Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 19birel View Post
    Could your wheels (or a wheel) be out of balance, causing the shimmy?
    I have thought about that a few times, but I really doubt coming from tire rack, they are not balanced well. It also did this with the stock wheels when I got the car.....Oddly my old red E36 did the exact same thing. I also did get a proper alignment as well before.

I have a feeling its the steering rack itself. I have the new solid lolipops which I thought tightened everything up, but that changed yesterday when I went out for a short ride with the gf. What makes me think the racks bad, is that if I turn the wheel slowly with the wheels off the ground, it has a weird hesitation or it skips. Hard to really explain it.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• it does it over bumps....not sure how im gonna deal with it yet
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
        it does it over bumps....not sure how im gonna deal with it yet
        Have you checked rack mounts?
        Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• That was supposed to be an answer to the wing shaking lol, not the steering. I will check to make sure everything on it is tight tho.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

That was supposed to be an answer to the wing shaking lol, not the steering. I will check to make sure everything on it is tight tho.
            The wing my end up requiring tension cables.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
              The wing my end up requiring tension cables.
              Need to figure out how to make them, trying to find a write up so far hasnt been rewarding.

Decided to not run my home made passenger mount anymore, mainly due to I would have to redo it again since its not adjustable at all. Would have had to redo the one side and yeah I am over messing with seat mounts. So I ordered up another VAC floor mount adapter with anti sub harness bracket. The other day my passenger harness showed up as well.

DUAL HARNESS by minthinrich, on Flickr

Ignore the floor underneath the seat. I am still working on really cleaning that and getting the tar shit off still. Its blocked by the seat so I kinda dont care but it annoys me. Not shown but also added 2 eye bolts on the tunnel for the harenss clips. Waiting on 2 clips for the harness since they werent included which annoyed me.

passenger mount by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next up, I wasnt very happy with the original "BMW Motorsport" sticker I made for the wing. It kinda fit well, but I stretched it too far and it looked weird. So I redid that last night to match the battle aero stickers that came with the wing. Might end up going to matte white eventually but I like this for now. Giant wing needs a flashy sticker right?

bmw power by minthinrich, on Flickr
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Need to figure out how to make them, trying to find a write up so far hasnt been rewarding.
                Tension cables are necessary to help stabilize the stands at high speeds.This video shows how to install cables and add tension them onto Battle Aero Chassis...

Comment

• Cool thanks, that seems easy enough other than the crimper.
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Cool thanks, that seems easy enough other than the crimper.
                    The one thing I would add to that would be slip some heat shrink on with the piece you crimp that way after it's done you can cover that union and the loose cable end. It seems like a little detail but that little bugger can be sharp.

Comment

• Stopped at home depot on my lunch break, ended up getting coated wire which I figure might hold up a little longer. Glad that stuff is cheap. Didnt want to buy the tool but whatever I am sure ill need it again eventually...for something.

WIRE by minthinrich, on Flickr
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Bought the correct size cable yesterday, drilled 2 holes, and now I have what seems to be a solid setup.

wing cables by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• I'm glad that worked out for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                            I'm glad that worked out for you!
                            Thanks ! I was surprised honestly how just one changed it. I have yet to drive it as I was working on some other things and I didnt want to put the car back on the ground. I will be ordering a rebuilt steering rack tomorrow which hopefully gets my power steering working again. I can handle the no power, but its getting really old.
                            Last edited by hinrichs; 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM.
                            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• You know I love this!! if you got to change the rack, maybe its worth putting a purple tag in there?
                              Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
                                You know I love this!! if you got to change the rack, maybe its worth putting a purple tag in there?
                                I think I will just be getting another stock one. Going through rackdoctor.net which I think you have to get whatever you will be sending back to them since they need a core which doesnt cost anything but I think you get a lifetime warranty at that point. Its only $250 shipped which is nice as well instead of 500+ for the reman ones everyone else sells.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X