We can rebuild it. 91 Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can rebuild it. 91 Golf

I've always been a fan of mk2's and been looking for an opportunity to pick up a project. Last year it came as a tornado red 91 Golf CL. I bought it off a vwvortex member near Waterloo. It's had numerous previous owners starting in Nova Scotia, making its way to Ontario, sitting in a field for two years and finally me for a whopping $150.

These are the pics of the original FS ad.

The motor/tranny were gone. The interior was ripped apart, all the seats and headliner smelled like mold from sitting outside for so long. Both rear drums were seized, the rear quarters needed replacing, the subframe/suspension/rear beam/brakes all looked like they come off the titanic. I was told the main fuel pump and the intermediate pump were dead. None of the door latches worked and the rear hatch was rotted along the window seal.

However it was a two door, it had no power steering, no ac, no sunroof. All the things I wanted. The floors were solid and it didn't have the famous mk2 windshield surround rot.
    The guy said if I didn't buy he was going to send it off to get scrapped. You see less and less of these on the road here so I bought it. The owner had a flatbed and for a small gas fee was able to tow it to my place the next week.

Con't
    91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

These are the initial engine bay shots.

Interior

Started with removing the hood, taking off the rotted front crossmember and rad support.
    Bolt heads for the front rebar/crossmember were severely rusted, it was a real pain in the ass to get them off you had to continually downsize the size from metric to imperial and hammer the socket on before trying it again. Forget air tools.

Removed more stuff from the bay, brake booster, cables, bay harness, brake hardlines etc.

Rusted battery tray

Found this when I took off the fenders. You can see the hood support bracket there too. Not too safe.

Removed the Dash, HVAC box, fusebox, meters worth of ghetto speaker wiring.

Comment

I picked up a battery tray and a pair of rear quarters for the car off http://www.typ-17.de
      The stock one is held in by a number of spot welds that need to be drilled out.

Got to stripping the bay.

Numerous oem holes were patched, rust cut out etc.

The whole time I was praying that the bolts wouldn't brake or have the threads strip.
      The two rear sub frame bolts thread into a sort of threaded cap that is welded to the body.
      The only way to get to them is cutting the floors from the inside and welding them back on if they happen to break off.

Last edited by renngolf; 01-10-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

This was also replicated for the passenger side inner brace.

The inner fenders were also stripped out, stitch welded seams, seam sealed, rust bulleted and painted with rocker guard.

Certain parts of the rails, especially the corners and the seam that joins the firewall to the floor was treated with some rust bullet prior to primer.

Last edited by renngolf; 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

mmm i like, hope you have done alot of progress. that means alot of pictures, we all like pictures you know.
          -Instagram@jdjurhuus
          Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

^^that
            and great work so far. at this rate its gonna be very tidy

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
              mmm i like, hope you have done alot of progress. that means alot of pictures, we all like pictures you know.
              Hopefully enough to satisfy interest until I can start working on it again when it warms up.

Scrap

A bit more progress on the floors. Looking back I wouldn't do this again but its the I might as well's that get you. Rear portions were easily cracked and removed with a chisel. The front's were a gummy kind of tar shit that was a nightmare.

Rust Bullet

Seeing Red

Not such an eyesore anymore

Comment

im likin this! im a hugh vw fan!

Comment

I am backtracking posting the progress there is a good chance I might forget certain steps or details. Sorry about that.

Took a break from the body to refurbish the steering rack.

Centered and buttoned up.

Mk3 10.1" Spindles, new bearings, hubs, balljoints, rod ends.
                  Balljoints are coupled with PMW balljoint extenders. The spindle tie rod arm was drilled out to accept a taper sleeve allowing the running of the rod end underneath as opposed to the top to keep the bumpsteer in check.

Out with the old..in with the not as old.

Stitched the front crossmember and repainted it. Its fitted with 4 powerflex bushings and a Bahn Brenner solid front mount.

I got a mk2 subframe with control arms that was in far better shape than the original one.
                  It was still cleaned up, had the seams stitch welded and repainted along with the control arms. Control arms were fitted with R32 rear bushings and poly front. New balljoint hardware.
                  The sway is the OEM 17mm with new links/energy bushings.
                  The tranny mount is G60, rear engine is non-hydro TT heavy duty.
                  The shifter bracket was sourced from another car repainted and fitted with all new bushings. Missing Linkz UHMW relay ball.

If you're ever pressing these at home. Use your old strut top hats.

The one piece I saved of the old subframe were the sway brackets. The bolts snapped off in the nuts. I had to grind them down and weld on some new nuts.

So far all the hardware is new 10.9. Nothing better than new bolts.

Restored a crappy rad support with new latch.
                  Last edited by renngolf; 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Some more pics of the progress.
                    I didn't get any pics of this but the exhaust tunnel heatshield was removed and the shifter box dropped disassembled with a full rebuild kit. While all that stuff was out any spots of rust were wire wheeled away, covered in rust bullet, seam sealer, a ton of rocker guard. It's a pain in the ass without a rotisserie and crawling underneath it with a grinder and painting after licks bag.

Drivers side rocker guard

Bottom of the floors. You can see just how rusted the beam is in the back along with the tank straps.

Shifter box went back in a long with the tunnel shield. Had to reuse it because it would be impossible to locate one in better shape.

With the shifter box in put up the subframe, bolted it up according to spec.

Also threw in a adhesive backed heatshield since you won't find an oem one and I didn't want to use an enormous mk3 one. The exhaust runs so close to everything there its a piece of mind.

Before throwing in the steering column I replaced the ignition switch in it. Gave it a quick spray in black and regreased the ujoints.
                    Clutch return spring piece snapped on me

I was too lazy to go to the dealer so I just fabbed up a steel one.

Mk3 22mm master cylinder, new reservoir.

Comment

Very nice work! Love mk2's

Comment

So much work.

Comment

Fresh mk3 calipers and carriers. New hardware and boots.

Rotors are simple blank Brembo 10.1"

Steel braided lines from Eurosport

The coils are Weitec XS, Height/dampening.
                          The pads are the thick TRW 15mm's. Loved these as far as longevity is concerned.
                          New vr6 strut mounts,bearings are nuts were used on the front.

Comment

awesome work!!

my buddy has a 92 that he bought in pretty rough shape to and is in the process of restoring, hopefully like this.

props dude, i'm excited to see this "resurrection"

Comment

Looking good! I totally LOVE builds where everything gets renewed and theres loads of pictures. Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X