No announcement yet.

Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled the dash on friday, was really surprised how easy that was compared to some other cars. Went ahead and installed the Mkah gauge panel which fits really well. I will get some real pics once the dash is back in. I am having a hell of a time getting the gauges wires into the engine bay since they are not very long. I tried to go from the typical spot with the battery cables and no dice, then tried from the ecu bin and well yeah its still too short. Ideally I would pull the heater core...which might still happen but I plan to keep that for now and the hvac control will be in the glove box. I am a little too worried about the windows fogging up.

dash out by minthinrich, on Flickr
    mkah gauge panel by minthinrich, on Flickr

Took me a little while to figure out the bimmerworld gauge block which made me feel really dumb, also had to move over the coolant adapter piece. My car had the tb hose one hole over, so the adapter didnt work on the blank plugged space that was already there, so I ended up just plugging the tb coolant hose return. Need to order a new oil separator hose as well as mine finally split and I dont see how the silicone one that comes in the kit can work since it doesnt fit over the stock fittings.

gauge adapters by minthinrich, on Flickr

I did however take a trip to Stable Energies in Nj to pick out a new seat. I took along my recaro to verify if it was real since its missing the FIA tag, but it is a real seat just sort of a blemish. I know all the older pole positions are not FIA anyway after the major recall. Ended up sitting in all the seats which I really wanted a halo, but seeing as I will drive the car on the street often I pushed that style back and went with the OMP First-R which is the "budget" of the WRC-R. It has a different cushion, fully upholstered which is kinda weird but whatever, and non finished fiberglass. $550 out the door with a FIA seat that fits me great.....yeah I am happy. I can basically get 2 if I want a passenger to match for the price of most of what I was looking at. I will need new side mounts I think however since the VAC are kinda low and I have no real adjustment whatsoever with them other than the top holes and its as high as I can get it with no real room to get the bolts into the bottom mounts.

omp seat by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• please get two, it really upsets me OCD when i see people with mismatched front seats
      Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
        please get two, it really upsets me OCD when i see people with mismatched front seats
        I plan to, but might get a slight reclining omp but havent decided yet. Either way itll be the same brand at least....hell might even get a halo for me lol.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Rear aero ordered

I am keeping these safe for now, sadly they are 19x11 and 19x12......so I dont think I will even humor myself of trying them on the car. They are for sale tho if anyone is interested.

racing dynamics by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also here are the gauges starting up.

Last edited by hinrichs; 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Damn those RD's look good!!

edit.... did they used to be on an e9X M3?
            Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Should have some better pics this weekend after I get my new side mounts for the seat, and finish up the install of my passenger seat.

Untill then here is the wing, which showed up yesterday. Debating on ordering the taller risers for it but I will see what I think after a few days.

battle 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              BATTLE 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                BATTLE 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                E36 tool kit... big fucking hammer.
                Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Ended up getting new OMP side mounts since I couldnt stand trying to deal with the VAC anymore, which is good since I am up slightly higher, and I have room to go down. The VAC mounts I honestly had no adjustability whatsoever which was annoying. I am using them for the passenger seat however.

Got the seat mounted up last night....which I need to try and tweak a little since its kinda angled (Dont think I can fix this). Also got my new Schroth harness fitted up. Havent decided what I will run on the passenger side yet.

seat 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  seat 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Totally forgot I never put a picture up for this, which I know is super exciting....Deleted the heater core and plumbing which was a pain to do honestly. The thing weighs probably 25-30 pounds. I do plan to eventually add a small electric heater back into the mix just incase. Also need to read up on getting rid of the extra wiring, but I am nervous about it. Super awesome dumb cf vinyl for the win. I covered the bolt heads since they are welded on. It kinda looks dumb....but hell I saved myself $70 and already had the material sitting around.

heater delete by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  Last edited by hinrichs; 02-23-2018, 01:12 PM.
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• I dig those RD's, not very common. I have a gold set on my G37.

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      uuhhhhmmmmm....... why is your wing on backwards

Comment

• Originally posted by TechnoV View Post
                        uuhhhhmmmmm....... why is your wing on backwards
                        Good catch, I sure feel like a dumbass. I had it on and off so many times I missed which way it went. Fixed it last night and added in some washers to help the bolts and stuff better on the uprights. I might get shorter hardware as well but it doesn't look bad at all. I think I will leave the height as well. The roof line picture really isn't a good one (don't mind the crap paint) but it seems to be a very good height now.

spoiler 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        spoiler 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Pulled it out of the garage for a little

IMG_0385 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          IMG_0387 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          IMG_0386 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• just noticed the UK number plate!
                            Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Looking good, what track events do you have planned for this year?

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                              "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                              SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by 19birel View Post
                                Looking good, what track events do you have planned for this year?
                                I plan to run Pagoda and Duryea hill climbs since they are 15 min from my house, if that. Also might try and hit a few of the other PA runs we have, just all comes down to $$$ I am willing to spend and if I can get the car to pass tech. Need to setup an appointment soon to see what all I need yet for the car. Also going to try and find some auto x events as well.

Got my care package from Condor Speed Shop last night, everything looks really good. Sticker didnt fair too well in the package tho lol. Shipping was really fast tho which I was happy about...not that I was in a rush or anything.

condor 11 by minthinrich, on Flickr

This also came along with it, which honestly really makes me happy as a customer. I deal in sales daily so this little extra will keep me buying more of their products I feel.

condor note by minthinrich, on Flickr

Went ahead and installed the lollipops first which was a slight challenge to get the oem off. Used a 3 jaw puller which was perfect. Hit the ends with a wire wheel since they were a little dirty. Need to mess with the driver side however since it was fighting me to go on.

condor 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next was the Engine and Trans mounts which was sooo easy to do. I went with the "short" engine mounts and solid trans. I will report back once I actually get to drive the car on how loud they made the car. However having no carpet/heater/insulation material....its not like a normal test. I do plan to order a new solid mounted shifter as well which is why I went solid mounts.

condor 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                condor 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X