This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber: am I missing something

So why is it that so many people out there seem to like to wear out the insides of their tires? I see a lot of builds here that have an insane amount of negative camber so that their wheels are only touching the ground on the corner. This extreme negative camber to me is not only ridiculously ugly, but unsafe, and a great way to spend a lot of money on tires. So is there something I am missing, or is it just a matter of taste?

There's a few reasons why it's popular:

1. It was popular in Japan, so of course people are going to do it, because "JDM BRAH"

2. Some noticeable amounts of negative camber can be helpful in competitive drifting. Since drifting is a very popular form of Motorsport among import guys, they want to mimic the drift scene

3. Some people do it to be unique. I guess we as a car culture really have tried just about everything.

4. Finally, some people with negative camber are trolling IRL. Their only goal is to see people get mad at them for "ruining their car".

I wouldn't do it to my cars, but to each their own. And I will add, I have thought about doing it to something REALLY cheap and on it's last legs, like a Lumina or Concorde. But yeah, I don't get why people do it to their new WRX.
    sigpic

Comment

I feel a bit judgemental in saying this, but most people probably do it for the attention.

In my opinion, a bit of camber is nice and can help the wheels flow very nicely with the shape of the fenders if you get what I mean. But too much and it just becomes a scream for attention. And not of the good kind, imho.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

"Everything in moderation".
        BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
        Originally posted by Ollie
        We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

bar some good things in life Chris haha
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

I guess you're missing something. People do as they please with their cars and to each their own, people leave their older cars rusty or clear coat over their patina because they think that looks good, doesn't make sense to me but whatever.
            98 LS400///UCF20
            AimGain | AccuAir | Weds | Clazzio

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
              I feel a bit judgemental in saying this, but most people probably do it for the attention.

In my opinion, a bit of camber is nice and can help the wheels flow very nicely with the shape of the fenders if you get what I mean. But too much and it just becomes a scream for attention. And not of the good kind, imho.
              This x100

3/96 Build Date, Montreal Blue, 304,310 miles and counting...

Comment

Working...
              X