Do you fuss over your cars milage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you fuss over your cars milage?

So I'm planning on doing a pretty lengthy road trip in my Evo VIII when summer comes around and came across a lot of people who are hesitant of driving long distances in their cars because they don't want to put a lot of miles on them..

I'm not gonna have a go at you for wanting to keep milage low, I guess we all appreciate our cars in our own way. This just feels kind of silly to me though to be honest, I'm the opposite, I want to put as many miles as I can on my Evo.. I wanna put my shit in the back, bikes on the roof and drive it until something breaks so I can fix it and keep driving it. Now if your car is a track only vehicle then obviously they are different circumstances..

I am just curious as to what you guys think, who is conscious of milage and why? Personally I wouldn't think twice about driving non stop for 6 months, visiting places and racking up miles. That's my favourite part of owning a car. Nothing better than that sense of adventure and freedom. Now if you don't drive long distances because your oil pan is 3mm from the road then that's another reason. I just wanna hear from other people, if you're gonna road trip, do you take your own car or does it stay at home and you take the backup car? Evo is first choice any day any time for me, any chance to drive it I'll take, especially if it's an adventure.

My car is by no means the perfect road trip vehicle but I got roof racks to put on it so who gives a shit..

cars are built to be driven, so drive the shit out of it. put as many miles as you possibly can on it. keep up the maintenance, she'll be fine

ive done 3x 5000+km trips in the last 12 months in my e36 and loved every minute of it. likewise with the 70,000+km since the engine swap about 3 years ago, and i want to drive it more.

havent driven the car for over 2 months while its been getting bodywork done, and im having withdrawls.

Comment

As said keep the maintenance up to date and you'll be fine...
      I'd more likely to buy a car with 150k and a good service record,
      then one with 80k and no record at all...

Think about it like your gf, you both have a "drive" when the feeling is right,
      and not store it in the garage to keep it desirable for the next guy...

If there are parts that are likely to break, carry a spare with you...
      You may not drive it as hard as when you are in reach off a shop...

Cars are meant to be driven, it's what they were invented for...
      If you like it, do it

Comment

Im glad you guys share my thoughts, regular maintenance and also carrying a spare of anything prone to failure. Keen to hear from some people who do care though, just wanna see the reasoning why.. Funny you mentioned the GF thing, I remember reading something similar haha.

Comment

meh, miles schmiles
          haha
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

derb... had around 250 000km on original odo.. and swapped engine from car that had 440 000km on odo.. aaaand speedo from car that had 230 000ish? on it.. now 280 000ish.. and wait what? like 500 000 on the engine, revlimiter everyday

Pff the km's full open trottle allday everyday!

aint care old beaters rocks!
            Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
            Now: MB W211 320cdi
            Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

I care. I don't mind fun miles like road trips, but bullshit daily stuff, especially a work commute, I'd rather save that for a beater.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

^ Yep. I've got three modes of transport. One's unreliable (and currently torn down for paint), one's expensive to fix, and one's cheap and awesome and has a decent air conditioner.

Comment

Not driving your car to keep the miles low for the next owner is like not having sex with your girlfriend a lot so she's more fresh for the next guy.

Comment

Haha that's the quote I was thinking of, sums up my thoughts pretty accurately! Understandable though if you have numerous vehicles and one is practical. Unfortunately for me I couldn't keep any car practical if my life depended on it.

Comment

When it comes to miles, i am more inclined to buy something with 200k+ before something with under 200k. Gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that the car I'm driving has a story behind it, good or bad.

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                      Originally posted by nickskater09
                      I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

i care. i will not thoughts enjoyment mls including road journeys, however bullshit daily material, specifically a function travelling, I'd personally alternatively conserve that for just a beater.

Comment

Unless you're driving a concourse or Pebble Beach car, drive the fucking shit out of it.

Life is too short to care about mileage.
                          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                          Originally posted by Ollie
                          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Eh, not really. My Mercedes is low miles for a '96 so I like to keep them lower but I don't hesitate to drive it. My S14 and MK5 are whatever, I'll drive them to the sun and back. I like driving too much to care and I don't want to waste time driving boring stuff.
                            IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

I have to tell myself to not care. With as unusual as my car is, it pains me a bit to rack up the miles, but it's still just a car.

We only take my car out of the city because my wife's car is older and has a lot more miles... not that I want to take a tuned econobox with solid motor mounts very far anyway; that shit gets annoying.

Put another 100 miles on mine last weekend, including several miles of gravel roads. Put that clear bra to work!

Comment

Working...
                              X