No announcement yet.

Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race weekend went well, it was a hell of a hill to learn. I was the slowest in my class, but made a huge improvement over the weekend. I ended up getting 9 runs overall since my eyes/contacts were fighting me saturday afternoon (i slept 2 hours the night before) so I skipped the 5th. I ended up dropping from an 81.620 my first run, and finishing sunday with a 69.420

Some pics I got so far. I ended up getting my headlight deletes in Thursday before we had to leave. I ended up dipping them until I decide on paint or what I will do. I also have another set coming from Bigduck that I won.

2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    4 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Well at least in Stanceworks fashion you are looking good going slow. Just kidding, that type of driving takes a lot of skill and time to get comfortable I would imagine

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

• Somehow this awesome thread completely missed my attention until now!
        You have a really good looking racecar sir. Wide flares plans I don't like too much but if it's for moar fast I get it.

also, time may be high but a 12" gain in one day is something to be satisfied about IMO

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
          Well at least in Stanceworks fashion you are looking good going slow. Just kidding, that type of driving takes a lot of skill and time to get comfortable I would imagine
          We have had track guys come, drive up the hills a few times in their car slow, and load them back up on the trailer saying we are nuts. On a track you have a margin for error when you can run off. We hit trees so its kind of crazy. The hardest part for me was to trust the car since I honestly never really drove it more than a few times on the highway to work before this past weekend.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
          Somehow this awesome thread completely missed my attention until now!
          You have a really good looking racecar sir. Wide flares plans I don't like too much but if it's for moar fast I get it.

also, time may be high but a 12" gain in one day is something to be satisfied about IMO
          Thank you ! I am not sure on flares, a lot will change after the next race however since I need new tires and I will probably be switching wheels as well. Mostly everyone in my class is running at least a 285 slick so I need to go wider for more grip. If I stick with 255s I can stay on stock body but if I get flares, it will be the hard motorsport which I feel look the best and almost oem. I was going to get tires for the next race but it seems kind of pointless to not just stay on what I have now and wait until spring so they wont just be sitting.

I wish I could change the thread title on this one.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• race pics look awesome man

so glad you decided to keep the car
            THE ONLY NEGATIVE THINGS IN YOUR LIFE SHOULD BE YOUR CAMBER AND OFFSET

Comment

• Here is a video that someone made. I will have my GoPro running for the next event. I had planned to use it on my helmet but kept forgetting and didn't want to have to deal with it in the car yet.

Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Big duck club headlight deletes just showed up, not sure if I will run them or sell them. Nice quality however and a lot thicker than the S2Rtuning ones I had on for the race.

BIG DUCK DELETES by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Got my condor front windows last week but didnt have time to install over the weekend. Last night decided to pull the front windows, regulator, and everything I could in the doors. I left the wiring for now cuz I still might use the power locks....which my driver door cylinder isnt really cooperating with me anymore so I tend to not lock the door. The windows fit super tight and should seal well. They say you cant leave them in without adding extra support but I dont believe that yet. They are mainly for keeping pests and rain out when the car is sitting. At least now my car is fully GT2 legal. Just need to start taking more out of it. Next will be the sunroof which is going to be interesting as the cage is in the way completely.

CONDOR WINDOWS 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  CONDOR WINDOWS 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  Last edited by hinrichs; 10-02-2018, 07:38 AM.
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Looking properly racecar'd.
                    2 328i e36's
                    Saabaru linear 2.5na
                    Various projects.
                    sigpic
                    Intro;
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

• I haven't checked this in a while and this escalated quickly.

But I like it. A lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                        I haven't checked this in a while and this escalated quickly.

But I like it. A lot.
                        Thanks, I feel like no one ever sees this anymore.

Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                        Looking properly racecar'd.
                        Thank you, its sure interesting to drive on the street anymore. This winter will change that even more.

Ended up finally weighing the car, with prolly 3/4 tank of gas just to see where I am at after the cage and stuff. Have some ideas on where I can pull weight after talking to some guys, and there is a lot of extra wiring yet to pull but not too shabby on weight. I will also be pulling the rear 1/4 and rear glass soon. 2840 which I am not too sure how accurate the truck scale is.

SCALE by minthinrich, on Flickr

So the other day I was able to get my sunroof removed. Lets just say, I really should have pulled it before I welded in the front cage section. Its not impossible but wow what a royal pain it was to pull. I ended up having to cut the cassette 3 times to get it out of the car. Dropped prolly 40 lb which makes me happy.

SUNFROOF DELETE by minthinrich, on Flickr

Glad I pulled it however since I missed a weld in one spot, and over winter ill get the cage paint stripped and done better. I couldnt really paint a lot of it anyway so from above it kinda looks like crap.

Got my CF delete panel in. Was going to order from S2R tuning again, but I was so annoyed dealing with them for my headlight deletes I didnt want to do business with them again for a long time. I mean come on, how hard is it to give a customer tracking information. End rant....I ended up going to bimmerworld this time, could even be the same panel, but they had it in stock so thats where I went. Had it in 2 days like usual and got it installed asap. The last race of the year however was canceled so I rushed to get it in and I didnt really need it. Oh well its super shiny and looks kinda cool.....Also I made a rookie mistake while screwing in the back of the panel with a self tapper. Used one a little too long and made a pimple looking thing with a tiny hole in my roof. Hammered it down and threw on a big dogfish sticker I made for the upcoming autocross that I should be attending. Depending if I can make the drive to pittsburg area this weekend...I might have a big update to share.

CF PANEL by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        CF PANEL 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        Last edited by hinrichs; 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Mmmmmm. Tasty carbon fiber. Do you have sturgeon near you? Or just for novelty?

Any sneak peeks of next year's ideal wheel setup?
                          2 328i e36's
                          Saabaru linear 2.5na
                          Various projects.
                          sigpic
                          Intro;
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

• That sunroof delete panel looks sick!

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                              Mmmmmm. Tasty carbon fiber. Do you have sturgeon near you? Or just for novelty?

Any sneak peeks of next year's ideal wheel setup?
                              Originally posted by malik0272 View Post
                              That sunroof delete panel looks sick!
                              Thanks guys, I love the look but might end up painting over it IF the car gets painted over winter. Thinking about colors...itll stay some shade of silver but not 100% sure yet since its a race car. I really need to pull the panel tho and seal it since it got a little wet over the weekend.

Was bored the other day so decided to order the hood pins that I kept eyeing up for a few months. Went with the flush aerocatch. Install really is not too bad, but it was kinda tedious and the one side I had to keep trimming a little. This was due to my template I made and also that I used hole saws on the ends I think. One is slightly off but they work perfectly.

AEROCATCH4 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              aerocatch3 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I decided to use the stickers so I can see them flipped up if I forget to latch them before driving. Read about that on some forum and honestly I kinda think it looks better with them on...time will tell.

aerocatch 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              aerocatch2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Over the weekend I helped my SCCA chapter setup for an autocross at the Classic Auto Mall in morgantown PA. I highly suggest anyone local or not too far to check the place out when they are open. Lots of awesome cars inside. Truck got to do truck things which made me laugh taking 150+ cones.

tuck cones by minthinrich, on Flickr

Had the koseis for sale for about a week or more, figured no one would really want them locally so didnt think much about them. Then I get a message from a guy who wants them really bad saturday night.....I kept saying I kinda need them for the autox but he insisted on buying them and had cash. I had another person lined up but never really heard back and the offer was only a little less than that guy and he would be local and I didnt have to drive 2 hours to meet up. I decided around 9 at night to finally sell them and at 10:30 they were gone. So that left me with a decision about the autox which I was already registered for. Luckily I saved my old wheels and tires from the red E36 I built 3 years ago. 2 are red, 2 are silver, fronts have 500 tread wear hankook ventus v2 tires which are basically brand new. The rears I have no idea what the tires are but they are almost bald and the same 500 tread wear. What an interesting setup to race on. It also was wet so yeah...I had no traction but it was a hell of a fun time.

autox by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              AUTOX2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Best part tho was getting to have passengers. Gf went along for most of the day which was fun for her to see the car in a different perspective than just the side lines. Now to get her a helmet of her own.

autox3 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Friday I am picking up the new to me wheels and flares. Depending on what I have going on this weekend, they will get installed and I will have a lot more pictures and possibly a video.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Met my friend saturday to get the wheels and flares. I ended up getting 4 enkei NT03+m wheels wrapped in 285/30/18 Hoosier A7, 4 extra tires with about 50% life, and the hard motorsport flares.

picking up the tires by minthinrich, on Flickr

After grabbing some dinner with him and his wife, headed back home and unloaded everything and started to get working on the fenders. Had to see how wide these tires were next to my extra wheels. This is with a 225/45/17

size comparison by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                hands by minthinrich, on Flickr

Taped the drivers side, marked my lines and then started to cut.

cutting 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                cutting 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Grabbed the drivers flare and riveted it on. Fits really well after some minor trimming around the side trim which I need to go back and mess with more. Learned a lot from this side for the passenger.

mounted 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                mounted 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Cut the passenger side which went much faster, but I need to order a replacement flare. The one I got which was in a crash, is a little beat up and twisted. Its also cracked worse than I originally thought. Not a big deal however. Hard to see, but its crazy how wide the wheels are and how silly it looks with out the front bumper on. Cant wait to see the rears. Bumper isnt adjusted properly on this side and it also doesnt have a side mount to hold it up.

cutting 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                no bumper by minthinrich, on Flickr

Driver side looks good, but I need to loose my 12.5mm spacer. Might need some shorter springs or something and pull the lower shims out.

mounted 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Should be working on the rears tonight hopefully which I am really going to take my time with. Kinda nervous about cutting it.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X