• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printed cars?

Okay this is quite exciting.

Audi apparently made a 3d printed car.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151...works-in-metal

The way it works is you simply upload a design in a these 3d printing machines and out pops a real fully working car. I'm assuming it's probably done in parts though . . .

Have any of you guys heard of this technology?

They do have these design files all over the place like this Subaru speaker bracket:
    https://pinshape.com/items/28876-3d-...ets-for-subaru

Not sure if I'll be able to print out a whole car but love to make some custom parts.

Cool i dont really understand how the 3d printing works

Comment

1:2 scale... doubt it'll ever be the main means of production

Comment

Listen...

I work for a german machine builder who biulds "real" 3d printer. If the printer is big enough you can prit a car. But you had to print every part by itself. The function is the same like a casted part. But the parts needs to be machined. Milling, turing, drilling, grinding...

How it works? Do you know sintered powderd? It is nearly the same. You need material. The material is like sand. In the machine is a laser. You but the metal powder in layers inside the machen. Then the laser "shoots" in the metal powder. The powder is melting. It is like welding...with a laser. If one layer is done next layer. One layer is about 0.01mm thin. So you can imagine how log it takes to print a car...prototypes (for example turbo blower) takes 2 days to print. Machines which are big enough for a turbo cost round about 1.500.000 to 2.000.000€.

my pictures on FLICKR

Comment

When I was a student, made a presentation about 3D printers. In the near future they are planning to print small houses with 3d printers But it's to hard to print a car just in one step, as someone said only part by part

Comment

The Museum of Science in Boston has the first 3D Printed car. Got a chance to see it in person this spring. Pretty neat, but obviously the layer detail is pretty crude.

Article: The World's First 3D-Printed Car Is a Blast to Drive

Last edited by DUTCHswift; 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X