Black or yellow headlight bowls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black or yellow headlight bowls.

Ok, so Im thinking this topic can fit here.

I see some BMW members on here with yellow high beam bowls and I think it looks clean and has some pop in a non attention whore kinda way.

So I decided to do it on my 2000 LS ( pics come tomorrow ).

It looks pretty nice IMO and Im doing the fogs the same way I just hope BMW purists and elitists dont hang me to a cross.

Now, uppon my search for a DIY I found lots of E46 guys and really BMW guys doing it as well as doing black.

Now I thought about this before plenty of times and they say to use any black paint but I cant see it being functional at all.

So, anyone on SW with black headlight bowl please post them up and night shots help most.

Im thinking I can use VHT Night shades rather than any black paint. I noticed that my yellow high beams looks yellow from head on but when standing aside the car looking forward or behind the wheel there is still plenty of usable light thats close to the 5600k and really just a spot of yellow in the middle. This means that the bulbs will shine through the paint enough for a good amount of reflection off the underlying chrome like layer.

Thoughts?

Slacked on pics. Sorry.

No one? Come on.

Anyway, I say this = win!

Gotta get around to do the fog/driving lights the same but I need to finish restoring the lenses.

Need something to occupy me till I figure out this stance problem.

Comments?

Suggestions?

Comment

Looks great! I did the same mod on mine a few months ago and did a city light mod this past weekend.

The fogs would look good yellow IMO.

Comment

I just did the fogs but I gotta restore the lens before I go around showing it off.

Comment

I think it depends on the car, but you did a nice job, I like it.

stanceNeon | halcyonphoto.net

Comment

That looks sick, still needs color matched sidemarkers thought

AmberLamps..... Get rid of them!

Comment

I was thinking about doing it to mine as well. Just get some stained glass paint from Joanns.

Comment

Originally posted by cabezzz View Post
                That looks sick, still needs color matched side markers thought
                Thanks guys.

I smoked my side markers with RIT dye. Its that stuff you use for dying clothing. Just dye the lens in a pot the same way it recommends for cloth.

What do you mean by color match? Like body color? I dont know if I like that idea plus I have to bleach the dye off these every time I need inspection. They are big pricks about that stuff here in DE and its not done at any old garage. Its done at the DMV so money under the table only gets you in trouble. I know a few people that have been there,..lol!

I have clear lenses with color matched bezels but in the US the DOT wants inspections and law enforcement to supposedly crack down on things. You can have smoked or clear turn signal lenses as long as you have amber bulbs but as far as side markers those need to be amber and need to be reflective in case your cars broke down on the side of the road at night with no power to the lights.

I know some of you guys are gunna say " I get away with that all the time " but that dont matter cause I dont

I got the fog light bowls painted now but I gotta keep wet sanding the lenses. They are still a bit opaque.

Comment

Certain cars can pull it off, i like. Go for it!

Comment

i like it
                    95 240SX - 2JZ
                    95 Silvia - KA-T

Comment

Thank you, thank you.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more experience opening up headlights. I opened plenty up so far myself.

I use the oven to open the ones with Grey glue and I have dremeled those with black RTV. Someone that has a bit of a side job doing stuff like this tells me both glues are the same ( they are different types of glue for sure ) and that they can be opened the same way.

Im getting a 2006 front end and they have black sealant so anyone here ever opened lights with black sealant as opposed to the Grey putty like glue?

Comment

The headlights look great on the LS man.

Comment

Looks awesome!

What paint did you use on them?

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Thanks.

Just some cheap Krylon Yellow Stained Glass paint from the craft store.

Should see them now that I finished restoring the lenses.

Comment

Looks clean, nice work. I agree about color matching the side markers, just pick up another set of amber sidemarkers, sand them down, prime them and paint them silver, then clear. Just pop them out and put the ones in that will pass when it's time for your inspection. Yellow inners look good!

Comment

Working...
                              X