Lowering a Cressida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering a Cressida

So I've been a member for a while, and I've been lurking for a bit, but I'm now finally gonna get into posting. I just bought a 1985 Toyota Cressida wagon and I'm looking for more low on a budget, without killing my ride. I've cut springs before but I don't want to do that again, so I'm looking at my options and wanna see what you guys may have experience with.

From what I've seen, my best options are Megan coilovers (get 4 for the price of 2 T3 coilovers), or Tein S14 loweing springs with Camaro shocks, which I've seen used effectively on the forums.

Do you guys have any experience or advice? Btw, I'm picking up the car wednesday on my day off and I'll have pics then.

Thanks in advance guys.

Originally posted by Don Fehlio View Post
    So I've been a member for a while, and I've been lurking for a bit, but I'm now finally gonna get into posting. I just bought a 1985 Toyota Cressida wagon and I'm looking for more low on a budget, without killing my ride. I've cut springs before but I don't want to do that again, so I'm looking at my options and wanna see what you guys may have experience with.

From what I've seen, my best options are Megan coilovers (get 4 for the price of 2 T3 coilovers), or Tein S14 loweing springs with Camaro shocks, which I've seen used effectively on the forums.

Do you guys have any experience or advice? Btw, I'm picking up the car wednesday on my day off and I'll have pics then.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Pictures of said car?
    Instagram @wickedweiss

Fix your sig pic size cunt. <3 Ox.

Comment

serial 9 is the only coil id run on a cressi.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
        serial 9 is the only coil id run on a cressi.
        S9 coils can only be used for the front in this case...
        Instagram @wickedweiss

Fix your sig pic size cunt. <3 Ox.

Comment

I'm picking up the car Wednesday pending a smog test and pumping out all the old gas, and I'll have pictures then. But it looks exactly like this one, color, wheels and all.

Comment

Is it a wagon, or a sedan? You can't exactly go the Camaro shock route out back with a wagon, as they're all solid-axle cars. Then again, I don't know much about the solid rear on these.

I had the S14 lowering springs on my Cress up front before I went with T3 coils for a Corolla up front. Out back I had Camaro Konis, with a T3 coil-over sleeve kit for a Corolla, and the stock rear springs cut in half in their original location.

I tucked 14"s, and scraped everywhere. It was too awesome.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Originally posted by Daviticus View Post
              Is it a wagon, or a sedan? You can't exactly go the Camaro shock route out back with a wagon, as they're all solid-axle cars. Then again, I don't know much about the solid rear on these.

I had the S14 lowering springs on my Cress up front before I went with T3 coils for a Corolla up front. Out back I had Camaro Konis, with a T3 coil-over sleeve kit for a Corolla, and the stock rear springs cut in half in their original location.

I tucked 14"s, and scraped everywhere. It was too awesome.
              I have a wagon, which I was unaware had a completely different setup in the rear; I assumed it just had different springs to compensate for the extra weight. Did you have a sedan or wagon?

Do you know any place that would know more about the wagons?

Comment

I had a sedan with the IRS. From what I understand, the two interchange somehow, though I'm not sure at all.

The only guy I've ever spoken to about solid-axle Cressidas was Taka Aono, and even then that was a few years ago, so my memory is fuzzy. Here's his Cressy wagon:

Who says station wagons can&#8217;t be cool? Taka Aono&#8217;s MX72 Toyota Cressida station wagon is definitely proof that even station wagons have &#8220;cool car potential&#8221; if they&#8217;re done up right. Here&#8217;s the side view of Taka&#8217;s street driven MX72 Cressida. It is painted 350Z blue metallic, with gold pearl, thanks to US Earth Custom Coach, &#8230;

He mentions Driftpro coilovers at both ends ... I haven't ever heard of them, and a Google search pulls up nothing Cressida-related for me.

I understand the wagons use a 4-link rear suspension design with a panhard rod. I've never seen one in person, so I can't speak on how easy it is to modify.
                - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

'85 Toyota Cressida Wagon Suspension

I own an '85 Cressida wagon as well. Just like you, I was very picky about the suspension setup on my car. You hear everyone with Cressida's just cutting their springs. Not awesome.
                  I also wasn't too thrilled at the idea of mixing and matching parts. I'd like to think the route I went was best:

For the front, I went with Megan Racing coilovers w/ T3 RCA's
                  - Front end for wagon and sedan are the same

For the rear, I also went with Megan Racing. It's a spring shock/strut setup. Everything bolted right up. When I contacted Megan, it seems they already had a kit for the Wagons'. I also added a T3 Pan Hard Bar for added support.

The cost (Megan parts) wasn't too much more versus the sedan, which was nice. So far, it's the best investment Ive made. Front & Back is super stiff and rides smooth on the highway. I have my wagon on 15's and just about slammed and it feels like I'm riding on air.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOdle View Post
                    For the rear, I also went with Megan Racing. It's a spring shock/strut setup. Everything bolted right up. When I contacted Megan, it seems they already had a kit for the Wagons'. I also added a T3 Pan Hard Bar for added support.

I contacted Megan Racing about trying to adapt their AE86 rear setup to my X7 wagon and they didn't mention that they already had a wagon kit. Do you happen to have a part number or anything like that? I want to lower my wagon, but REALLY don't want to do the whole "cut springs" thing.
                    @thedailydownshift

Comment

Ask Mr Shakotan on here he had the lowest wagon Ive seen yet. He had mostly all T3 parts I think
                      My job is to kill any troll that breaks out of its territory

Comment

MR2 FTW you seem to have posted in this particular forum. But anywho No need to ask just look here------> http://cressidaforums.forumotion.com...ammed-x7-wagon
                        My job is to kill any troll that breaks out of its territory

Comment

Originally posted by MR2_FTW View Post
                          I contacted Megan Racing about trying to adapt their AE86 rear setup to my X7 wagon and they didn't mention that they already had a wagon kit. Do you happen to have a part number or anything like that? I want to lower my wagon, but REALLY don't want to do the whole "cut springs" thing.
                          I feel the same way about the whole cut springs thing; Seems sketchy. I don't have a part number, sorry, man. What I'll do is take a pic of my rear suspension setup. Hopefully that will answer some questions you guys may have.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X