No announcement yet.

Bagged bunny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hit it with the flappy, weld in a little metal from the backside and leave it up to bodywork imho.

Comment

Spent some time today to clean all the surface rust around where the rain try was previously. It was soo hard to clean everything while remaining the curve. Thank you flappy disc

Also, what do i do with this deeply stained rust? I couldnt clean it anymore. Treat it, or cut it?

Comment

Your best bet would be to cut it out or you could put some fibreglass filler over it, then your normal filler.

The fibreglass will act like a barrier(Hopefully) against the rust, it will also help build up any low spots and use your filler just to finish off

Comment

So i got sick of waiting around for whenever my mate isnt using his gas bottle for me to take it. So i got my uncles one and filled it today. Also with pete's advice, i got .06 wire, which works alot better. Anyway, the golf had a roll cage and was bolted to the floor. So today i cut out tiny peices to fit the holes and i plugged them all up. My welding skills are a bit better then when i started haha. Ground down the welds and it turned out great !!

Also paid my rego today, god damn $641 apsolutely ripped my heart in two haha. Fuck there goes all my money haha

Comment

dang! doing work!
            sigpic

Comment

I wish I had something like this to work on. Great work.

Comment

I've been reading this dudes resto on his mk1 and have been looking at how he has shaved his engine bay and it has got me quite motivated. So today after work i got to work. Welded up tons of little holes, and bigger ones too. I made little plates and stuck them behind the hole and welded from the inside, if that makes sense?

Anyway plugged up one of the vent holes for the fan/heater system. The other one will be left there so i can re-circulate the heater. Im going to make a small bottle and hide it for the wind screen squirter thingo, and also hide the expansion tank for the radiotor somewhere as well. Anyone know if there is a way i can completely remove the heater and all pipes, and have another way of having a internal heater of some sort?

Very very novice welding skills haha, who cares as long as it works !

The red is increasing in the engine bay, i have to start body fillering soon, which will be a fucking headache hahaa

Thanks to my old man for giving me a hand after work today to start stripping the rest of the car !!

Comment

Alright so i finally stopped working on the orange golf, and had time for the swallowtail today. Felt like a productive day. Uncle borrowed the gas bottle (its hit bottle but my gas) and i got it back today. Last night i fab'd up some tabs for the wiring harness to re route. Ill put picks of that later. I made L shapes and welded them to the body, and drilled holes in the so that i can cable tie the wire loom on to. Should work great !

Here they are, with the crappy pic

And here im putting it to the test, looks cool 8-)

Also started with the heating system. Theres no chance in hell im spending $250 on a universal heater, and i love to be innovative and make shit work, so i started modding my heater today so that it doesnt pro-trude into the bay. Im going to get a smaller fan, probably from a motorbike and drop the whole heater box by a cm so that theres enough space for the fan to get air. Basically im only going to use it for heater, so re-circulating the air in the cabin will be fine.
                  However i really have noooo clue what to do with the de-mister yet, if anyone has some ideas please share. Heres the heater

Also grinded down the heater box hole, and made a cover up sheet for the hole. I think its 1.2mm which is pretty thick, but i got it for free, which otherwise is $60 something from bunnings, feck that. DIY FTW !!

Ive started welding in the sheet already, pics soon.

Comment

love it! going through very similar work with my BMW at the moment. Love MK1's. What is the difference in a "swallowtail"? Never heard of that before.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

This looks promising. Will be following

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                        love it! going through very similar work with my BMW at the moment. Love MK1's. What is the difference in a "swallowtail"? Never heard of that before.
                        Haha dude, to be honest im not sure on the EXACT details, like where its made and whats the difference, but i know people in europe go nuts for it haha. The most noticable thing you can tell it by is where the rear lights are at the back, there is a curve which curve down wards, if you look closely at one of my rear pics, youll notice it.

Comment

Haha I see, seems like they have very minute differences. Regardless, awesome build and props for bringing her back to life! I will definitely own a MK1 at some point in my life.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Yeah they're awesome cars !! This is the second ive owned. However im only 19 and i think i bitt off more than i can chew with this full restoration LOL, its so freakin hard !! Doesnt matter, i've learned a shit load of new skills coz im not scared to have a go at things.

If you need help or info with anything mk1 related let me know dude, by now i know these cars back to front inside out hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by georgeMK1 View Post
                              Yeah they're awesome cars !! This is the second ive owned. However im only 19 and i think i bitt off more than i can chew with this full restoration LOL, its so freakin hard !! Doesnt matter, i've learned a shit load of new skills coz im not scared to have a go at things.

If you need help or info with anything mk1 related let me know dude, by now i know these cars back to front inside out hahahaha
                              haha I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm 21 (not that my age really matters) and have my entire car taken apart and sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed but it just takes time to go through everything. Plus it's really fun to take everything apart and see how it all works, it's a great learning experience for me.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Congratulations for taking on this restoration - I am excited to see the results!

Comment

Working...
                                X