No announcement yet.

1969 simca 1118

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah the upper will have to be remade as well it seems. I have a stock pile of rod ends and there is an offroad shop in town that might sell a 5/8 fine thread tap for making tube ends. I'll call around tomorrow and see. In the meantime, I'm bondoing my molds for the t.b.'s and mixing up my greensand to make some initial casts. Wrestling with photobucket now. oh well, back to work!

Comment

You just have to build this

I'm also going to use this for my 16V simca (On RR forum ).

Then you can you use a coil over set instead of the leafsprings !

Comment

That Chevy looks so cool. Link for more pics of it?

The Simca is promising also, when it's done, it should be quite an eye-catcher. Good luck!

1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck Exclusive Edition // 1980 Vw Jetta Mk1 Coupe (1.9D swap) // Honda Civic HB Ej9 1998 // 1994 Vw Golf Mk3 Variant GTD // 1992 Opel Calibra

Comment

Details on your ITB setup for the smallblock!

Comment

subscribed

Comment

Here are some pics of my first pour. made some ingots out of old pistons and the old runners of the weber manifold I used for the chevy. It may not look like much progress, but hey!

Do this with real boots and a long-sleeve shirt

Comment

Originally posted by Rainer View Post
                That Chevy looks so cool. Link for more pics of it?

The Simca is promising also, when it's done, it should be quite an eye-catcher. Good luck!

forgive my style of thread writing(or lack thereof) im kinda all over the place. lol

Originally posted by 65Mustang View Post
                You just have to build this

I'm also going to use this for my 16V simca (On RR forum ).

Then you can you use a coil over set instead of the leafsprings !
                oh cool man! yeah I want to build that! got some thickwall tubing. REAL tubing(my friends always make fun of me because I usually use blackpipe from the harware store haha. not this time! made a new subframe for the a arms and steering to mount to:

so for the simca, I want a totally modern control system, but use old-school hardware and techniques. I plan to build an ITB setup, cast my own throttle bodies, intake, valve cover, and timing chain cover. I also have a small turbo from a subaru that I want to build a fully equal length, gas welded header for. I plan on having the tb's draw directly from a deck mounted intercooler. these rear engine simca have fairly big louvered sections that will duct strait into the intercooler. as i am mounting the rad in the front. I will use the other set of louvers for intake air.
                decklid:

Here are some Pictures!

the start of the manifold. everything upsized by 5/32 per foot

Fuel Injector register with registers for bolts to clamp a cap to the injector. I will run hard lines to the caps from a fuel block like an old f1 lucas mechanical system. Real Injection systems don't have those cheesy extruded ally fuel rails! haha

registers glued on.

Carriges glued on for the core mould to ride in. I got some sodium silicate that I will use to make co2 cured cores(so they are very strong but can be broken down with water after casting). this manifold will not be to radical, size wise, since I plan to make 100-150 hp. I will go from the standard port size to a 1.5" throttle plate.

Split in half for aranging in the cope and drag. I still need to get rid of a few undercuts but I hope to cast it after a little more practice.

I got some petrobond sand and did a cast of a head I made from clay to see what the detail was like.

the mould had tons of undercuts, but its promising!

Then I made a two piece mould for the throttle bodies.

And cast. I will show more pics of the cope and drag, gating, venting etc. if anyone wants.

I still need to work on my sprue work as there was some odd shrinkage that could have been avoided with a bit more hydrostatic pressure.

I machined some surfaces just to see how well it does. Really soft! I wonder if casting alloy (im guessing im using 356) ages? it sort of feels like lead, the way it cuts
                Anyway, small victories! And I'm marginally smarter than a bronze age foundryman! more soon I hope!

I worked more on the throttle bodies this weekend and think I have the technique down a bit better. this time I made a sand core for the center as I don't want to spend hours on the lathe hogging them out(and its good practice for the tapered sand cores for the manifold)
                first i made a core mould out of 2" sugar pine:

then I split it and put in a locator dowel:

then I painted it to seal the grain. next I mixed a small amount of sodium silicate and sifted play sand and rammed it into the mould. I don't know the mechanism, but sodium silicate sets up hard when introduced to c02, so i unplugged my regulator from my welding tank and pushed it into the small hole in the back of the core mould:

packed down. this is the oil based moulding sand. Its expensive but tons better than my mix of water based sand in terms of workability and detail. I don't know how the old-school guys do it!?!

I cut the gates and breathers into all the high points, set the cores in and cast it.

you can kinda see the core in there.

here you can see the core carriages that I added on that locates the core concentrically.

after some machining. the bore is still roughed out and the throttle shaft and bearing journals need to be cut. I will also cut an o-ring groove in the back. I also finished the manifold mould and cores and even cast one, but because of lack of sleep I put the flasks on backwards!!! looks like a salvador dali piece. good thing sand can be reused and the aluminum can be remelted. I didn't really like my core mould for it anyway so Ill try to build that better. More soon.

please if anyone has questions or comments just post up! I really want to start a dialog on casting aluminum as it seems its a lost art, at least in terms of a backyard hobby. everyone builds welded aluminum manifolds, or machines stuff out of billet, but there is something to be said for a nice cast piece. at least its cheaper than buying a cnc or TIG! lol

Comment

That thing is sweet, I also love the beetle and chevy haha
                  Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                  the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
                  Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

Originally posted by jacbo View Post
                    That definitely sounds like the way to go, especially with your fabrication abilities. It looks like the new UCA will have to be quite a shorter. If made adjustable it could serve as your camber adjustment.

This looks like a really fun project!
                    yeah the upper will have to be about 3"long!! I was thinking about a mcpherson arrangement as well.
                    I also found out this thing has 98mm wheel bolt pattern and my wheels are 100mm. wut..

also, nearly all of the external engine bolts are m7's which aren't to be found at any of my bolt suppliers.
                    the french always just HAVE to be different. lol

i want to run 165/50/15's but they are on back order from where I buy and I would rather spend money elsewhere at the moment.

it may end up if i find a parts miata for a good price (<300 bones) I will ravish all of its spindles, suspension and brakes, that way I'd have disks all around and the right bolt pattern, but it would be also neat to see if I could soup up the oem stuff because I've heard the stock drums are not terrible on these.
                    I need to do MATlab homework now, gahhhh............................................ ................after I order some supplies and parts!

Comment

I'm thinking air suspension too....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRx9Qf7kboc&feature=related"]My old bagged Squareback - YouTube[/ame]
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xus07L0MpJk&feature=related"]Squareback - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Every time I look at this, I'm astounded by your craftsmanship and knowledge. Excellent work!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Craftsmanship Win!

Comment

damn, awesome build!
                            Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                              Every time I look at this, I'm astounded by your craftsmanship and knowledge. Excellent work!

x2! I love the project and where you are going with this man! Definitely subscribed and I look forward to updates.
                              sigpic
                              GARAGE | THE PROFESSOR

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                                Originally posted by crf1877 View Post
                                Craftsmanship Win!
                                Originally posted by PoLonY View Post
                                damn, awesome build!
                                Originally posted by Curt_pnw View Post
                                x2! I love the project and where you are going with this man! Definitely subscribed and I look forward to updates.
                                Thanks guys. just ordered a whole lot of hardware for the throttle bodies(brass plate for throttle blades, countersunk machine screws etc) and some more sand because I don't have enough to cast that monster valve cover.

got my first round of tests next week, so next weekend, I WILL pour the manifold right

Comment

Working...
                                X