No announcement yet.

Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep at it bro! Love the work you have done so far. Stay strong, when it's working it will all be worth it
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Originally posted by tonis View Post
      If it runs good without a tps maybe it's because it goes into open loop that way? That would mean it could also be maf or o2 sensors instead. Maybe try unpluging the maf instead of the tps to see if it acts the same way.
      I keep getting a TPS fault code, so I think its something with the DME not actually recognizing the sensor properly. If I unplug the maf it shuts right off which when I read up it will run on either the maf or tps if one isnt working.

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
      Keep at it bro! Love the work you have done so far. Stay strong, when it's working it will all be worth it
      Thanks, I hope I can get it going soon.

So over the weekend I ended up just working on my tool boxes more...finding out how many sockets I have lost over the years is annoying but of course I have extras of all the ones that I didnt loose. I did however get these throttle cable bushings installed (ended up deleting cruise control in the process). Both bushings were shot anyway so I was thinking just maybe, that extra slop was messing something up. Also thew in the cage....yeah its staying black till winter when I pull it and get it powdered coated. I didnt bolt it in yet but its there. Have yet to drive the car.

throttle bushing by minthinrich, on Flickr
      cage 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      Last edited by hinrichs; 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Got my new tune thursday last week, swapped the ecu out, still having the same issue (hoping it was a fried connection), so I ordered up a new engine harness since we both think its somehow a wiring issue somewhere since its throwing a hard code as soon as you turn the key. That will be here tomorrow so time to pull the intake off once again. Also needed to order one new fuel injector since I broke one of the plastic ends over the weekend putting it back together again after trying to find a broken wire.

kassel ecu by minthinrich, on Flickr

My girlfriend helped me finally bolt in the cage this weekend. I felt like an idiot having to run to get bolts 2 times since I couldn't seem to count correctly, but its in. Still need to figure out the back sides of the seat trim tho, since I want to put it back in and make it look factory since this time around I want to keep the back seats in for sound deadening. Also this car I think is only going to be autocrossed so I dont need to strip it out. Even if I do go to the hill climb eventually, I want to be in the street class which would need a full interior basically.

cage stock seats by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also just for fun, I placed in one of my stashed away old style Sparco seat belts. Its only a simple 4 point and of course I have one blue, and one black, but the stock seats dont look terrible with them. I know schroth makes a quick fit option, but not sure how it works with a harness bar like I have now. I have some plans on seats, just need to figure out which way I want to go. Main issue is my girlfriend fitting in a passenger seat haha.

blue harness by minthinrich, on Flickr
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Great Job n Nice Car. 1 of my favorite bodies !

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post

m3 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            m3 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/r3twjm]

Searching for name of those rims, can you help?
            BMW Forum

Comment

You're seriously replacing the whole harness? Why not just locate the issue with a multi-meter and repair it for a fraction of the cost and time.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
              I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by stranger View Post

Searching for name of those rims, can you help?
                Millie Miglia, I forget which model they are, but I actually still have that set which never sold.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                You're seriously replacing the whole harness? Why not just locate the issue with a multi-meter and repair it for a fraction of the cost and time.
                I already did the engine harness as it was only $250 and the one I ended up with is in much better shape anyway. I figured the issue was in the rats nest of wires that is in the middle of the harness so out it went....best part is it solved nothing

From more reading and reading and reading, everyone says you have to use oem sensors on these cars and that nothing else works, so I will be ordering them up today and hoping for the best.
                Last edited by hinrichs; 06-08-2017, 10:16 AM.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Thanks!
                  BMW Forum

Comment

So finally got the OEM sensors....which arent cheap....and guess what....nothing changed.

Really starting to get to the point of giving up and selling this car. Maybe ill just get a loan like I should have and build another e46 or something newer.
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Only update, took the car to my local shop yesterday.
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Hope for valve guide seals, easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                          Hope for valve guide seals, easy fix.
                          I dont even know what to think could be wrong. The shop has the expensive BMW scanner so maybe they can dig in more. The current misfire sure made it miserable to drive it there, good thing its not too far away from me but the highway was interesting.

Get a call from the shop....exactly what I was expecting that there is a wiring issue between the ECU and the TPS sensor...no shit I already knew that. New wiring, ecu, all sensors, yet this pos still doesnt work right.
                          Last edited by hinrichs; 07-06-2017, 12:46 PM.
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Don't quit ): we believe in you. OG

Comment

Do you know anyone or have access to an O-Scope? You could monitor the TPS signal at the sensor and at the ECU to see what kind of signal you are getting.

Comment

Picked the car up from the shop, somehow the leak detection pump was shorted to ground causing my issues. Shop traced the wires and that was tied together from my understanding.

Still dealing with the cam code, but I think that may be some vanos related issue.

Also power steering is now fighting me.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X