In search of stance: my 99 grand prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of stance: my 99 grand prix

Hey guys, my name is David and I own a '99 pontiac grand prix. Its my first car and we've been through quite a bit (though mostly repairs) but its a never ending work in progress and I thought i'd get a build thread going for it. I hope you enjoy reading!

Here's how it looked when I got it, ready for some offroading with that ride height haha

First on the list was a new head unit and and sound system. I had never even heard of a sub until I got a car, but the stock cd player was broken along with 3 of the 4 door speakers. I got Infinity kappas front and back and my uncle's friend got me a deal on a sub and amp. Now I can't imagine ever having a car without good sound.

I didn't like the messy box in trunk look with wires everywhere so i cleaned it up with this plywood pannel and carpeted it.

I joined a few pontiac forums and got a few ideas for some cheap first mods. I got a cai and installed it, but i forgot to take pictures of it on my car. This stayed on for a while until...

My engine spun a bearing. To this very day, my mom swears it was the intake's fault.
    So after some messing around and desperately trying to get the supercharged version from the junkyard, my parents insisted that a friend of a friend rebuild the internals because we would be able to get a warranty so I remained N/A. But I was very happy to have a practically new engine.

I was still looking for some cheap things to make it stand out a bit. Sooo... I got some fresh tires, and after a few weeks, a paint marker

I liked how it looked and I think it suits the car okay, and its definitely inexpensive haha. I decided to fill in the letters, but went to outlined letters.

Next up my for a birthday present from my parents, I got some tint installed. 15% all around

Over on the pontiac forums, its pretty common to see people rolling on mustang rims. They're absolutely everywhere on craigslist so I gave it a shot

I also did a debadge because grand prix gt are really long and silly looking badges

17x8 +30. They fit pretty good compared to my stock wheels, but I wasn't happy with them and sold them. And they were suppppper heavy

These cars have a real bad tendency for the tail lights to become delaminated and then water gets in between the plastic layers and it just sucks and looks terrible. Plus in the winter, the water freezes and cracks the plastic I fixed this by drilling a few tiny drain holes at the bottom and tinted them to hide the ugly. I taped over the reflector to keep it classy and avoid the murdered out look.

before

after

I just rolled around on my stock wheels like this for a while craving to go low

Now the fun starts haha. I had been saving up for some kind of suspension and I really didn't like the idea of anything except coils, i didn't see the point in anything else. It was a really slow process saving up, but one night on the way home from a hurricanes game I got rear-ended and the insurance money put me right at what i needed for some coils

damage on my bumper. her car was pretty messed up, but the pontiac is a tank

Coils for this car are veryyy limited. these are basically struts with the spring perch cut off and converted into coils. I probably could have made some, but I was willing to pay for the much better top mounts that came with these. The have KYB AGX inserts with 4 levels of dampening and #400 front springs and #300 rear springs.

My purchase

Installed the fronts

and the backs

And here's how it currently sits. The stock suspension was like riding on sticks of butter, this is so much better and rides great. I occasionally hit the bump stops but theres some room for the adjusters to wind down more

Im still rolling on stock wheels super sunk in, but not for long

My newest purchase

18 x direct tv remoteJ

XXR 530 18x8.75 +20
    Toyo Extensa HP 225/40/18

I had tonsil surgery this past monday so I'm waiting to recover so I can get these mounted
    Last edited by bakerdd; 05-26-2012, 05:35 PM.

damn.. never thought i would see this. lol more slammage and those wheels and it should look great. great job on being different!

Comment

Interesting!
      sigpic

Comment

I want to see those wheels on, +1 for being different

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
        Originally posted by nickskater09
        I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

This should be nice.would have been awesome to get the super charged motor...any ways good work so far

Comment

Cool! always wanted to see one of these done right.

Comment

I still don't understand why people insist on tinting their windows so dark.

What shop in NC inspects you car again?.....

Comment

i've always wanted to see a slammed grand prix

good job so far!!!

Comment

thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Low Life View Post
                  I still don't understand why people insist on tinting their windows so dark.

What shop in NC inspects you car again?.....
                  I've been considering taking it off lately and getting 35%, its pretty dark at night sometimes and it is a pain to get it inspected. But I got my car inspected a day before install so i've only had to find a shop once in 2 years

Comment

I've always thought these GT/GTPs were very sharp cars, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

No tint gaaaah, especially the tailights caplocks

Comment

I like your car dude! My buddy has a 2000 gtp supercharged but red. I have a pontiac too and i like the wheels you just got. Can't wait to see it

Comment

I like! My buddy jake's gf is going to love this build.

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

I used to have a 98 GTP, back when I thought the car was fast. Sold that for my old wrx..

Keep going I always liked them

Comment

Poor
                              Ol'
                              Nigga
                              Thinks
                              It's
                              A
                              Cadillac

All jokes aside. Clean drop ! get them wheels fitted. You're on the right path my friend.
                              C280 Build Thread
                              C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                              E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Working...
                              X