Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 3....another M3 build

aside from the bad luck youve had with this one i like the direction, love the cage and that oldschool steering wheel

2 questions

1.) what colour you painting the cage?

2.) did you have to use the original sensor and throttlebody when you swapped inlet? or is it all built in? (im not a bmw guy so dont ****)
    LIL HIGH x LIL LOW

My stage 3 Focus ST MK2 build:
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...CON-1-Focus-ST

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    aside from the bad luck youve had with this one i like the direction, love the cage and that oldschool steering wheel

2 questions

1.) what colour you painting the cage?

2.) did you have to use the original sensor and throttlebody when you swapped inlet? or is it all built in? (im not a bmw guy so dont ****)
    1.Not really sure yet, last car I just left it black and it was boring. I was thinking red or something but thats kind of boring as well. Good thing as any color works well with silver. Thinking whatever it ends up being I will get whatever wheels I pick matched to the cage.

2.Yes original(and new) sensor, and also stock throttle body. The intake manifold I swapped is from an older m50 which is obd1 and flows better.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    1.Not really sure yet, last car I just left it black and it was boring. I was thinking red or something but thats kind of boring as well. Good thing as any color works well with silver. Thinking whatever it ends up being I will get whatever wheels I pick matched to the cage.

2.Yes original(and new) sensor, and also stock throttle body. The intake manifold I swapped is from an older m50 which is obd1 and flows better.
    GT3RS Green

you need to get it diagnosed, was it acting up before the manifold swap?
    LIL HIGH x LIL LOW

My stage 3 Focus ST MK2 build:
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...CON-1-Focus-ST

Hopefully friday I can get the car up to a shop an hour away to try and figure some stuff out as well as tune it for whats been done so far.

Last night I installed the headlights, and broke one of them already (well the sidemarker tab) so I am pissed about that. Also did an oil change and it was just black with no signs of coolant.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

If it runs good without a tps maybe it's because it goes into open loop that way? That would mean it could also be maf or o2 sensors instead. Maybe try unpluging the maf instead of the tps to see if it acts the same way.

Keep at it bro! Love the work you have done so far. Stay strong, when it's working it will all be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by tonis View Post
    If it runs good without a tps maybe it's because it goes into open loop that way? That would mean it could also be maf or o2 sensors instead. Maybe try unpluging the maf instead of the tps to see if it acts the same way.
    I keep getting a TPS fault code, so I think its something with the DME not actually recognizing the sensor properly. If I unplug the maf it shuts right off which when I read up it will run on either the maf or tps if one isnt working.

Quote Originally Posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    Keep at it bro! Love the work you have done so far. Stay strong, when it's working it will all be worth it
    Thanks, I hope I can get it going soon.

So over the weekend I ended up just working on my tool boxes more...finding out how many sockets I have lost over the years is annoying but of course I have extras of all the ones that I didnt loose. I did however get these throttle cable bushings installed (ended up deleting cruise control in the process). Both bushings were shot anyway so I was thinking just maybe, that extra slop was messing something up. Also thew in the cage....yeah its staying black till winter when I pull it and get it powdered coated. I didnt bolt it in yet but its there. Have yet to drive the car.

throttle bushing by minthinrich, on Flickr
    cage 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Last edited by hinrichs; 06-05-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Got my new tune thursday last week, swapped the ecu out, still having the same issue (hoping it was a fried connection), so I ordered up a new engine harness since we both think its somehow a wiring issue somewhere since its throwing a hard code as soon as you turn the key. That will be here tomorrow so time to pull the intake off once again. Also needed to order one new fuel injector since I broke one of the plastic ends over the weekend putting it back together again after trying to find a broken wire.

kassel ecu by minthinrich, on Flickr

My girlfriend helped me finally bolt in the cage this weekend. I felt like an idiot having to run to get bolts 2 times since I couldn't seem to count correctly, but its in. Still need to figure out the back sides of the seat trim tho, since I want to put it back in and make it look factory since this time around I want to keep the back seats in for sound deadening. Also this car I think is only going to be autocrossed so I dont need to strip it out. Even if I do go to the hill climb eventually, I want to be in the street class which would need a full interior basically.

cage stock seats by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also just for fun, I placed in one of my stashed away old style Sparco seat belts. Its only a simple 4 point and of course I have one blue, and one black, but the stock seats dont look terrible with them. I know schroth makes a quick fit option, but not sure how it works with a harness bar like I have now. I have some plans on seats, just need to figure out which way I want to go. Main issue is my girlfriend fitting in a passenger seat haha.

blue harness by minthinrich, on Flickr
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Great Job n Nice Car. 1 of my favorite bodies !

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post

m3 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    m3 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/r3twjm]

Searching for name of those rims, can you help?

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

You're seriously replacing the whole harness? Why not just locate the issue with a multi-meter and repair it for a fraction of the cost and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post

Searching for name of those rims, can you help?
    Millie Miglia, I forget which model they are, but I actually still have that set which never sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    You're seriously replacing the whole harness? Why not just locate the issue with a multi-meter and repair it for a fraction of the cost and time.
    I already did the engine harness as it was only $250 and the one I ended up with is in much better shape anyway. I figured the issue was in the rats nest of wires that is in the middle of the harness so out it went....best part is it solved nothing

From more reading and reading and reading, everyone says you have to use oem sensors on these cars and that nothing else works, so I will be ordering them up today and hoping for the best.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 06-08-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Thanks!

So finally got the OEM sensors....which arent cheap....and guess what....nothing changed.

Really starting to get to the point of giving up and selling this car. Maybe ill just get a loan like I should have and build another e46 or something newer.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville