1984 Mercedes 500SEL Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Mercedes 500SEL Euro

Well it all started a couple weeks ago, I was decently drunk at my computer at about 1am on a weeknight. I thought "I wonder what kind of old Mercedes are around right now, and I wonder what I can get for under $2k." Sure enough, one of the first cars I find on craigslist is this one. I talked to the PO and learned the car's story, and figured it would be worth the plunge. It was from Duluth, a city in Northern MN, so I was getting ready to figure out how to pick it up. Turns out the PO also owns a tow company and trailered it to my work the following Friday without batting an eye. It was awesome.

Here are the pics when it showed up:

So I ended up driving it straight to the shop, in the rain. I found out the hard way that the wiper arms were broken and in the trunk. The mechanical issues I noticed right away were

- Rough idle + hesitation at take off, as described by PO
    - Very loose control arm or similar front suspension part
    - 10 year old tires
    - Front end needs a drop ^_^

So for the past couple weeks, it's been at my go-to deep discount shop (Firestone) getting looked over whenever they have the time. They adjusted the TB valve and stitched the vacuum lines back together, but told me they're done looking at the engine after dealing with that job. This week they'll finish up the control arm issue and brake inspection, and I'll drive it to the body shop. As far as cosmetic/exterior problems, it's pretty clean so I'd like to address the body right away too. This will all be done before summer:

- The car has a US front bumper now, I ordered a Euro set that will need paint.
    - The AMG spoiler on the trunk has some weird damage that I'd like to take care of. Also the '560SEL' badge on the trunk is wrong for the car, so I'll have to take that off and repaint the trunk along with that.
    - Right front fender has a rusty gouge. Same thing with the left quarter panel by the tail light. Both are minor, but hey, the car is black so why not fix them!
    - It will also be PDRed at some point during paint/buffing

It has plenty of early maintenance history, which is good..

Updates coming soon!
    Last edited by hi its me alec; 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM.
    4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

This car is enormous holy crap. Looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by jrcanes55 View Post
      This car is enormous holy crap. Looks good though.
      haha, I know, it's great. It has functional power reclining back seats.

Keep in mind that the wheels on it are 16s, not typical of a modern car this big. It rides amazing on the freeway though.
      4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

where in MN are you at?

Comment

Originally posted by Bystrov View Post
          where in MN are you at?
          Minneapolis, Lake Calhoun. Know the place then, I assume?
          4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

im currently in the apple valley burnsville metro area

Comment

Originally posted by Bystrov View Post
              im currently in the apple valley burnsville metro area
              Ah, cool, maybe 20 minutes away from me. Sorry the weather isn't very Floridian right now
              4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

I'll swap you headlights. Lol, I've always wanted a set like those.

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
                haha, I know, it's great. It has functional power reclining back seats.

Keep in mind that the wheels on it are 16s, not typical of a modern car this big. It rides amazing on the freeway though.

I wanna pick those up, apparently they fit in the SEs too.
                Last edited by RubbderDucky; 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RubbderDucky View Post
                  I'll swap you headlights. Lol, I've always wanted a set like those.

I wanna pick those up, apparently they fit in the SEs too.

Hah, yeah I've always wanted them too, best possible look IMO. The yellow inner fogs really suit the car, and I usually don't think that about yellow lights. I got lucky with the euroness of this car, but I suppose I wouldn't have gone after it otherwise.

Nice, I know you'd also want a LWB rear deck to do that. It has a little hinged cover that pleasantly fills the void of the reclined seats when they're all the way down.

I think it's insane that some of these even had heated rears too, but I think I'm going to dedicate this to being a summer car only, so I guess I'll save that effort for restoring the AC at some point. I almost want a rusty W126 winter beater now just so I can rock heated front and rear seats.
                  4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

So cool! I want to buy a car recently, can you give me some suggections

Comment

Ah, cool, maybe 20 minutes away from me. Sorry the weather isn't very Floridian right now
                      its all good, going snow mobiling in a few days.... hopefully that will make up for it

Comment

Nice pick up,

All those vacuum lines would just make my brain melt, lol

In for updates.

Comment

Hah, yeah I've always wanted them too, best possible look IMO. The yellow inner fogs really suit the car, and I usually don't think that about yellow lights. I got lucky with the euroness of this car, but I suppose I wouldn't have gone after it otherwise.

Nice, I know you'd also want a LWB rear deck to do that. It has a little hinged cover that pleasantly fills the void of the reclined seats when they're all the way down.

I think it's insane that some of these even had heated rears too, but I think I'm going to dedicate this to being a summer car only, so I guess I'll save that effort for restoring the AC at some point. I almost want a rusty W126 winter beater now just so I can rock heated front and rear seats.
                          Haha, I'm telling you dude, I'm gonna find a high optioned 560SEL that's a rust bucket for its luxury options, I want headed front and rear seats and all the "VIP" stuff. I feel left out kinda with a SE, mine is actually really basic for what it is. My rear windows aren't even power.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                          And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RubbderDucky View Post
                            Haha, I'm telling you dude, I'm gonna find a high optioned 560SEL that's a rust bucket for its luxury options, I want headed front and rear seats and all the "VIP" stuff. I feel left out kinda with a SE, mine is actually really basic for what it is. My rear windows aren't even power.
                            But you have a 500SE which is super rare to find in the states, and you have the AMG body kit which is also hard to find, and you have pentas which you guessed it are hard to find. Don't ditch your car for a highly optioned 560SEL, there's millions of those.
                            1981 300TD 4 speed
                            2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                            , on Flickr
                            IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

i want one of these badly but the prob is that parts are a bit expensive..... this is a nice one and black too

http://www.mvip.com.au
                              clicky^

Comment

Working...
                              X