The Notorious Rat Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Notorious Rat Rod

Well, I was waiting until we had a little more progress to post this thread, but it is what it is. I'm getting too excited not to show it off a little.

The vision was from our owner/tuner/fabricator John Lee. We work at a small shop that builds mostly Corvette's, but really anything LS based. We do swaps, builds, yada yada. John and our one technician Josh have built 1000 horsepower (to the wheels) street cars in a 1500 sq. ft shop. We have just recently been lucky enough to score us a 5000 sq. ft shop and business has been slowly growing. John Lee thinks in ways that a lot of us (myself at the top of this list) don't understand. He sees options and possibilities in a completely different way. And when he wanted to build a car that represented the shop, he already had an idea.

He's owned this once stock BMW 2002 for years and years, back even into high school in fact. During a slow winter at the shop, he pulled in the fully running and driving 2002, a car some people would love to own, and busted out the plasma cutter. He laid down some sharpie and tape on the floor, and began to make the frame from scrap square tubing we had.

After a few weeks, the frame was built. The entire car follows true Rat Rod heritadge, being built out of anything and everything. The coilovers? From a C5 Corvette. The steering rack? From a Cobalt SS. The control arms? From a Panoz race car. Parts from random GM cars and things he had laying around began to now serve purpose for this evil looking car that was taking shape.

The body is chopped in nearly every aspect. Width, height, length and so forth. It's right hand drive to accommodate a problem ran into with the Cobalt steering rack. The shifter is mounted on the ceiling to keep the ergonomic Hurst handle correct (And for the "lolwut" factor). Of course, the power plant is a thrown together LS1 with a mild cam that we've just assembled. The wheels are mismatched wheels we've had in storage with a set of IROC wheels mounted backwards to clear the rear. The final wheel selection is still being discussed. Progress is slow, especially with the growing busyness of the shop, but when we do get to work, John does work.

Anyway, I thought I would show the folks of StanceWorks his build so far. He probably wouldn't want me posting it yet, since it's not near completion. It's not only going to be promotion to show the fabrication our shop can do, but also for John to drive and enjoy.

We feel notoriety isn't bought, it's made. I'm sure most of y'all can agree. Look out for more (albeit slow) updates.

03' Lightning w/ Bolt-Ons | KLR 650 | Duece.

Originally posted by willis
    This is Stanceworks, champ. Get with it.

This should be good

Cole

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
    yeah it's got turbo and it looks decent stanced, but it's a fucking Neon, the survived-abortion of the 90's auto industry.

Comment

when i saw the first picture with the slicks out back i got worried that it was going to be turned into a drag car. but after that it just kept getting better and better. this will definitely be interest to see how this all turns out, keep up the good work.
      ///M 2.0
      G60 POWAR... never forget

Comment

subscribed to this, should give lots of satisfaction in the end

Comment

Mother of god this is amazing!
          | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

win

Comment

Do want!

IG: PavelKostyurin

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Still trying to decide on wheels. I think some X5 wheels would look pretty fire, but we'd have to change up the hub to a BMW bolt pattern unit.

Originally posted by Jersh View Post
                when i saw the first picture with the slicks out back i got worried that it was going to be turned into a drag car. but after that it just kept getting better and better. this will definitely be interest to see how this all turns out, keep up the good work.
                The car has had about 10 different sets of wheels on it. But no, the car will not be for any sort of drag purpose. With the coilover front suspension and the custom built 4 link out back, it should be able to handle pretty well. And get 30 mpg's.

Comment

this is unreal
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Amazing fabrication! Absolutely jealous of the necessary skills... oh how I wish I could do stuff like this too.

Though, I not too sure what this is supposed to be in the end. Am I understanding it right, that it's basically going to be a rat rod with a BMW shell, so it's going to visually stay as it is? Looks a bit weird imho with the rear wheels past the fenders like that. Or are you guys going to build some fenders for the rear??

I bet it's gonna be a hoot to drive once it's done!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
                      Amazing fabrication! Absolutely jealous of the necessary skills... oh how I wish I could do stuff like this too.

Though, I not too sure what this is supposed to be in the end. Am I understanding it right, that it's basically going to be a rat rod with a BMW shell, so it's going to visually stay as it is? Looks a bit weird imho with the rear wheels past the fenders like that. Or are you guys going to build some fenders for the rear??

I bet it's gonna be a hoot to drive once it's done!
                      There won't be any fenders, but whatever wheels we decide on will be much closer to the stock body. Like a lot of rods, we decided to go fenderless. Keep in mind, the current rear wheels are stock IROC wheels mounted backwards to fit.
                      Last edited by Repiks; 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

So Sick

Comment

Comment

sub-scribed!

Originally posted by Jersh
                            RT changes lives.

Comment

Not bad. Quite cool actually. Not sure how I feel about the aesthetic of it but it's rad nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X