Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eyes like what they are looking at.
    Originally posted by Oxer
    I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

im loving this. I had a 91 JEtta Coupe that was written off cause i had the infamous rot around the windshield. I should have fixed it.
      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
      he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

amazing work! attention to every single detail = win! love this built, cant wait to see this mk2 finished!

flickr

Comment

Thanks guys. Questions, comments, advice are always welcome.

In the midst of the build I picked up a MK3 rear beam off a friend. It uses the same brackets that the mk2 uses it will push out the width around half an inch on each side. Everything else is the same. The main difference is it uses 56mm dia bushings while the mk2 uses skinnier 44.5mm bushings.

VW decided to use an 8mm allen head on the carrier bolts. 3 out of 4 were stripped out before I got to them. I had to weld a nut onto the allen heads and turn them out.

Proportioning valve spring

The prop valve also uses long thin allen type bolts that have an acorn seat so they sit flush when they are tightened to the driver side beam braceket into some welded on nuts.
          As usual these were seized, heads broke off. I had to cut off the welded nuts on the bracket to take off the prop valve which probably stopped functioning like it should years ago.

This picture is going back in time but the beam and brackets were treated to a wire wheel to get the rust off the welds. It was covered in rust bullet and painted. You can also see the shifter box here.

The the beam was really the only thing I could use out of everything that came with it. I took apart the rear calipers and found the coating on the pistons was pretty pitted so a rebuild kit was useless. They're good for cores at least. Stub axles had deep scratches in them. It looked like the bearings grenaded in the past. Rotors were also trash.

The bushings were a real treat. Chances are if your mk2 or 3 has never had these changed out the rubber is just floating around in its metal sleeve. You have to make a relief cut in the sleeve to get them to budge.

Once the beam was painted and bare I threw in a bildon motor sport style torsion bar to keep it from twisting. I will never drill one out again.

Makeshift bearing press I made.

Almost there. You want the metal collar to extend 8mm past the socket. Spec is the same for mk2 and 3.
          91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

nice work..............you dont mess around!

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Wow awesome work, at first i was like nahhh that thing is to far gone, but obviously have the required mad skills to prove me wrong.

"I was too lazy to go to the dealer so I just fabbed up a steel one."

Comment

Haha thanks.
                  It kinda got out of control since it wasn't supposed to a full resto. I've had a few 'what the hell was I thinking?' moments.
                  Bolting things back on is the fun part

Edit: Added a few missing pics to their respective sections.
                  Last edited by renngolf; 01-10-2011, 12:24 AM.
                  91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Love where this is going!
                    Keep us updated, I wanna see how this turns out.
                    Volkswagen Jetta, MKiii (Daily)
                    BMW 320i, E21 (FOR SALE)

Comment

props for even starting on that rust bucket
                      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

REALLY great so far, keep up the good work!

Comment

Impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
                          Will design/build websites for wheels

Comment

very nice what you got going on here! gl

Comment

Great work! I love seeing projects like this. What are the plans for the engine, exterior and interior?

I had an mk2 which I traded for an old laptop. Wish I had the time and money to restore it. I ended up selling it.

Last edited by afioremk3; 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM.
                              Volkswagen Jetta 1.8t MKIV (Daily)

Comment

I had a question, how did shipping go for those oversea parts you ordered?
                                You are in the US right?

Comment

Working...
                                X