Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by epearce View Post
    So the piece of sh!t broke down on me the other day. Went to start it after posting something in the post office and it just cranked and wouldn't fire. Checked every electrical plug etc, fuel pump primed, still no luck. Gave up and called a mate to get a rope to tow me to work. He rocked up an hour later, connected the rope and suggested to try and start it one last time. What do you know it started first go....

Two positives I can draw from this as frustration made me forget about driving it soft. Limiter leaving the car park sounded mint and nice black lines were left.
    ? Maybe a relay for your fuel pump, mine plays up every now and then....1st crank nothing.....second crank turns her everytime

Comment

• Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
      ? Maybe a relay for your fuel pump, mine plays up every now and then....1st crank nothing.....second crank turns her everytime
      Thanks! I might swap another one in.

Comment

• Slowly progressing with the rear end, can't wait to get rid of the bottle caps.

Comment

• Looking good, can't wait to see this on some proper wheels!
          Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

• Been meaning to replace the fuel pump since the rebuild. Finally got around to it.

From factory they use a small intank pump that feeds are large external pump.

Decided to ditch that setup and only fit a Walbro GSS340 intank pump. Over kill for what this engine will ever need but I can't trust a 30 year old pump and walbro pumps are cheap.

A few alterations to the factory intank setup and I had it mounted and set at the right height.

New hoses and filter were fitted whilst I was there.

Happy with how it all turned out!

Tested the old intank pump afterwards and it is dead to go with that the filter screen is quite dirty. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to AFRs.

Comment

• Test fitted another tyre and bead blasted it on.

This time a 205/50, an improvement over the 225 but I think I need to try a 195 next.

Thoughts?

Comment

• I have 215/40's on my 10's and think it is perfect. Maybe you are going with too large of a sidewall or the brand you are using runs wide?

95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Yeah you just need to have lower profile tires as Earl just said. 45 at least but 40 is better.

Comment

• Tyres are really limited here in aus, alot off low profile tyre's are illegal also
                    I cant find any 195/40/16 that I didnt have to order

Comment

• Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
                      Tyres are really limited here in aus, alot off low profile tyre's are illegal also
                      I cant find any 195/40/16 that I didnt have to order
                      195/40 is starting to be too low profile. I don't know about laws in there but at least the online shops are offering lots of low profile tyres:

Explore 195/45 R16 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

Explore 205/45 R16 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

Comment

• Thanks for the help everyone.

Think I might try 195/45 next!

Comment

• If you want an idea of stretch this site is great: http://www.tyrestretch.com/

It seems no one submitted photos of a 195/45 on a 10 though. That'll be quite a stretch.

Looks like the question has been asked here though=D http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14153
                          95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
                            If you want an idea of stretch this site is great: http://www.tyrestretch.com/

It seems no one submitted photos of a 195/45 on a 10 though. That'll be quite a stretch.

Looks like the question has been asked here though=D http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14153
                            yeah i saw that sight.

thanks for the link!

Comment

• You're welcome=)
                              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• The next big job, rear end rebuild:

Pressure cleaned underneath on the hoist at work before hand much to the boss's dismay.

Coilovers and exhaust removed first. Followed by brakes and lines, diff and driveshafts.

With the help of a good friend in less the 2 hours it was stripped.

No rusted or seized bolts, nothing overly tight. All went as planned.
                                Found a few worn parts as expected; subframe bushes shot, pitman arms shot, slight play in wheel bearings.

Now the big job of putting it all back together so it is like new.

Comment

Working...
                                X