Little Low Red Wagon - The other Volvo wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Low Red Wagon - The other Volvo wagon

Well I figured since I was bored I'd start a build thread to throw my pics throughout this project. I had started one over on turbobricks so I copied and pasted it to here:

The influence behind my build has been my experience with modifying my truck. I spent countless dollars to get it low and in the end...I have a truck for sale that I'm losing money on. With the wagon I plan to have this project completed or at least close to how I want it for less than $2500, car included. I guess I kinda wanna prove you dont have to have a lot of money to have a fun car. Hell for that price all your gonna find is sunfires, neons, and old boats.

Said truck:

(now sold...to fund the Lolvo)

The story:
    I purchased the car for $500 from a couple that owned Volvo's for the last 10 years. They seemed pretty knowledgeable and because they had owned so many, I got a nice big box of extra parts, lights, fuses. relays (some of them are retarded expensive), a set of tail lights and a complete dash.

Here is the pic from the ad...at this point I had no idea what addiction would become of this. I was looking for only a beater to get through winter with. I wanted a wagon, awd or rwd and less than $1500. I had a few picked out, a subaru wagon with 4wd, a 4wd corolla (that sold before I could look at it), and a gold 1990 Volvo wagon (which also sold on me before I could look at it). Then I saw this one...and I ended up being able to see it that night. They were asking $800 which I thought was fair but it needed a lot of suspension work and brake pads. Not to mention it ran really rough. I offered $500 and they said sure, just get it out of here!

everything taken apart (valve cover leaked so bad it smoked)

Then I figured I may as well doa good job and paint the cover while Im at it. After all, a cheap mod is always appreciated.

a little elbow grease...

did a full tune up and ran 2 cans of seafoam through it and it runs 2000 times better, smooth idle and a lot more power. Very happy with the results.

Next a messed around a bit

cleaned her up a bit and waxed it quickly in the shade with a beer

I bought the car with the virgos and in the back were 2 steelies and I almost got rid of them.

Wanting some nicer wheels I decided to use the steelies and run the virgos in winter because I've started to **** them. Problem was I had almost no money. I went to the wrecker and bought 2 volvo steelies to match and found matching beauty rings and volvo hub caps with tires - $50. Then I bought some primer, paint and clearcoat - $20. My friend sand blasted them for me for free at his shop after hours. (Yes I got it for free but its not cheating on the budget because you too can make friends with good connections)

to this...

to this...

wheels + painted like so for $60.

color turned out funny but i assure you their dark red.

Interior is kinda messy/dirty for now; it was a $500 car...

Some parts I have laying around...

Sept 3rd 2010

Wellllll I woke up to a flat tire today...figured I may as well get the 14"s mounted instead of wasting what little money I have on fixing a tire I dont want to use anyway.

I picked all 4 of these tires up off kijiji for $20 with 10/32nds left on them using kijiji for the budget build ftw. Yes their winters...winter is coming...in spring I'll be buying white walls and over winter (hopefully) I can get to the air ride install.

I reaaaally need to invest in a better camera

Sept. 6th

Well I goto change my oil...and I cant get the filter off. I only tighten them by hand so it wasn't cranked on with a wrench...try a wrench to get it off...cant get the wrench on. Now im like wtf...sooo I look under it and it turns out both motor mounts gave way and my oil filter was the new motor mount lol. Ordered 2 mounts from Napa and threw on some Bob Dylan and went to town. Gonna do the tranny mount once it gets here. Apparently this is a common problem with these 3 mounts...

The motor had shifted and the oil filter was resting on the bottem rubber piece lol

Driver side...

new one

Then I cleaned the car a bit and snapped a pic

And then a can of seafoam...

also found this Subaru I might pick up for winter to keep the wagon clean and I'll be able to leave it on jack stands if I need to

$1200

Now I just have to wait for my pancake air tank and 2 valves from suicidedoors.com and I'll start on the rear...

Lolvo build thread.

Factory mounted gum dispenser ftw

This is still a serious build, but I'll be having fun with it - the way it should be.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

looks like a good build and lol at the gum dispenser.

Comment

You going to get euro headlights?
        sigpic

Comment

is your sig a photoshop or have you not posted all the pictures of the build? either way it looks awesome!
          my parents always had those wagons when i was younger

Comment

Sick man, keep going.
            Christof Goulart
            FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

love it, if you can make it look like your sig that would be awesome.

great wheels/color combo

Comment

dope! I cant believe that's where volvo decided to mount the radio.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

You should rock these, and slam it!

IG: pwwhite

Comment

this build is awsome so far, what does the little button on the shifter do?
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Gotta love a good budget build. Gotta do one some day

Is it just my iPhone or does that thing have immaculate paint still?

Comment

very cool so far...I love 240 wagons cant wait to see where you go with this

Comment

Build looks awesome man! I'm also a Volvo guy and love the was slammed wagons look, get it done and be one of a few Volvos on AIR!

-John

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                            this build is awsome so far, what does the little button on the shifter do?
                            im gonna guess its the lockout for reverse

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

button is for my 5th gear lol or overdrive :P not sure why they did that...

as for the paint, its in really good shape with a few spots on the doors that could be fixed up but whatever. $500 car, im not gonna be too worried about it. Im also on the look out for an efi set up so i can add a turbo and throw one on for super cheap but we'll see what I can find at the local wreckers.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X