No announcement yet.

1984 Mercedes 500SEL Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Benz is Classick! lookin' forward to seeing this unfold! Isn't there a way to simply all those Vacuum lines? or even get rid of them!?
    sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckdee View Post
      Classic Benz is Classick! lookin' forward to seeing this unfold! Isn't there a way to simply all those Vacuum lines? or even get rid of them!?
      Everything runs off of the vacuum system... Even the door locks.
      1981 300TD 4 speed
      2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
      , on Flickr
      IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by Marsss View Post
        i want one of these badly but the prob is that parts are a bit expensive..... this is a nice one and black too
        "theres nothing more expensive than a cheap merc"

Comment

This is going to be so cool!
          IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

Well, I had a long finger banging (texting) session with the manager of the shop the car has been at all this time. With the lack of progress and multiple hours wasted, and the car not running any better, the majority of the bill will be voided and I'll take it back to my dealership (a nissan dealer, I'm the used inventory manager/reconditioner) so I can be around to talk to a more trustworthy tech to oversee while the work is being done (a good tech friend has already expressed interest in helping me out with it.) I'll have this current shop finish their job on the plugs and wires (sent the recommended bosch +4 plugs back right away and got NGK non-resistor plugs as recommended over and over again on BW) and when it's back in a shop again we'll tackle the distributor/cap/rotor, voltage regulator, and ignition control module to start. Not to mention the vacuum lines, I don't think a single connection is correct at the moment.

In the meantime, I illustrated my understanding of the vacuum lines in this beast. All the connections (from part A to part B) are on the top half, and the bottom half is defining the parts. Took me a while to get to this point but I think I get it now.

Based on the diagram, this picture would be a thermoswitch and vacuum switch. Good to do research and identify random things that look like they're broken.

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Goddamn, dem vacuum lines -___- Hopefully you'll get that hot mess figured out!
              sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

that is straight up gangster!

Comment

Got the car running on its own today (by resoldering the connections in the overload protection relay,) finished coils and plugs, and got a good start on the vacuum, which took me this whole month to comprehend

And just now I went and picked up my euro front bumper!

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Alright, so I got the following ordered for the car -

- Thermoswitches
                    - Vacuum line
                    - Vacuum fittings
                    - Throttle body switchover valve
                    - Ignition Control/EZL
                    - Voltage regulator
                    - Misc. interior light bulbs

And I have the following ready to go in the car right now -
                    - Brand new fuel pump relay from the dealership
                    - 2 OVP Relays (thanks to Dave!)
                    - Wiper motor/transmission (thanks to Dave! It was badly seized but we got it pretty much unfrozen from soaking in lube for the past 2 days)
                    - 2 factory headunits (thanks to Dave!)
                    4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

this build...frak yes!

Comment

Had the same thing with vacuum lines few weeks ago.. Can be a satisfying job ultimately haha!

Those old Mercs are great, big bodiessss!

Comment

Just another pic stuntin' outside the shop while waiting for parts

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Here's the final result of the used/seized wiper motor assembly I got from a local guy. I was about to return it when the arms didn't move, but a friend of mine (tech at work) offered to let it soak and work the wiper transmission free, which took a whole week. He tested the motor and finished up yesterday, I bought new lock rings to fasten the arms in place, and today I cleaned it up with steel wool. It's so fun when this little stuff works out smoothly for a change

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Well my update for the day is that the injectors are pulled. Couldn't make it to my friend's shop since they closed at noon today, so those will be dropped off on Monday to get cleaned and flow tested.

Anyone know the fuel pressure they run in the car? I can look it up but would like the info from someone who has done it plenty of times before. I searched and all I found was a 3.7 bar minimum, with a new spec of 4.3 to 4.6

Waiting on one more vacuum part for the throttle body, and a couple random hoses that are hard, and we should be ready to put it together after that!
                              4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Photoshop is a good skill to have, thinking of doing the wheels a nice silver or off-silver color. Obviously the conservative drop is also photoshopped in, likely what I would shoot for. Plus get some nice tires on it and a buff, of course.

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Working...
                                X