Shirley - 1987 BMW 535i e28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirley - 1987 BMW 535i e28

Aghh, didn't want to have to do this... But living in Vegas with the emission control sucks. this is kind of a feeler. But I'm really torn on what to do.

I'm the 3rd owner, first 15 or so years was in New Jersey. Guy I bought it from said it was a family friend of theirs that had multiple BMWs and this was his "every once in a while" car. Second owner drove it from NJ to Vegas and used it while he was in dental school.

I bought the car last May (2009), and have been drivin' it daily ever since. My commute is about 20 minutes (with traffic) and she has never failed me. Shirley has got about 212,000 miles on her, but the odometer is stuck on 208,400. Nothing mechanical has ever gone wrong, (everything electrical works; windows, OBC, lights...) other than the air/heat doesn't work. Fan won't come on, and I haven't ever had a car with A/C so it didn't bother me enough to care to dive into it. The previous owner had a new deck that got stolen (someone cut the wires), so now the stock one is back in, not attached/hooked up.

Also, she won't pass smog. I've replaced air & fuel filters, plugs, 02 sensor, seafoamed her... basically everything except for the cat (because I don't have the money). She's really close to passing, HC number was about 60pts too high, but I can't figure it out.

She was bone stock when I got her, so I've done all the work on it.
    Wheels/Tires: BBS RZ 0469 (e38 7 series BMW wheels); 16x8 +23 / Falken 512 205/45 (with about 3000 miles on 'em give or take). Decent amount of stretch, nothin' too major or it wouldn't look right in the wheel wells...
    Suspension: Cut stock springs; it actually rides really, really nice. No bumpstops, never had any problem with unseating or anything. And there's absolutely no rubbing. I was gonna do spacers of course, but the DMV had other plans for me...
    Exterior: The body is actually in pretty nice shape. No dents, a couple minor scratches. Paint is faded on the top. The hood is spraypainted flannel/plaid brown&black. If sold, I'd rather throw another one on there than have someone rockin/jockin my stuff...
    Grille is flat-blacked, bumpers are flat-blacked and tucked in as far as possible, turn indicators are transparent flat-blacked, taillights are all red, other than reverse light, badges are gone, roundels are in decent shape.
    I've got 2 Volvo lips mounted on the front, attached to the bumper is a 240 airdam, then bolted to that is a 950 wagon lip mounted upside down. Matches up about as good as double junkyard lips are gonna... lol They've both been texture painted flat-black. One inside headlight has been removed, and I put a Mercedes fog light in the other inside one. Still got both of them, both still work.
    Interior: Overall, pretty nice shape for 23 years old. Front seats are a little worn, passenger has a duct taped spot on the bolster (call me crazy, but I bought it like that, and think it adds to the character of Shirley). I have the headrests, just took them out because of how gangster she looks with the "lowback" style. All the seat controls work. Rear seats, I think there's been about 5 occasions where people have sat back there. Headliner is perfect. Dash is cracked, not too bad, but it's Vegas...
    Running gear: 535i, 5 speed. Shifts perfectly, clutch feels great. Owner changed the oil as part of selling it to me, and I've since changed the oil twice (full synthetic). Air filter, fuel filter, all new plugs, O2 sensor, fan switches, have all been replaced by me.

In all honesty, I **** even thinking about getting rid of Shirley... I love this car, but I gotta do somethin. She still pulls hard, shifts smooth, clutch feels great, brakes easy... just those dang emission standards are killin me.

Feel free to ask me any questions or whatever you want, on here,
    on facebook
    or email [codyleebrady@gmail.com]
    or call/text 702.335.4496

On to the pictures...

Thanks a lot for lookin

Originally posted by dav3design
    ...I have only just cottoned on to what is happening. lol

I love this car dude.. Would be such a shame to see you loose her!....

Good luck with the feelin, Hopefully you end up making the right choice and not regreting it.
    Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
      I love this car dude.. Would be such a shame to see you loose her!....

Good luck with the feelin, Hopefully you end up making the right choice and not regreting it.
      Thanks man, I hope I can find another alternative to sellin her...

Comment

Nice hood!!!!

Comment

Price?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
            Nice hood!!!!
            Thanks

Originally posted by Geschlecht View Post
            Price?
            Throw me an offer

Comment

Ok, I was just wondering because right now I'm torn between getting a mkv jetta and having a car payment, or spending the cash I would put down on an e28. I have an uncle in vegas that restores cars too so I could have him pick it up if I decide that way.

I have to get a new car before the semester starts or shortly there after, so it will probably depend on if I get a job or not in the next two weeks.

Comment

Oh nice dude, just let me know!

Comment

I know you don't know me in any way,

but I just feel the need to post here as I follow your car & your photography.

your car is SO nice. It looks like alotta fun & thoroughly personalized/ attention to details that shows you really do care about Shirley.

I also don't know your situation, but for whatever you think you're going to get for it,

what replacement would you get that not everyone else has?

& what if you just worked a part time job for a little while atop your daily responsibilities to equally bring in the same kind of cash that you're expecting to sell for?

I just really would feel bad seeing it go I guess.

a heartfelt, please don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Classifieds Section. Rules and Guidelines
                    Post Your Information
                    - Where you are located.
                    - Where the part is located (if it's not at the same place you are).
                    - Contact info. If you are not very active on StanceWorks, please include your email address or phone number so members that are interesting in what you're selling can get in touch with you.
                    - All threads need to have a price listed.
                    - Are you willing to ship?

Throw up a price

I may be interested, but I don't want to play the lowball/highball game.
                    I have to return some video tapes...

'88 535is - head, cam, intake, tune, coilovers...

Comment

From one E28 Bronzit owner to another, you've done a damn good job with your car. Sell it and you wont have any regret... once you find another E28 that is! Don't fall in love with anything that can't love you back! Building these damn things are what makes owning them the best.

Sell It and don't look back... I'll have a fresh bronzit if you need to reenact the Shirley Build!

Either way good luck with whatever you do!

Comment

what are u looking to get($$$)?? tags expired?
                        -Jorge-

Comment

Lowest I could go is $2000, and yeah tags are expired.

Comment

I really wish this wasn't happening.

I know I keep writing in your thread, but I'm just getting SO aggervated that your breaking up with Shirley.

so much so in fact, that I've been sitting here since before noon just starring at this thread wondering how I can 'protect her' in someway, but . . .

in all honesty, I just can't.

for one, I'd have to fly in & bring it back to the eastcoast.

for two, I already drive an E28 with roof rack & tuckin tire all around on E38 meshies. my bumpers are pushed in & rubber sprayed . . . & since the intake is DIRECTLY behind the one high beam, I too had planned on doing the same as you.

LOL, ROFL, & all o dat.

for three, I'm not sure what I could even do the maximize the car past what you have already done.

so in the end,

I am being left SO sad.

if you wouldn't mind . . . it would help my weaksauce emotional state if you PM me your future ride.

LOL, I know I'm crazy . . . LOL, I know it seems like I'm full of estrogen, but
                            what-the-fcuk-ever dude!
                            Last edited by FABEL; 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I really wish this wasn't happening.

I know I keep writing in your thread, but I'm just getting SO aggervated that your breaking up with Shirley.

so much so in fact, that I've been sitting here since before noon just starring at this thread wondering how I can 'protect her' in someway, but . . .

in all honesty, I just can't.

for one, I'd have to fly in & bring it back to the eastcoast.

for two, I already drive an E28 with roof rack & tuckin tire all around on E38 meshies. my bumpers are pushed in & rubber sprayed . . . & since the intake is DIRECTLY behind the one high beam, I too had planned on doing the same as you.

for three, I'm not sure what I could even do the maximize the car past what you have already done.

so in the end,

I am being left SO sad.

if you wouldn't mind . . . it would help my weaksauce emotional state if you PM me your future ride.

LOL, I know I'm crazy . . . LOL, I know it seems like I'm full of estrogen, but
                              what-the-fcuk-ever dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X