318 BMW Performance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 318 BMW Performance Question

I am trying to consolidate my stable of cars and I am looking to get a used BMW. I was looking at older 5 series, but there's a lot of 318s for sale for dirt cheap. My previous daily was a Mazdaspeed3 GT so I know I am not going to have the same power on tap, but is the 1.8 going to be painfully slow?

On the other hand, the 5 series seems like more of a pain in the ass to get low.

Thanks for any help.
    Ask me about Mazdas (FWD or RWD)!

1993 BMW 318i - Why do I own this car? Lime green.
    1991 Mazda Miata - For sale.

First of all, you posted in the wrong section.

Secondly, what years are you looking at, an e21 is far from a e36. Likewise with the 5 series.

Whats you're budget, how low do you want to go, what are your goals for the car?

Comment

Moved.

I've never driven a 318, but I would imagine it is REALLY slow

Comment

I was going to put it in Off Topic but this section is described as "The general style discussion forum, as well as a place to post your car, or any car for that matter." I panicked!

I am still kinda learning the chassis codes (every car I've owned since 2002 has been a Mazda) but all the cheap ones I see for sale are E36es. After selling my MS3 and RX-7 I have $2000 cash in hand with extra cash left over for tax, title, and tag.

That gets me cars like this (I would only get a manual though):

Should I be looking for an older chassis? I am stuck either driving the gutted Miata or borrowing the truck from my mom. Both are lame options for a daily.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

Get an e30 318

Pleazse please please DO NOT get a Ti

Comment

I will expand my search, any mechanical things to look for besides the obvious?

Comment

Do your best to find a '90-'91(I think some '89s as well). Those are the E30s with the M42(dual overhead cam) engine as well as the more desirable plastic bumpers. I want a '91 318is sooooooo bad I think it's unhealthy.

Comment

I might just settle for a 1.8, are they pretty well tuned from the factory or would the usual intake, header, exhaust do more than make noise? I keep telling myself I want to go slow and low but deep down I know I am going to ruin this car somehow.

Comment

So this is pretty close to me:

It seems like a fair price but you guys are kind of saying I should go older for maybe one with a less than slow engine?

Comment

318's are pretty slow little cars. They are respectable for what they are, but it is going to be almost painful compared to the Mazda's you have now. There isn't much to gain power-wise either; BMW seems to do a pretty good job of getting the most out of them from the factory.

5's generally are nice cars. If the choice came down to either a 318 or a 5, I would take the 5 even not knowing which one. And that is coming from a 318is owner.

Comment

If you get a 318, just swap an M50 in to it.
                      -David
                      active autowerke | e46non.com | nitto-tire | dtm-spec.net | precision-sport.com

Comment

you could swap in the 2.5 liter engine from the 325, or if you want power, swap in the 2.5 and turbo it

or just swap in an M50
                        Dope Shit - http://dasis300.wordpress.com/

Fan page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cool-C...?v=wall&ref=ts

Comment

I guess I COULD swap the 'big' engine in down the line, would the 5-speed from a 318 match up with a larger 3-series engine? I know these sorts of questions should be pretty newbie stuff but I figure you guys know the straight dope for this kind of thing.

Comment

Did some searching while I am at work:

Engine swap in 3 series.
                            Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Bleh, the 1.8 seems pretty weak when turbo charged too. What a shame, BMW.

Comment

Working...
                              X