Back in another bimmer - e21 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in another bimmer - e21 build

So I had an e30 last year which I sold (stupidly) and got another Integra. After searching for the right e21, e30 or mk1 I had just about given up but then Thursday I out of no where found one. Figured I'd introduce the car and also have a little update/build thread. If this is the wrong forum just lmk.

the old e30.

Now to the new e21.

Vehicle Info
    Car's Name:
    Year: 1983
    Make: BMW
    Model: 320i
    Chasis: e21
    Generation: 1st Gen 3 series
    Color: Baltic Blue
    Purchase Date: 5/31/2012
    Purchase Location: St Joseph, MO

Drivetrain
    Engine Code:
    Displacement (liters):
    Compression Ratio:
    Wheel Horsepower:
    Transmission:
    Clutch:
    Power Adders:
    Intake:
    Other Engine Mods:
    Chip/ECU:

Suspension
    Struts/Shocks:
    Drop / FTG:
    Spring Type/Rate:
    Sway Bars: OEM
    Other Suspension Mods:
    New Lower Control Arms

Interior
    Seating: OEM E21 Grey Cloth Recaros
    Headliner:
    Pedals:
    Safety Mods:
    Dash/Console:
    Stereo:
    – Deck
    – Speakers: Polk Audio
    – Amp(s):
    – Players:
    Other Interior Mods:
    E12 Window Cranks
    Swapped Black Door Cards
    E28 Center Console
    Momo E21 Hub
    Momo Woodgrain Wheel
    Hartge Woodgrain Knob
    Early E21 Accordian Shift Boot
    OEM Black Floor Mats

Exhaust
    Brand/Type:
    Downpipe:
    Catalytic Converter:
    Pipe Diameter:
    Resonator:
    Muffler:
    Tips:

Exterior
    Front End:
    Profile:
    Roof:
    Boot/Hatch:
    Antenna: Deleted
    Lighting:
    Wheels:
    – offset:
    – spacers/adapters:
    – Tires:
    Body Kit:
    Shaved Parts:
    Other Body Mods:
    E12 Chrome Door Handles
    Replaced Tailight Lenses
    Front Bumper Tucked
    Rear Sidemarker Lenses Replaced

Soapbox
    Personality: Classy and Clean
    Zip Ties: 0
    Junk in the Trunk: Zero.. oh a 70's skateboard and new front shocks lol
    Previous Owner:
    Other cool stuff: My Simply Clean Air freshener
    What do you love most: The feel of an old bimmer gives you when driving it
    Future Plans: So much. Drop, Wheels, and Semi restore. Keeping it period correct as possible

1983 320i 216k

Runs and Drives pretty well, and is in pretty good condition considering its from Missouri and most everything is full of rust.

Only issues I've noticed so far is a oil leak (small one), starts getting warm after sitting at an idle for awhile (if its like an e30 I'm thinking fan clutch) and it has this weird issue with starting, sometimes it fires right up and other times it cranks for awhile... all of that will be getting checked out shortly though.

e30's have been bringing a ton around here so finding this one for what I got it for was surprising to me and I've been happy with it so far (plus I love driving it).

That was all about a week ago, Just had a latch break so I went to the yard for one plus some other goodies. So far I'm just replacing small stuff before I worry about a drop and wheels. Overall goal is to get it road ready to make the 15 hour drive to sowo next year as this year was my first time and had a blast but no car to take.

My take from my recent trip to the yard (car was pretty much all trashed sadly)

Last edited by 99sil-teg; 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM.
    My '66 C10 Build
    My BMW 2002 Build

Nice pickup Looking forward to progress.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

So far it's been just fixing stuff so nothing exciting yet.

Replaced the door latch and adjusted the door on Monday since it didn't line up due to the adjustments the PO made. Also pulled the wheels to have tires put on them. Ordered some new hoses and o rings yesterday and ordering a half shaft after work today. Also will be replacing the grill and kidneys soon since mine are cracked and I found replacements. Just trying to decide if I want to stick with chrome kidneys or paint em black.
      My '66 C10 Build
      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

love e21's. mine had the exact same problem with idling hot and not always wanting to start. it always did it when it was already warm. never figured out what it was. looking forward to progress. sub'd.

Comment

So I got a new shift knob, used oem wood one. Very pumped to get my hands on one. Also bought a couple other small things that will probably be here next week. Still waiting on o-rings to show up and probably flush the radiator this weekend as well.

My '66 C10 Build
          My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Got my shift knob installed today, love how it looks but I need to mess with the shift boot to make it look a little better.

Then I replaced the grills, kidneys, and washed the inside and outside of the turn signal lenses. Might end up going back to chrome once I find one in good shape. Here is a before and after.

Next up is a front bumper tuck and fixing the hood soon. Also going to rebuild the shifter soon and might go with a Z3 shifter.
            My '66 C10 Build
            My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

cool, looks like you're going to take good care of it. I think the chrome kidneys looked better, but it looks good either way. In for more progress

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                cool, looks like you're going to take good care of it. I think the chrome kidneys looked better, but it looks good either way. In for more progress
                Yeah the more I see pics the more I agree lol, I had two sets of kidneys but both were in poor shape in person so I'll probably track down a nice pair and put chrome back on. Its a slow build since my wife and I are in the middle of selling our current house to buy another so I'm just worried about making it nice and doing some maintenance.
                My '66 C10 Build
                My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

What will your diving board solution be?

Comment

Originally posted by yurotrash View Post
                    What will your diving board solution be?
                    Temporary will be doing a tuck on the front and trimming the trim and I don't know if I'll tuck the back yet. Eventually I'll be doing euro bumpers but since those are 600+, wheels and a drop will be coming before I start looking for those. I don't really mind tucked DB's or I might remove the front one for a bit to see how it looks but I doubt I'll keep it that way. Another option is a front valance that eliminates the front bumper... I haven't gotten that far yet so I haven't finalized my plans for that yet.
                    My '66 C10 Build
                    My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

So sold my other car today so the e21 will be going to daily duty now which also means I'll be playing with it more.

So today I got some e12 goodies for the e21. Chrome handles and chrome cranks as I'm giving this car a more classic or old car feel I've decided. Also picked up a Grant GT Wood Grain wheel which I know its not a Nardi but its way cheaper haha. Now just gotta get a hub.

I've also been looking at the front end of my car and I'm starting to lean pretty heavily towards a single headlight set up even though the dual headlights is a classic styling cue of the 3 series. Thoughts?
                      My '66 C10 Build
                      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Do single lights ;D
                        yeeeee!!

Comment

nice start

Comment

Sooooo I've been slacking lol. New to the car is a Momo woodgrain wheel, Momo hub, momo BMW horn(not pictured) and Hartge wood knob. Also have a parts car coming soon so might have some Sport goodies coming like full black interior and some other small things.

My '66 C10 Build
                            My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Looks good.. I remember wanting your e30 when I saw it om KCH2o

Comment

Working...
                              X