A very Merry Stanced Roadtrip 160,000 miles in four years in the van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very Merry Stanced Roadtrip 160,000 miles in four years in the van

So after a slow start in mileage on the van this year(only about 5,000) miles in the first couple months I decided I would drive the van up to the Detroit Autorama again this year.

My first stop was to drive from Houston to Plano TX to Mitch Henderson designs to have a front shock replaced that I blew the seal out of at the Houston Autorama. We decided to do a Pro-Comp shock this time, and the ride is even better than before with the stiffer shock over the factory style shock

Did some Photographs for Mitch's website while I was there

after goofing off way to long I left Plano with a epic sunset

first gas stop in the rain and high winds

spent the night in Arkansas due to the wind being crazy around 1 am so up at 8 the next am aimed towards Memphis

Almost to Memphis got a call from a Australian magazine asking if I would be in Indiana anytime soon, and I said....sure. So slight direction change and welcome to Missouri

and then Tennesee

oh and KY

premium unleaded started creeping up to the 4.00 range in KY

Everyone in Louisville knew I was getting close because the clouds that always seem to follow me finally caught up with me

Since where I had to shoot was right outside Cincinnati I stayed with my good friend Josh Shaw, and this wasnt a bad view to wake up to

After I got up I headed on to my assignment at BES racing engines this monster was 1800 hp NA and then 3500+ with spray

after I left there I headed to where Josh works, and its a step back in time. They restore old miller race cars, and have a ton of paraphernalia everywhere. This was the old Penske Dyno board that all the Indy race engines where ran on from the 70' 80's......I had to pull the throttle a couple times for good luck

Here is a miller car in a state of rebuild from the original chassis up

Here is me holding the original engine block from the 1928 Indy 500 winner

Back on the road thursday am it was alot nicer this year going this way it was 45 out, and last year it was -10......did I mention the van has no heat?

Welcome to Michigan

As soon as I came in the door I was face to face with the Brothers custom shoebox. This thing is all polished metal no clearcoat

Rocket wheel greeted me at the booth and gave me a new set of the all cast center for my wheels....bitchin. Now I just need to get them as dirty as the rest of the wheel

another bitchin shoebox

.....and they parked my favorite car behind me to tempt me all weekend

I guess I made it just in time because this is what it looked like when I got up

Another favorite from the show

Our good friend artist Max Grundy has joined the bearded militia....who would let this guy on a airplane...especially after they see his artwork

This was my choice to win the Riddler, and for the second year in a row I was correct. This year was a much tighter feild, and wait till you see future pics of this thing on the ground it is badass

Got Charlie Hutton to sign the van

Got interviewed by a corvair nut

Got our booth all setup

Had this aluminum print stolen out of the van the first night it was inside

Someone snapped this one of me leaving downtown after the show

Last year this time I had the honor of shooting this months cover of Rod&Custom and I was lucky to shoot the bare metal 31 in the back now that it was finished

You cant tell from this pic but it was 35 degrees with a 15mph wind

I also got to shoot my favorite car of the show

Woke up the next morning and it was a little cooler than I expected

so I started off shooting a bike

Then out visiting some shops....roadster GT-40 anyone?

....then back on the road..rolling through toledo ohio on the way to pittsburgh pa

made it to RPM's new shop and parked the van, and rode to my bed for the night I will post more over the next few days, and my trip to canada for megaspeed this coming weekend in Toronto

Last edited by NotStockPhoto; 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM.
    John Jackson
    www.NotStockPhotography.com

Remember that time we got thrown out of biology class for playing with matchbox cars???? Who's the retard now?

Facebook us
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/NotSto...=wall&filter=1

....also here is airlifts new video that has the van in it also
    John Jackson

Remember that time we got thrown out of biology class for playing with matchbox cars???? Who's the retard now?

Facebook us

Comment

So much badassery in this thread.
      I dislike Byron.

Comment

Saw you a couple times at the show, awesome van and photos. Keep it up my man!
        -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
        -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
        -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
        -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

surprisingly good read and the van is awesome

Comment

For being a good photographer, I'm disappointed that some of your (phone?) pictures are blurry. :P Just givin' ya shit. I love this thread, and it's really cool to that you have documented your travels for all to see. Keep them coming!
            sigpic
            GARAGE | THE PROFESSOR

Comment

Haha that's because the iPhone doesn't have high iso settings for the low light and one hand shooting I have to do lol
              John Jackson

Facebook us

Comment

To convey my feelings about this thread, only this picture will suffice:

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

John, you never disapppoint. I may have to venture down to Toronto this weekend and see if I can't finally meet you.

Originally posted by Kielan
                  Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

Comment

Wow, awesome story and awesome van. I love the bike on the work table, and your photos are great

Vintage European Shop Blog

Like Us On Facebook

Motorsport Hardware-->4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE

Comment

awesome stuff !

Comment

Very cool man.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words I am shooting BMX bikes and hotrods this week in PA then leave for Canada thursday
                          John Jackson

Facebook us

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Pops up a couple times in the new episode of my classic car around 35 seconds and overhead from the end
                              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDzn4JcB0bI&list=PLB4493B986BD1CBC6&index=2&feature=plpp_video"]My Classic Car Season 16 Episode 1 Preview - YouTube[/ame]
                              John Jackson

Facebook us

Comment

Working...
                              X