Have some e28 questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have some e28 questions...

I have noticed there are quite a few e28's on here. I am looking at buying one that looks to be in good shape with everything working, but it has a little over 200,000 miles on it. Are the engines in these pretty reliable? I am not too worried. I am sure it will last a while and if something goes horribly wrong I could imagine it being pretty easy to find a replacement engine. Thanks for the help in advance.

If it has been some what maintained, you should be fine. I know a guy in Houston that just sold his with nearly 500,000 miles on it. If the motor does crap out on you, replacement engines are normally found for ~$500.

Comment

200k is basically low-miles at this point. You should be fine.

If it's a 528e, do the timing belt. If it's a 535i/is, you'll be fine. Do the chain guides and tensioner if you're paranoid.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Okay thanks. Right now I am swaying between getting an e12 and an e28 with the 3.5, or getting a e28 with the 2.8 that is in a little better condition. I'll have one of the other by the end of the week.

Comment

200k is hardly broken in on an E28.

Rusty had 500+k miles on the engine before I pulled it, still in running shape.
          Ratty has 300+k
          My white e28 had 350+k
          Red had 275k

I honestly wouldn't care about mileage. Condition matters, not much else.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
            200k is hardly broken in on an E28.

Rusty had 500+k miles on the engine before I pulled it, still in running shape.
            Ratty has 300+k
            My white e28 had 350+k
            Red had 275k

I honestly wouldn't care about mileage. Condition matters, not much else.
            wat....

Comment

Originally posted by Deltron View Post
              wat....
              he did a lot of cross country in that thing..
              Last edited by Drama; 07-28-2010, 12:05 AM.
              |My Blog|flickr| Currently own: '96 S-10, and '97 Maxima; Soon to own: '95 S14

Originally posted by DuWerk
              Drama you are like god
              Originally posted by SwearBear
              Lol, yes its a 5 speed manuel. I **** automatic >.< And just because its a kia doesnt mean it doesnt have guts or power. 273whp with extreamly very little done to it like less then $100 done to it.

Comment

I say go e12. Haven't seen many of those around the site. Do something different, nah mean?
                Christof Goulart
                FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

Ya. I still think doing something different isn't about what car it is or what wheels its the over all look of the car, but I really want that e12. I may get both. It has a near perfect body but the engine has an idle problem. It runs pretty good but it wont idle for long without dying. Also the 5 speed in it is pretty loose feeling. I really like the fact that the e28 I looked at the other day was in great shape and the a/c works great. Being in Texas that is a priority lol. Anyone try to fix the dash cracks? I would really like to avoid replacing the dash, so I'm going to try a few things before I resort to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama View Post
                    he did a lot of cross country in that thing..
                    i know he did.

im just surprised it still drives... better then my E30 with 198k too.

Comment

www.e28.nl is a dutch site maybe you like some info there...

The rear suspension rubbers, get worn out.. singing diffs.. (diff internals e30 and e36 FIT)
                      M30B30 is the engine code.. think about coolant use (cylinderhead cracks under camschaft)
                      chainspanners, oilconsumption (valve seals) clearance on pistons cold engine..
                      I dunno in america where you are from..

BUT also rust.. around schockabsorberspots underbonnet, wheel arches, underside doors, carjack point underside..

I had a E28 also.. mine was oke there.. i wanted to make it my drifter.. but i bought an engine for my
                      M3 E30.

See here my EX 518i 1984 forrestfound

after washing

Currenty owned cars:
                      VW passat 3b 1997 daily on 19 inches
                      BMW E30 M3 S50B30 waiting for summer 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X