhilTho View Post
                          Major defect notice and $389 fine. You can probably see my disgust even in the potato photo from the crap this guy was speaking. Just Australia things. Apparently if you hit a gutter at 15km/h with stretched tires you'll flip your car and die... Think the cop needs to attend a physics class for once in his life.
                          It looks surprisingly sweet even with the garbage fitment (given I did drop the car a little bit more), but that's just the nature of needing daily wheels in this god forsaken country I guess.
                          I'm still shaken having been pulled over so fast sooo, think it's time I get some bags. That's all for now.
                          I feel your pain. I can't help but feel, though, that you are (in the mind of the police) the easiest of easy targets - you live in Victoria, you're on your Ps, you have an unusual car with clearly "non-standard" parts, and now you have a history of defects. Not everywhere cracks down on the perceived "hoons" as strictly as Victoria.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                          Originally posted by PhilTho View Post
                          Yeah, look if you wanna move here whilst being someone that modifies cars, I'd highly suggest against it. The Cops that pull you up and defect you don't even know the proper laws themselves, they legitimately make shit up as they go.
                          I think, for the sake of balance, it's important to give a perspective from the other end of the spectrum.
                          Prior to moving overseas, I had a highly modified JZA80 with personal plates. I lived in Canberra at the time and drove it *daily* to work, but roadtripped it on occasion to Sydney (and once to the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria). The car made an appearance at Autosalon, and was on the cover of a magazine.
                          I have had zero issues with being targeted by police. No "excessive noise" fines, no "roadworthiness" defects, no "random" breathalyser testing... nothing unwarranted. I *have* been pulled over, along with other motorists, for registration checks and "driving under the influence" testing, but never targeted because of the appearance of my car.

However, my car was always registered, tyres were always legal, the car was not obviously too low, my license was always current, I was not an 18-23 year old male, I didn't go "cruising" to the hotspots on Friday or Saturday nights, and I didn't live in the Police State, Victoria :p.
                          Last edited by sdistc; 06-12-2017, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdistc View Post
                            I didn't live in the Police State, Victoria :p.
                            Honestly, I feel like NSW is the worst when it comes to HWP and defects. Visits I've made have been littered with more HWP than I see around Victoria. Friend's car lasted legitimately 3 minutes there with his wheels on and we were going to be red labelled / grounded 50 metres from where we were staying. I guess it's just luck of the draw with which cop you get, when and where. Another of my friends here in Vic with a widebody golf, another widebody impreza all got pulled up and didn't even get fined. We spoke to the cop for a good 30 minutes and he said he's never defected someone for catless exhausts since he thinks cats are shit and said he was wasting his time since all of them were just gonna get dodgy rwc's.

I guess I'm just unlucky and salty over whats happened, and remember you are here on Stance Works where we want cars that are obviously too low with silly size tires haha

To keep this on topic (rolling video)
                            video-1494581189.mp4 by Phil, on Flickr
                            Last edited by PhilTho; 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Pulled a couple of degrees out of the back to make the rear fitment with the Eurolines a bit nicer. Also polished up the headlights so they're not gross anymore.

DSC00835 by Phil, on Flickr
                              DSC00850-Edit by Phil, on Flickr
                              DSC00857 by Phil, on Flickr
                              DSC00859 by Phil, on Flickr

Feel like I should take photos a bit more often. Might show some of these to a local dealership and see if I can get some work with them too.

Also rip my mate I was cruising with in this (potato) photo, major grounded and since axles self notched the frame more than likely the car won't come back without some dodgy shit. Not to mention $600 in fines...
                              20517514_1410371009011992_1712676340_o (1) by Phil, on Flickr

Frustration with what happened to him along with a few other things is making me consider going over to a Japanese language school for a year or something to get a move on with making me permanently move there in the future. Who knows what'll happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X