X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
    stance is like my penis, looks really hard, doesnt perform very well

Comment

For me it's all about the lowest possible fender gap (max. 1 finger thick is acceptable in most cases) with the wheels flowing very well with the shape of the car, or the car's fenders as it may be.

For me it's very important how the wheels flow with the car's fenders.

1. Fenders that flare outwards and have a "lip" that goes almost straight down. I like flush wheels with mild stretch the best (example: E36, E30)

2. Fenders that flare smoothly outwards with no or very little lip. I like it when the wheel pokes a bit (not too much though!) and the stretch continues the flow of the fender.

3. Fenders that go straight down. Here, tuck is best, imo. Depending on the car, flush may also look very good.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

This ^^ but with a comob of 1 and 2 too.

Mk IV's are a good example of what I'm on about.

Last edited by Chris.; 01-06-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Good stuff fellas, I think it's the magic that happens when you combine all of the items or factors mentioned above and you throw it all together and each factor complements the others to work together as one...I like how someone mentioned earlier that it differs from ride to ride.

...however you define it, I'll admit it gets me all hot n' bothered

Comment

Stance to me is all about how it sits. I have seen lifted trucks that sit just right, I have also seen cars and trucks tuck half the wheel into the fender that made my jaw drop. I have also seen 32 ford coupes with no fenders with great stance. To me all of these are examples of good stance. But this is just my humble opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by Rally View Post
              Flush isn't a requirement of stance...end of story. It's a genre of stance that just happens to be made popular recently by the hellaflush/jdm crowd.
              Yeah, check those facts just a little bit.
              Last edited by FreshLikeSushi; 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM.
              Disclaimer:
              I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
                For me it's all about the lowest possible fender gap (max. 1 finger thick is acceptable in most cases) with the wheels flowing very well with the shape of the car, or the car's fenders as it may be.

For me it's very important how the wheels flow with the car's fenders.

1. Fenders that flare outwards and have a "lip" that goes almost straight down. I like flush wheels with mild stretch the best (example: E36, E30)

2. Fenders that flare smoothly outwards with no or very little lip. I like it when the wheel pokes a bit (not too much though!) and the stretch continues the flow of the fender.

3. Fenders that go straight down. Here, tuck is best, imo. Depending on the car, flush may also look very good.
                Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                no.

Poke is not a fad, It dates back to german TUV laws along time ago in germany. This isnt just people pushing there wheels out in the past 3 or 4 years.

You may prefer flushness, as do i, but that doesnt make one stance and the other not.
                you are right. I just prefer not to buckle my fenders if i hit a bump, and tuck 18s while still fush through travel. im cool with that. But im just wondering why you guys poke, when there isnt a reason to. I mean, i can hang a tire 3 inches outside of my van and be slammed. but that doesnt mean im "pushing" offsets. it means im putting too big of a wheel on a car.
                this isnt to start drama, seriously. im just trying to understand it.
                1 ftw
                Last edited by FreshLikeSushi; 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM.
                Disclaimer:
                I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

It comes to an extremely brief answer of: It's a style. Much like "flush" is style, stretch and "poke" is a style.
                  Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                  if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
                  Originally posted by Jedidiah
                  he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by extol1337 View Post
                    It comes to an extremely brief answer of: It's a style. Much like "flush" is style, stretch and "poke" is a style.
                    +1

If youre so practical minded, why be this low? Or hell, why even me flush? stock height and tucked is much more practical. Its just the style

Edit: im not trying to come off as a douche, its just the truth. Pretty much all styles of aggressive fitment are impractical. If they werent, im sure all cars would be beefier
                    Last edited by Stephen; 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
                      But im just wondering why you guys poke, when there isnt a reason to.
                      It doesn't have any less "reason" than running a flush setup. There isn't any "reason" to run flush other than aesthetic value and the same holds true for poking. It's a look that some owners love. That's sorta the whole "reason" for the stance thing isn't it? To look good and have a tight fitment

I've run poke for a few years now and never buckled or damaged an arch. That's what stretched tires and camber are for.

Comment

There is tons of reason to run Flush
                        Being able to go lower than you poke guys, with bigger wheels.

Tight fitment, doesnt include 3 inches of wheel outside of the fenderwell.
                        I get the style. thats cool. but is there a technical reason behind it?

Like flush, well not even flush, but good fitting wheels. They fit well because they dont hit anything. Being aggressive, and pushing offsets as someone said above, is done while still maintaining full travel of the wheel. If i wanted to run 16" wheels when i should be running 18s, sure i could poke, since my frame would hit before my tire touches the fender.

But some guys arent near low enough for that to happen, so im just seriously inquiring as to the history etc of it. Was it some awesome race legend that started it? Or what rule was it used to skirt in germany as one said above.

Im attempting to encourage some friendly debate among the camps, so maybe everyone can learn a little in the process. this isnt just to ruffle feathers
                        Disclaimer:

Comment

I was under the understanding that the whole stretched tire thing started overseas where people wanted to run wider wheels, but there's laws against tire tread sticking out past fenders sooo stretch.

Comment

Poke is from the laws in Europe about their tires sticking out their fenders. People wanted to run wider wheels but kept near stock tire sizes and just stretched them while putting them on 2"+ wider wheels.

From a race perspective, wider wheels with stretch (commonly attributed with drifting), would constitute stiffer sidewalls from the stretch and increased section width, but decreased overall contact patch to "lose" traction easier for "drifting."
                            if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.

Comment

but drifters dont poke, they flush.

im trying to find out where POKE came from.
                              The flush/w strech came from japan with the VIP cars in the 80s wanting to run wider wheels adn lower offsets. plus to be flush you kinda have to strech a tire.
                              Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
                                but drifters dont poke, they flush.

im trying to find out where POKE came from.
                                The flush/w strech came from japan with the VIP cars in the 80s wanting to run wider wheels adn lower offsets. plus to be flush you kinda have to strech a tire.
                                Right. I kind of jumbled that in there, but poke is from Europe from the laws. Over here in the states, you first see "poke" from the hydro'd low-riders. You mix and match, flush, stretch, low-rider poke, laws, and a whole other bunch of influences and you see the common "stretch and poke" from here and Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X