Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid MotorUnion's Long-Overdue Build Thread: Project X, Start to Finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid MotorUnion's Long-Overdue Build Thread: Project X, Start to Finish.

Table of Contents:

Chapter I: Post #1
    Chapter II: Post #12
    Chapter III: Post #26
    Chapter IV: Post #36
    Chapter V: Post #51
    Chapter VI: Post #59
    Chapter VII: Post #65
    Chapter VIII: Post #72

Chapter I: It Begins

Now that winter’s coming back into full swing, we were reminded that we’d never really made a fully fleshed-out, proper build thread for the X5. We were so wrapped up in secrecy at that point, that we never really got to show you many of the cool mid-construction shots of the X5 as it was being built by hand at FMU headquarters. After the front bumper began construction, we put a moratorium on all Project X content, preferring to show the big pieces during its big reveal at Tuner Galleria and MFest. But those are almost a year behind us, so let's get to showing you everything we couldn't. In true build thread form, let’s start all the way back at the beginning, shall we?

So, in true build thread form, let’s start all the way back at the beginning, shall we?

Project X, before we gave it that name, wasn’t even our car to begin with. Rather, it was a wrecked X5 brought in by a customer with the goal of fixing it and giving it back to the owner. Well, as time went on, the customer gave us the car, but disappeared shortly thereafter. After plenty of time has passed, and after plenty of attempts to get a hold of the owner, we were left with one choice – put a mechanic’s lien on it. So we did, and that’s how we ended up owning this Bavarian beast.

Ideas had been swirling in our head ever since we took possession of the car. We knew one thing from the outset – it wasn’t going to stay stock. But the second question was a bit trickier – what were we going to do with it? After plenty of thought had been given to the subject, we settled on creating a vehicle that oozed the aesthetic of urban assault, with the typical Fluid goal of launching fireballs. So we started doing some drawings and got to work.

The wheels and tires were the first addition that took almost no time to settle on. In searching for the most aggressive SUV setup we could, we settled on Cragar’s steel wheels for that heavy-duty steelie look, and a set of Dick Cepek tires. These aren’t your normal tires – they are covered in skulls and bones, which doesn’t give off a very happy-go-lucky, take-your-kids-to-soccer aesthetic that’s typical of a normal X5.

From there, we needed to set the X5 up such that the tire clearance wasn’t a problem. Instead of trying to find a kit on the internet, we made our own custom lift kit for the X5’s OE suspension setup. Featuring a billet aluminum set of spacers, it lifted up the X5 between 1 and 2 inches, providing the clearance we needed.

Finally, we made the exhaust for it. As with all our other custom setups, this featured nothing but 304 stainless steel and TIG welding. The setup is relatively large, with the midsection running 3” pipes up to the rear, where we expand to 4” at the tips. We went with a different routing system, as well, choosing to exit the pipes through the rear tow hook panel on the rear bumper. Sometimes it’s nice being able to showcase your craftsmanship front and center. Plus, the two tips directly next to one another could provide for much better fireballing.

Well, that about sums up our first post on the build thread. There are 8 parts in total, so 7 more are on the way!
    Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Yay, this should get interesting.
    I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

awesome.

awesome.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Thanks, guys. Now that we don't have to worry about releasing "too much information" on the car before it's in the public eye, I've been crawling through all the old photos of the build. I forgot how many I'd taken, truth be told. I've already narrated and coded-out the first 4 parts, so I'll probably do one or two per week.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
        www.stanceworks.com

Comment

looking forward to more
          Representing Norway Group

Comment

Awesomesauce!

Can't wait for updates
            /O O==[][]==O O\
            --------------------------

Comment

Looks mean, looking forward to more updates.

Comment

Most excellent.
                Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
                Internet high five for you.

Comment

Yay!

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
                  you sir, win this battle.
                  “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

Finally! I've been waiting for this build thread to be released. It's never fun seeing whats going to happen at FMU.com and then never actually seeing it lol.
                    BMW E38
                    That White Evo
                    -SOLD
                    instagram @kbuss
                    flickr

Comment

FINALLY! Ive looked for vids and pics of this all over the net and only found a handful!
                      sigpic

Comment

Chapter II: Start Swaggin’

Alright, this will be a smaller post before we get into the big 3, otherwise known as the three major parts of Project X’s custom fabrication. For now, let’s zoom in a bit and focus on some of the smaller things.

If you remember, we received this X5 as a heap of metal waiting to be reborn into something that isn’t waiting for a junkyard. Given its rough-and-tumble looks upon arriving at our shop, we needed a few new body parts to make the car whole again. Just about everything on the front needed replacing, so we sought out some new headlights and kidney grilles, along with a hood and whatever else needed replacing from the front end.

We also made mention of the wheels and tires in the last post. While the lift kit helped eliminate most issues with the wheels/tires fitting in the wheel wheels, it didn’t solve all of them. The last issues can be remedied with a set of spacers. So we made some. We weren’t going for extreme poke, so they’re not 55 mm or anything, just enough to get the wheels/tires to play nicely with the wheel wells.

Finally, we knew that even though it’s very focused on being rough around the edges, the final build of the X5 needed some creature comforts. We had an extra set of E39 M5 seats sitting around the shop, so we spent some time getting them to fit in the X5’s interior. Thankfully it’s not a very cramped area, so this job didn’t take too long.

Alright, first part of the Big Three is up next!
                        Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                        www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Oh damn.

Comment

Love the seats, whole project looks like a blast!

Comment

you had me at the first picture. looking forward to the rest of the build.

also, how does the 'mechanics lien' work? ive never heard of it before and i dont think we have it here in nz. did you essentially get it for free? that would be awesome!
                              sigpic
                              Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
                              Build pics and randomness - www.facebook.com/pimppalacecustoms
                              Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

Working...
                              X