Mpire builds a time attack FC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpire builds a time attack FC!

back story: purchased an 88' GTU? from an older woman who has collected FC's since the 80's (she has like (9 atm) and I will be building it very slowly as I have kids and a career that get in the way as most of you do as well. but plans are Global Time Attack and Pikes Peak at some point. also keeping in rotor powered around 5-600whp. super wide aero on the way.

Made the first forward progress on my racecar today. Started spray foaming the fenders and quarters for the custom wide body (IMSA/DTM) themed with lots of Aero to be added.

The foam will allow me to create a template to fiberglass over to create a mold. The front end will end up being a one piece lift off style like a true factory spec race car. Hoping to shave a lot of weight in the process. Here's to a lot of trial and error and cold beer!!!

Cool, that's a clean specimen you got.
    I always wanted to try my hand at the spray foam over fender thing, its just Tits up a tree hard to get here. Please, please, please, show the fender-making process in detail.

Comment

in fo mo

Comment

Very interested in seeing the fender making process. Just a question though, Wouldn't you want to find the wheels you are going to run, cut as much fender you need to go along wiht the ground clearance you want, and then create the fenders accordingly? I've never done custom fenders like this but if I were planning on running wide wheels for time attack and definitely larger in diameter than the stock wheels I would get the car lowered with the wheels, cut the fenders and go from there. I may be mistaken though.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
        I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

I'm going with either an 18x10 +15 squared set of black rpf1 or 18x12 rs550rr or whatever they're called.

I'll be loading as much foam as possible prior to starting any actual shaping. Then I'll be measuring off of the hub outwards to about where the wheel edge should be and going from there. Luckily I have nothing but time so for now just spraying cans upon cans of foam until I'm happy with the amount and then I'll be specifically documenting the entire process for everyone. If for some reason this foam stuff doesn't pan out I'll use steel rod and make a sheet metal version and glass a mold out of that.

Comment

Also if anyone is interested in interior pieces pm me letting it go cheap. Seats are in decent shape $80+shipping.

I'll be refurbishing the bologna slicers and polishing them and selling them as they're in good shape.

Comment

You are on the same page as I am with the stance and wheels geometry prior to starting I am just preparing the body.

Comment

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap Rota or something with matching specs to work towards.

Comment

Damn you're like Tyler Fialko w/ that spray foam lmao. I'm stoked to see how it comes out dude!

Comment

yeah I'm probably gonna try and find a cheap 18x12 +0 or +15 to mock it up that's a great idea thanks. so far I'm just blowing money on cans of foam and different sanding discs to prepare for the shit storm that is coming when I start shaping them. also on the prowl for some abs sheets for under paneling and diffusers. gonna go flat bottom.

Comment

Working...
                    X