Tein Drift Spec Coilovers for BMW E21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tein Drift Spec Coilovers for BMW E21

There is a distinct lack of drift/race parts for e21's, and coilovers are at the top of that list. The few off the shelf options are expensive (and even worse if you live in New Zealand like I do), so I'm adapting some different ones. I was initially going to build some coilovers with a DIY kit and some adjustable Koni shocks, but like everything else, the shocks are too expensive over here. I also like the Tein design where the ride height is adjusted by winding the whole shock up or down, allowing full shock travel at any ride height (and separate spring pre-loading too). Building custom suspension will also let me go loooow, which is nice. Used Tein JDM parts FTW

ok so heres what I'm doing...

I got these Tein 'Drift Spec Winding Master Type HE' units from an S14 Nissan Silvia (these were actually meant for an S15 though), seen here next to my e21 struts (sans spring perches)

the whole shock body is threaded, so I'm having a tube internally threaded to match, which will get welded to the e21 strut. The strut will be cut off at about 1"-2" long to do this.

As can be seen here, the Tein shock is the same OD as the e21 strut, so the tube will be snug on the outside of the e21 strut tube that it will be welded to.

The shocks also came with Tein camber plates, so I've gotta decide whether to use these or the new ones which I already have.

I don't know what the spring rates are, but they are HARD! Might have to get them tested and buy some softer ones.

anyway, thats the plan at the moment, I hope to get these back from my engineer in a fortnight or so. will update picks then.

Rear coilovers are still in the works, will update that too when I get round to doing them.

Cheers,

340i
    sigpic
    Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
    Build pics and randomness - www.facebook.com/pimppalacecustoms
    Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Great job dude, congratulations on the project!

Comment

cheers, its been about 7 years in the making and I'm finally gonna have some coilovers, so I'm quite excited about getting some decent stance going on. The ride height is going to be lower than it previously sat on bottomed out shocks...
      sigpic
      Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
      Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

progress...

Went to visit my engineer yesterday, and my custom suspension bits were built and ready to be tig'd onto the e21 struts. e21 on Teins here we come! :lol:

pics...

This end slots over the cut-down strut tube

The shock threads into here...

I also purchased some more wheels, BBS Strosek 17x9 et20, off a GTR skyline. I basically got them for the price of the brand new tyres they came with, so I'm just a little bit chuffed with the buy... The tyres will get sold as I'll be running different ones.

The plan is to get some 5x120 to 5x114.3 adaptors, rebuild the rears to be 11" wide, paint the centres black, and maybe add some gold spiked bolts to finish them off.

pics...

and the disassembly begins...

thoughts/opinions?
        sigpic

Comment

Very crafty. Interested to seem them all welded together.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
            Very crafty. Interested to seem them all welded together.
            haha thanks.

They're getting welded this coming week and then I'm havnig the welds xrayed (required by law in NZ for suspension modifications).
            sigpic

Comment

so are you welding the knuckle to that part you got machined? im interested in doing something like this for my e30

Comment

Originally posted by ZX88 View Post
                so are you welding the knuckle to that part you got machined? im interested in doing something like this for my e30
                na, it will be welded to the strut tube. Its illegal to weld to cast jor forged suspension components in nz, but welding to the strut tube is fine. its also much easier.
                sigpic

Comment

Its getting close to what I want. I think it will look lower once I get the flares on, rather than the cut guards, which make it look higher than it is. If its still not low enough, I can still change to my other camber plates, which are much lower profile.

Next week, the rears!
                  sigpic

Comment

So you cut down the original strut tube and then slip that threaded "adapter" down over it and weld the "adapter" in place? That's pretty crafty.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                      So you cut down the original strut tube and then slip that threaded "adapter" down over it and weld the "adapter" in place? That's pretty crafty.
                      yip, pretty much. I have a good local engineer who can pretty much make whatever I dream up. These didn't actually cost me much too, just some thick tube steel and about 3 hours labour for the cutting, machining and welding.

Another option would have been to cut the weld off from the bottom side of the macpherson strut, then push out the whole strut tube, then make an adaptor that slots in there and gets welded from the bottom, but I couldn't do this because of the law here that says I cant weld to a cast or forged suspension component.

The main logic behind building the suspension this way is that drift spec teins are really good but cost a heap brand new, so using second hand ones saves me money and lets me get them valved exactly how I want them. its a win-win i think.

next week, the rears...
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice. I'm a sucker for fabrication threads.

Aren't you a bit concerned by the age/condition of the coilovers though?

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                          Nice. I'm a sucker for fabrication threads.

Aren't you a bit concerned by the age/condition of the coilovers though?
                          Not really, when rebuilt they will be pretty much as good as new ones. Also, even without a rebuild, they're at least 25 years newer than the car they're going into...

On the rears, I went to pick up some more Teins, but the guy selling them lied about what they were, and had some average non-adjustable type grrr!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Awesome work, I run Tein Drift Specs on my S14a and there great coilovers. As for spring rates there 12/10kg so pretty damn stiff but worth it for the handling my cars like a point and shoot go kart now .

Comment

Originally posted by LewyS14a View Post
                              Awesome work, I run Tein Drift Specs on my S14a and there great coilovers. As for spring rates there 12/10kg so pretty damn stiff but worth it for the handling my cars like a point and shoot go kart now .
                              wow, those are hard springs! i was going to go 10/8kg, but arent sure now. i've got a few different ones i'll try and then just see from there whether to go harder or softer. custom front and rear swaybars are on the cards too, so that will change things when i add those.

good thing springs are the cheap part of the suspension build!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X